User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New 2022 Imagine MLE issues

We just purchased a new 2022 Imagine after carefully reviewing other brands and selecting Grand Design based on quality. We went on a weekend trip to test it out and found there was a hole in the awning, the refrigerator doors aren't adjusted correctly and don't stay closed when traveling and the bottom guide on the barn door to the bathroom came off. We took it into the dealer for fixing where the supposedly fixed the two issues and ordered the awning. We then left for a 45 day trip through the US and the series of issues is very disappointing. In the first day, the issues began again: the bathroom door glide broke again, the handle on the black water tank fell off somewhere as we drove down the road, the awning chock broke and won't hold the awning out and then causes trouble when closing the awning, the trim around the door on the fridge is coming away from the face so the face is popping out, the electric on the water heater won't work, the curtain strip for the bedroom has gaps away from the ceiling and needs anchoring, the lock on the storage is loose, the lock on the door to the trailer broke and locked us out - we had to get someone to try to pick it because the tumbler was broken so a key wouldn't work - ultimately we had to have it drilled out to get us back into the trailer, the slide out has a gap on the floor by the bed and is not working properly when you slide it out and in - it stops after about 6 inches of moving and won't go more so then you have to reverse it back and then try again - then it will work so far, the wires on the hitch are exposed and not up in the housing as they should be, the USB outlet on the side of the bed came away from the wall the first time I tried to remove the cord, and the drain cover in the shower keeps bending for no reason and is poor quality. Some of these are minor issues, but in conjunction with the bigger issues like the slide out, the awning shocks and hole, the tumbler on the lock breaking, it leaves us with an overall feeling that this was not the quality we paid for. Additionally, while it isn't a flaw, we were disappointed in the oven. It did not occur to us to open the over to check out the size as we know they are small and we've had other trailers. However, this oven is so small that about all i can do in it is make toast. As I look at comments from others, it makes me wonder if we just got a lemon trailer. I know many people report being very happy, but right now, we are very disappointed. We will arrive back home in Phoenix late today and already have our appointment with the dealer, but I'm so disappointed. I'm hoping someone from Grand Design will reach out to make this right. Perhaps it is the dealer's fault for not doing a quality prep of our vehicle; they certainly didn't fix the initial issues we reported after the test trip well. But we've had other supposedly lesser quality trailers before and we've never had this many issues with a brand new $45,000 trailer. I've heard that Grand Design is a good company who will take care of their customers. I hope someone will reach out to help us. Thank you.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hsherburn View Post
    We just purchased a new 2022 Imagine after carefully reviewing other brands and selecting Grand Design based on quality. We went on a weekend trip to test it out and found there was a hole in the awning, the refrigerator doors aren't adjusted correctly and don't stay closed when traveling and the bottom guide on the barn door to the bathroom came off. We took it into the dealer for fixing where the supposedly fixed the two issues and ordered the awning. We then left for a 45 day trip through the US and the series of issues is very disappointing. In the first day, the issues began again: the bathroom door glide broke again, the handle on the black water tank fell off somewhere as we drove down the road, the awning chock broke and won't hold the awning out and then causes trouble when closing the awning, the trim around the door on the fridge is coming away from the face so the face is popping out, the electric on the water heater won't work, the curtain strip for the bedroom has gaps away from the ceiling and needs anchoring, the lock on the storage is loose, the lock on the door to the trailer broke and locked us out - we had to get someone to try to pick it because the tumbler was broken so a key wouldn't work - ultimately we had to have it drilled out to get us back into the trailer, the slide out has a gap on the floor by the bed and is not working properly when you slide it out and in - it stops after about 6 inches of moving and won't go more so then you have to reverse it back and then try again - then it will work so far, the wires on the hitch are exposed and not up in the housing as they should be, the USB outlet on the side of the bed came away from the wall the first time I tried to remove the cord, and the drain cover in the shower keeps bending for no reason and is poor quality. Some of these are minor issues, but in conjunction with the bigger issues like the slide out, the awning shocks and hole, the tumbler on the lock breaking, it leaves us with an overall feeling that this was not the quality we paid for. Additionally, while it isn't a flaw, we were disappointed in the oven. It did not occur to us to open the over to check out the size as we know they are small and we've had other trailers. However, this oven is so small that about all i can do in it is make toast. As I look at comments from others, it makes me wonder if we just got a lemon trailer. I know many people report being very happy, but right now, we are very disappointed. We will arrive back home in Phoenix late today and already have our appointment with the dealer, but I'm so disappointed. I'm hoping someone from Grand Design will reach out to make this right. Perhaps it is the dealer's fault for not doing a quality prep of our vehicle; they certainly didn't fix the initial issues we reported after the test trip well. But we've had other supposedly lesser quality trailers before and we've never had this many issues with a brand new $45,000 trailer. I've heard that Grand Design is a good company who will take care of their customers. I hope someone will reach out to help us. Thank you.
    First off @Hsherburn, welcome to the forum. So sorry to hear that you've had such an unsatisfactory experience with your new coach. You mention a couple of times your hope that someone from GD will reach out to you. You should know that this forum is run by and for GD owners, it is not monitored (to my knowledge) by anyone at the company. What you will find here are many experience GD owners who can help guide you through the process of getting your coach in good operating shape. It sounds like you're resourceful a good attribute for any RV owner. Some RVs are problem-free from the start, and others have a lot of issues (like yours). Hopefully with a little patience and luck, you'll be back camping soon making happy memories.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the help. Does anyone out there have a good way to reach the company?

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hsherburn View Post
    Thanks for the help. Does anyone out there have a good way to reach the company?
    Google is your friend:

https://www.granddesignrv.com/shopping-tools/contact-us

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So sorry that you are off to a rough start. Some of those issues should have been caught at the PDI and at the assembly line. The good thing with GD is their after sale support. I have no doubt that they will correct the issues and make your rig right. Once they do, I hope that you'll enjoy it as much as we enjoy ours. Ah and the cookie oven lol. You have to get a little creative to cook in it but one thing is for sure, no turkey. We rarely use it. It's pretty much the same oven found in all other trailers this size.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New 2022 Imagine MLE issues

That is awful on a new trailer. Knowing everything I’ve read on line, when I did the PDI on my trailer it took me over 2hrs. Salesman and service guy just got tired of watching me and left me alone. I had to fix a leak in plumbing that they couldn’t fix. It was worth it. I don’t care what people think anymore. If they get upset o well. Check everything before you sign the documents!!!!
    Last edited by thegreenblade; 08-08-2022 at 06:25 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear about the issues. As far as the oven, it what fits in the space. Bigger trailer….bigger oven. Ours functions fine for what we need it for. I probably make 90% of our meals here and at home on our Weber Grill , so it will go unused just like our home oven. No roasted turkey for sure but a smoked or deep fried one is in our future.

Hopefully your other issues get fixed without incident.

Good luck

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As previously mentioned, my 2021 mle was in such bad shape, Grand Design sent a trucking company to my home to pick up. The RV dealership I bought it from would NOT attempt repairs. I, like most I suspect got a LEMON. My greatest fear now, among others is delamination.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, as another 2022 MLE owner I have to say I am quite disappointed as well. I am also having the same issue with the refrigerator door not staying closed. I have don't see any way to adjust the striker, so I guess I will come up with a way to attach a strap.

Disappointed with the caulking around the shower. Have removed all old caulk and have redone that job, still small bit of water coming from door squeegie I guess.

Two recalls already (one for the useless "quick-connect," the other for the awning "weld").

Have been on roof and found bubbles in the sealer around the skylight and the air vents.

I have to say that I believe the 2019 17MKE that we traded was a better unit, at least it seems the folks who put it together were paying attention to what they were doing. For my part I think what we have going on is some hurry-up, short-staffed, covid-crazy construction with these late-model units.

I also had hoped for better for what will surely be my last trailer.

Thanks for listening. If you have any ideas about the refrigerator doors please share.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2019 Ford F-150

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is what I bought (3 of them actually) to keep the freezer and fridge doors shut, as well as a cabinet door that wont stay closed either). They work extremely well.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088D7DVD6...roduct_details

I have needed to touch up the sealant on the front and rear caps and well as a couple of places along where the top trim meets the roof. Nothing I didn't expect as every roof seems to need some additional sealant. That issue I blame the dealer as the sealant used at the factory will self level over time and sometimes exposes gaps and bubbles as it cures. As part of the presale dealer inspection, they should inspect the roof and add any additional sealant as necessary.

I have had a few trim black screws back out as well. Luckily I caught them before they fell out. I removed the screws, added some sealant to the hole and the screw threads and reinserted.

I have had to adjust the brakes 2 times since purchase to get them to grab. Another dealer fail.

I also had to reglue the counter top material with epoxy where it meets the stainless steel sink as there was no sealant keeping sink water from infiltrating between the countertop and the sink rim. This caused the glue to fail and the countertop surface came loose from the counter substrate. I epoxied and clamped the material back to the substrate and then after that cured, ran a bead of clear sealant around the entire sink rim. I have read that others have also has this countertop delamination issue as well. I would suggest all to check that area as well.

Our last trip the gray tank pull handle fell off. The black tank handle was also loose. When the the new handle I ordered comes in, I'll locktite the screws on both handles which should resolve any future issues.

One last thing I have had to do was replace the Air Admittance Valve under the kitchen sink and it was allowing gray tank fumes into the RV.

We bought our 22MLE in June. Having been an RV owner for over 30 years now, none of these items I've fixed have shocked me. It's business as usual in the RV industry, unfortunately.
    Last edited by minnow101; 09-30-2022 at 10:10 AM.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Sold: 2015 27RL
    2016 Ram 3500 Crewcab Cummins SRW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast