User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redapple63 View Post
    Hi Rob, one of your options was a Honda EU3000. If you go with that option, get the EU3200i instead. Higher wattage, smaller form factor and only weighs 60lbs, and can be paralleled just like the smaller Honda’s.

Bill
    Thanks, Bill - I didn't even see that when I was looking. How about the Yamaha mentioned by @DennisLoriGD ? I placed the order for the batteries and a Victron monitor a little while ago... going to have to recover from that before we do anything else.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help me think this through (solar/batteries/generator, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Thanks, Bill - I didn't even see that when I was looking. How about the Yamaha mentioned by @DennisLoriGD ? I placed the order for the batteries and a Victron monitor a little while ago... going to have to recover from that before we do anything else.

Rob
    Hi Rob

I actually have the Yamaha generator, it is an awesome genny, but, just too dang heavy. It checks in at 154 pounds. If it will be in the back of your truck permanently, then it really doesn’t matter, but I am actually lookin at replacing my Yamaha for the Honda for the weight.

Bill
    Last edited by Redapple63; 08-08-2022 at 03:21 PM.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Baseline: we ordered our 2020 Solitude with a residential fridge and solar, so it has the stock 300W solar panel, 30 amp Jaboni MPPT controller, ATS, sub-panel, and 2,000W inverter. We put two BB 100Ah LiFePO4 batteries in it on arrival. Our intent was to keep the refrigerator running on travel days and the setup has performed that task very well. We don't boondock.

We've experienced several power outages in the 2-1/2 years since taking delivery of the Solitude. The longest was when a fencing contractor on Aberdeen Proving Ground knocked a transformer off its concrete base and blew a few things up the line. That outage was about four hours - but the sun was out (solar was cranking out the watts) and it was a weekday so the power company got on it immediately (was a bit warm, but we put our recliners under a nice shade tree and read our Kindles). The most recent was last night after a lightening strike on the perimeter of the park. Power was out about 2-1/2 hours before coming back on. At about the two-hour point (10:00PM), the Battle Borns were at 13.2 volts (about 70%?). We were conserving power as much as possible, but it was late in the evening and it was dark (no solar).

Laura has brought up the topic of a generator every time these situations have occurred - and this morning was no different. I want to lay out several scenarios and solicit input. There are a lot of you out there with a better handle on this than I have and I would like to pose some questions (and certainly wouldn't mind if @SolarPoweredRV were to chime in).

1) Had the power not come back on, I'm not sure the BBs would have kept the fridge running until the sun came up and started hitting the solar panel this morning. Based on the 13.2 volts after approx. two hours, am I right about this or worrying about nothing?

2) Could I add two more BB 100Ah batteries - perhaps replacing the cables with busses - without changing the rest of the setup? I know it would take the converter/charger and the 300 watts of solar longer to recharge them, but would four of the BBs get us all the way through a night with power conservation... even in the winter with the furnace cycling? (And - would there be an issue with adding two of the new series BBs to the two existing BBs?)

3) We're not going to consider an on-board generator installation. It's just not worth it for us. In looking at portable generators, there are several constraints. I'm getting too old to lift a large/heavy generator in and out of the truck bed. The Honda EU2200i is a really nice unit, but would have just enough output to keep the batteries charged, run the fridge, and charge some of our other devices. Even with Easy Starts on the ACs, two of the Hondas ganged would be pushing it for a 15K AC plus the other loads, wouldn't it?

If one of the Hondas would get us over the hump similar to two additional BB batteries, that option would be about $700 cheaper - but I would have to get out the generator and adapters, connect everything, and start the generator... then refuel during the night if there were more than 1/4 load on the generator. If adding two more BBs were to be viable/compatible, I wouldn't have to do all that (worth $700 to me).

If there are other options, I would love to hear about them!

Thanks!

Rob
    Rob,

Here is what I’m currently have in my unit.

(2) 206ah SOK batteries
    (6) 170 watt Zamp solar panels
    (2) Victron 30 amp MPPT solar controllers
    (1) Victron multiplus II
    (1) Victron 800 watt inverter (used before Multiplus installed)
    (2) Honda eu2000 generators

I do have a residential fridge installed, after market and live full time in my unit.

Not to long ago I had a power outage at which time it automatically switched to battery power. Since I was home and wanted to test things out I ran one 15k air conditioner along with the fridge, tv, internet stuff and dish box. According to my battery monitor if the sun stayed out (this was around noon time) I could run a bit over 4 1/2 hours on the batteries with the solar dumping power back into them.

The power was out for over an hour and half and I was about to dig out one of the Hondas just in case it was out longer. The power did come back on before getting the generator out and the Multiplus and solar started dumping power back into the batteries. I had the Multiplus charger set at 70 amps and the solar was pushing 50 plus amps. My batteries are only good for 50 amps each when charging. I did have to turn one of my solar chargers off so I didn’t push to many amps in to fast.

So my suggestion would be add a inverter type generator to your toolbox, keep good gas with fuel stabilizer in the tank year round.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3378D171-9DEB-473E-9546-786981A55D27.jpg  
    2021 F350 CC LB
    DW, diesel, 4x4
    2020 Momentum 320G

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mostad View Post

So my suggestion would be add a inverter type generator to your toolbox, keep good gas with fuel stabilizer in the tank year round.
    Not sure if non-oxygenated gas is available everywhere but I buy that in MN for everything except the vehicles. That way it doesn't gum the carbs, doesn't go bad and doesn't require additives. Might be something to look for. Usually it's available in areas that are known for recreation such as boating, atv's, etc.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think a generator/generators to run an AC would probably be our next step, if anything, but good to know. Was the wiring from the roof to the front compartment suitable or did you have to upgrade that, too?

Rob
    One more suggestion: Get a battery monitor. Checking by voltage is next to useless in an RV. The ONLY way it can be somewhat accurate is If ALL loads are disconnected.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Baseline: we ordered our 2020 Solitude with a residential fridge and solar, so it has the stock 300W solar panel, 30 amp Jaboni MPPT controller, ATS, sub-panel, and 2,000W inverter. We put two BB 100Ah LiFePO4 batteries in it on arrival. Our intent was to keep the refrigerator running on travel days and the setup has performed that task very well. We don't boondock.

We've experienced several power outages in the 2-1/2 years since taking delivery of the Solitude. The longest was when a fencing contractor on Aberdeen Proving Ground knocked a transformer off its concrete base and blew a few things up the line. That outage was about four hours - but the sun was out (solar was cranking out the watts) and it was a weekday so the power company got on it immediately (was a bit warm, but we put our recliners under a nice shade tree and read our Kindles). The most recent was last night after a lightening strike on the perimeter of the park. Power was out about 2-1/2 hours before coming back on. At about the two-hour point (10:00PM), the Battle Borns were at 13.2 volts (about 70%?). We were conserving power as much as possible, but it was late in the evening and it was dark (no solar).

Laura has brought up the topic of a generator every time these situations have occurred - and this morning was no different. I want to lay out several scenarios and solicit input. There are a lot of you out there with a better handle on this than I have and I would like to pose some questions (and certainly wouldn't mind if @SolarPoweredRV were to chime in).

1) Had the power not come back on, I'm not sure the BBs would have kept the fridge running until the sun came up and started hitting the solar panel this morning. Based on the 13.2 volts after approx. two hours, am I right about this or worrying about nothing?

2) Could I add two more BB 100Ah batteries - perhaps replacing the cables with busses - without changing the rest of the setup? I know it would take the converter/charger and the 300 watts of solar longer to recharge them, but would four of the BBs get us all the way through a night with power conservation... even in the winter with the furnace cycling? (And - would there be an issue with adding two of the new series BBs to the two existing BBs?)

3) We're not going to consider an on-board generator installation. It's just not worth it for us. In looking at portable generators, there are several constraints. I'm getting too old to lift a large/heavy generator in and out of the truck bed. The Honda EU2200i is a really nice unit, but would have just enough output to keep the batteries charged, run the fridge, and charge some of our other devices. Even with Easy Starts on the ACs, two of the Hondas ganged would be pushing it for a 15K AC plus the other loads, wouldn't it?

If one of the Hondas would get us over the hump similar to two additional BB batteries, that option would be about $700 cheaper - but I would have to get out the generator and adapters, connect everything, and start the generator... then refuel during the night if there were more than 1/4 load on the generator. If adding two more BBs were to be viable/compatible, I wouldn't have to do all that (worth $700 to me).

If there are other options, I would love to hear about them!

Thanks!

Rob
    Rob, My solitude didn't come with solar and only a 1000W inverter just to run the fridge. I do have a Champion 4500W generator which I carry on a platform attached to the hitch on back, which will run 1AC. If I go on a long trip I usually boonedock 1 night and the next night at a campground. The last big trip I did like that I had a 3400W Champion and it wouldn't run the AC while charging my 3 BB 100Ah batteries. We will see how the 4500W Champion works out. I usually just run the AC to cool the bedroom before bed and then shut it off. Why do I have 3 BB, because I originally bought 2, but on this last black Friday, I picked up another for $725 I just couldn't resist. Oh by the way the Champion 4500 was around $800 something on Amazon and I sold the 3400W for $450.
    Last edited by Malco1; 08-10-2022 at 07:22 PM.
    Mal & Helen
    With Mitzi our Yorkie
    2021 Solitude 310GK-R
    2020 Reflection 303RLS Sold
    2020 Ford F250 Lariat Super Duty 4WD 6.7 Diesel Short Bed
    B&W Companion Slider
    Amateur Radio Call sign WA2TWA

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    One more suggestion: Get a battery monitor. Checking by voltage is next to useless in an RV. The ONLY way it can be somewhat accurate is If ALL loads are disconnected.
    Yep - ordered a Victron with the new batteries. Thanks.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep - ordered a Victron with the new batteries. Thanks.

Rob
    If you got the smart version, it calculates how much time your batteries will last at the present draw rate. Anytime you turn something on or off, you can see the time remaining change, and how many amps the draw is. A really cool feature.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So if it helps I have a residential refrigerator and a chest freezer. I used cheaper batteries but put in 600AH. Earlier this year I traveled and lot docked in parking lots 3 nights—never plugging in. Made coffee every morning too using an electric water pot and French press. No AC though. At the end I had a little less than 200AH left—edit: checked my shunt history and it was actually 117 AH left. If it were me, I’d add another battery or 2.

Oh, here’s a link to my setup:

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...300#post389300
    Last edited by chemist308; 08-11-2022 at 01:03 AM.
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
    2020 Ram 3500 SRW
    https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7803/4...56f2161a_m.jpg

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    If you got the smart version, it calculates how much time your batteries will last at the present draw rate. Anytime you turn something on or off, you can see the time remaining change, and how many amps the draw is. A really cool feature.
    Yes - I ordered the BMV-712 Smart with Blu-tooth. The batteries and monitor will arrive on Monday and the weather forecast looks less brutal next week than it has been this past week (heat index between 106 and 113 the past five days), so I should be able to get everything installed next week.

To everyone else... just because I'm not commenting on every post doesn't mean I'm not reading them and taking information/suggestions into consideration. Since we have no plans at this time to leave the proving ground for more than a week or two at a time, we have at least this winter to test and evaluate how the additional battery capacity performs in actual or simulated power outages - especially this winter when we'll be using the furnace. Our needs specifications have not changed and still only include running the fridge, minimal lighting, and a few critical devices (phones, etc.) until the power comes back on. I have set up a YoLink system with power a failure module and smart power strips to turn off all non-critical outlets (Dyson charger, Echo devices, laptops, dehumidifier if it's running) when a power failure is detected.

Again - many thanks to everyone who has taken the time to respond.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast