Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broken Wet Bolt

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Broken Wet Bolt

Hi All, wondering if anyone has had this issue, we arrived in Asheville the other night, leveled the rig and my wife noticed a bolt on the rear stabilizer pad, turn out it was half of the wet bolt that holds the leaf spring to the hanger. Thankfully the other half was still in there holding the leaf spring in. We called GD the next morning and they authorized the repair right away. Looking at the half that fell out it looks like the bolt split right where it's drilled for the grease channel. They claim this is a very isolated issue. My concern is for the remaining bolts, this is something that could have ended bad. Has anyone had this happen? It's the Dexter 8k axles, I called Dexter and gave them the axle serial number, they said the axles were not ordered with a hardware kit so no way of telling whose bolt it is.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_6428.jpg   IMG_6429.jpg   IMG_6430.jpg   IMG_6431.jpg  
    2021 Momentum 349M
    Full Body Paint, 8K Axles, 20k Reese Goosebox
    2019 Chevrolet Silverado High Country 3500 SRW
    Mountain Bikes and Dirt Jumpers

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, that kind of stuff can happen, but very rarely. You just were the one in the barrel this time.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It snapped in the middle vs the end. I would think it is a bad bolt. Plus it is jagged for lack of a better term vs a clean break. Did you do the install? I would send it to the manufacturer.
    Randy and Kris

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stroguy View Post
    It snapped in the middle vs the end. I would think it is a bad bolt. Plus it is jagged for lack of a better term vs a clean break. Did you do the install? I would send it to the manufacturer.
    So they're stock, we ordered the 8k axle and disc break upgrade when we ordered the rig. Hoping it's just a bad bolt
    2021 Momentum 349M

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More than likely an over torque fractured it at that hole. Then you drove away and it finally gave way. Was the other end still in place, the knurled head?
    Randy and Kris

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More than likely an over torque fractured it at that hole. Then you drove away and it finally gave way. Was the other end still in place, the knurled head?
    Yes, the other half is still holding up the leaf spring, once the mobile tech comes to repair it I'll have a look at it
    2021 Momentum 349M

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well the knurled end of that bolt did the job. They could have used a box end wrench and an impact wrench. The box wrench kept the knurled end from moving and then they over torqued that nut. If it is factory and GD is footing the bill I would not be afraid to tell them to have them all inspected. I know you said maybe one bad bolt, but that torque number is there for a reason. Interesting to hear the mobile tech. You could take that bolt end to a reputable trailer shop and ask their opinion.

Good luck to you.
    Randy and Kris

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well the knurled end of that bolt did the job. They could have used a box end wrench and an impact wrench. The box wrench kept the knurled end from moving and then they over torqued that nut. If it is factory and GD is footing the bill I would not be afraid to tell them to have them all inspected. I know you said maybe one bad bolt, but that torque number is there for a reason. Interesting to hear the mobile tech. You could take that bolt end to a reputable trailer shop and ask their opinion.

Good luck to you.
    Thank you! I'll update when he's done
    2021 Momentum 349M

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wanted to follow up, the mobile tech came out, removed the other half of the bolt from the leaf spring and replaced it with a normal bolt as he didn't have the correct wet bolt. He said he's never seen this happen either so I guess lucky me to have such a rare occurrence! Grand Design is shipping me a complete set of bolts so I'll replace the one and have some spares. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	90124EE1-A675-4474-BE32-07A5B8C751D7.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	930.4 KB 
ID:	42643Click image for larger version. 

Name:	533C1473-0C9C-48C9-99EF-72A53245153C.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	42644

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2D558E38-D5BA-4DF5-A3BE-78D3CD9563AC.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	867.0 KB 
ID:	42642Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2D558E38-D5BA-4DF5-A3BE-78D3CD9563AC.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	867.0 KB 
ID:	42642
    2021 Momentum 349M

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the follow up. Anomaly! I love when I get the chance to use that word.

Good luck and way to go GD.
    Randy and Kris

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast