User Tag List

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Battery bank balanced wirig

I have watched a lot of RV you tubers videos on their Battery bank installs.
    Just about all of them do not make any attempt ar balanced wiring for their lithium battery installs. It sure makes for a neat looking install.
    Is that why they do it, not caring about the balancing? Thinking they won't own that RV long enough for it to matter? Or do they just not know? It sure would be cheaper and eaisier to just daisy chain them together.
    And it makes for a good looking system for a video.

When I did mine, I made sure they are balanced. It was a large investment, and where I mounted mine cannot really be seen anyways, so looks were not a concern.It did cost more, but over the long haul, it's peanuts.

Thoughts?
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    I have watched a lot of RV you tubers videos on their Battery bank installs.
    Just about all of them do not make any attempt ar balanced wiring for their lithium battery installs. It sure makes for a neat looking install.
    Is that why they do it, not caring about the balancing? Thinking they won't own that RV long enough for it to matter? Or do they just not know? It sure would be cheaper and eaisier to just daisy chain them together.
    And it makes for a good looking system for a video.

When I did mine, I made sure they are balanced. It was a large investment, and where I mounted mine cannot really be seen anyways, so looks were not a concern.It did cost more, but over the long haul, it's peanuts.

Thoughts?
    I'm with you, I wanted my system balanced. I went with a bus bar installation. And I probably way overdid it on the cables using 4/0 from the batteries to the bus bar, and the same from the bus bar to the fuse, and to the shunt. I bought sets of the same length cables to make sure the resistance would be the same. It's worked well so far.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are going to do it, why not do it right? I have my two sets to a bus bar.

But, does it really matter for the average RV'er. Most are not running maximum loads where balancing would matter the most. So, if the average person is just running lights and small loads, I personally don't think it matters much. When the loads are reduced, I believe the batteries will even out.

Before anyone has a cow, I'm not suggesting it is the preferred method. I'm just stating that balancing really matters when you are pushing amps and most people are looking for capacity, not running A/C's all day long.