User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    OK... after reading and considering all of the input I built a decision grid (can't leave some work habits behind). We considered cost, weight, work (switching over when needed), how well each option would be integrated into our existing system (automation - part of the preceding "work" concept), where the option would mount/store, run time (and how often generators would need to be refueled for those options), whether or not the option would run an AC (a concern of Laura's, but not high up my list for emergency situations), all of the pros and cons we could think of, and the number of votes in the thread (and why) for each option.

After aggregating all of the information from the answers in the thread, we considered these options:

1. Honda EU2200i (sticking with Honda because of reliability and parts/service availability)

2. Two Honda EU2200is (regular and Companion)

3. Honda EU3000IS (bolted down in the back of the truck)

4. Additional Batteries (probably two)

At this time, we have decided to add battery capacity. The reasoning being 1) it will serve the purpose in the vast majority of the situations for which we would want the additional capacity and, 2) we would still have the option of numbers 2 or 3 above should we find that we just can't get by without an AC on a regular basis. We would also have the option of adding another solar panel in the future if/when we see the need for it.

I want to thank everyone for their input. We truly did consider everything that was said with open minds and the discussion was most helpful.

Rob
    Just a heads up on adding a solar panel: I believe you have what I had, a Jaboni system 300 watt panel 25 or 30(I forget)amp mppt controller.
    That system cannot be expanded IMO. I tried to make it work, but I ended up replacing the controller with another Victron..I spent some extra $$$$ trying to make work, than if I had just tossed it in the beginning.
    Interseting to me, is that I ended up with some mismatched panels because of trying to buy ones compatible with the Jaboni.When doing this the conventional wisdom is that you sacrifice some watts. This doesn't phase the victron controllers at all. I have actually seen higher than rated panel output... So IMO, the Jaboni is an under achiever as it does not perform the way it should according to it's specs, The Victron is an over achiever as it performs better than it should be able to...In case you haven't noticed I have become a Victron fan. They are expensive. but they just flat out work.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    Just a heads up on adding a solar panel: I believe you have what I had, a Jaboni system 300 watt panel 25 or 30(I forget)amp mppt controller.
    That system cannot be expanded IMO. I tried to make it work, but I ended up replacing the controller with another Victron..I spent some extra $$$$ trying to make work, than if I had just tossed it in the beginning.
    Interseting to me, is that I ended up with some mismatched panels because of trying to buy ones compatible with the Jaboni.When doing this the conventional wisdom is that you sacrifice some watts. This doesn't phase the victron controllers at all. I have actually seen higher than rated panel output... So IMO, the Jaboni is an under achiever as it does not perform the way it should according to it's specs, The Victron is an over achiever as it performs better than it should be able to...In case you haven't noticed I have become a Victron fan. They are expensive. but they just flat out work.
    I think a generator/generators to run an AC would probably be our next step, if anything, but good to know. Was the wiring from the roof to the front compartment suitable or did you have to upgrade that, too?

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think a generator/generators to run an AC would probably be our next step, if anything, but good to know. Was the wiring from the roof to the front compartment suitable or did you have to upgrade that, too?

Rob
    It was standard 10 GA.which can support a lot of panels if configured right. So I left it alone.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rob
    It depends on what panels you have, how you wire the panels, and how long the wire is

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by acoleman43 View Post
    It depends on what panels you have, how you wire the panels, and how long the wire is
    All true.
    In this case his factory panel puts out less than 10 amps and the consideration is adding one panel. His run should be be less than 30' so that 10ga wire should support 30 amps.
    So he can add one panel no matter how it is wired.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    All true.
    In this case his factory panel puts out less than 10 amps and the consideration is adding one panel. His run should be be less than 30' so that 10ga wire should support 30 amps.
    So he can add one panel no matter how it is wired.
    I agree. wiring an identical panel in parallel you can go about 35' with 10 awg and only 2% voltage drop. Wire in series and you can go 155' with 10 awg and 2% voltage drop. He's in good shape.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi Rob
    New to this and don't have solar. Bought H 4500 dual fuel Westinghouse at Menards that works great. we bought it on sale and also got the 11% rebate that brought the price down. we keep it in in the bed of the truck up by the cab under the tonneau with 2 20# propane tanks, pull the tonneau back to run. Having a travel trailer puts it farther away from the trailer for exhaust issues. propane also has fewer emission problems. We run it with the trailer connected to the truck when boondocking for the night. turn it off at bedtime and cover the truck bed. Not supposed to run in the rain without a cover, haven't had that situation arise yet. It has been a lifesaver on the trips.
    Denny & Lorna
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2610ML
    2011 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins Long Bed DRW

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob, if you do go for the generator, I give an extremely strong +++ for the Honda 3000eu. I owned one and used one commercially. On the commercial side we beat the daylights out this generator. Mounted on a 30ft long barge about 10ft above the water line in a saltwater environment and partially covered. The unit ran about 70 days per year. 10-16 hours per day. In 12+ years the oil was changed twice, the battery once, and the pull rope once. We pull started the generator for a year when the battery died. This thing never failed us. Started easily via electric start or pull rope. The only thing we did to keep this thing running was to shut off the fuel supply and run the carb out of fuel until it shutdown. A month later, turn the fuel on and it started right up. Never used any type of fuel stabilizer. I don't ever remember even checking the oil level. I don’t recommend this type abuse but just saying how tough this generator is.
    Ken & Tammy
    Union Valley, TX
    2021 GD Reflection 303RLS 5th Wheel
    2019 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4x4

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Rob, one of your options was a Honda EU3000. If you go with that option, get the EU3200i instead. Higher wattage, smaller form factor and only weighs 60lbs, and can be paralleled just like the smaller Honda’s.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We went with the Yamaha,electric start. Large enough to run AC, large fuel capacity, very quiet, fit under tonneau cover behind truck cab. Exhausts out the side and has been problem free. Use fuel #1 no problems.
    FYI Enjoy!!
    Son had the Honda from new and lots of problems.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast