User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Axels

beatcop49

Axels

Does anyone know if the 308BHTS has the easy oil fill axels, and if so, how to maintain them?

beatcop49
    Quote Originally Posted by beatcop49 View Post
    Does anyone know if the 308BHTS has the easy oil fill axels, and if so, how to maintain them?
    No help...odd.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not sure I know what easy oil fill axles are but my 308BHTS has "regular" axles with a grease fitting behind the rubber cap.

beatcop49
    I'm not sure I know either. Lol

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    None of the axles on Grand Design units are "oil filled". However, they do have Zerk fittings which you can inject grease into the bearing cavity. However, I'd highly recommend not adding any additional grease to the bearings. There is a frequent problem with leaking grease seals and/or grease viscosity that Lippert uses on their builds and additional grease will only exacerbate the issue.

If you need to lubricate your bearings, it's best to manually remove them and have them hand packed with good quality grease. Follow up by inserting new grease seals and you should be good to go.

Jim

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You see oil filled axles on Class A Tractor/Trailers. In my humble opinion, which isn't worth much, they are a lot easier to maintain. Most have a clear cap, so you just visually look if gear oil is needed. If it is, pop the rubber cap and pour it in. Done.
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    None of the axles on Grand Design units are "oil filled". However, they do have Zerk fittings which you can inject grease into the bearing cavity. However, I'd highly recommend not adding any additional grease to the bearings. There is a frequent problem with leaking grease seals and/or grease viscosity that Lippert uses on their builds and additional grease will only exacerbate the issue.

If you need to lubricate your bearings, it's best to manually remove them and have them hand packed with good quality grease. Follow up by inserting new grease seals and you should be good to go.
    Let me rephrase that and say insert new, high quality U.S. built double lip grease seals--not those Chinese seals as used by Lippert.

beatcop49
    Ok. Since my first posting, I have schooled myself on the Lippert axles, bearings, seals, etc.

I don't have the tools to do it myself, so I had a mobile repair man come to my site and pull my hubs for inspection . You can now count me in with the group that has had all 4 seals to fail. One seal wasn't even properly seated. My unit has less than 4500 miles on it. Luckily, no grease, contaminated my brake shoes. I now have new, bearings, grease seals, etc.

Working with Grand Design now to see if Lippert will pick up at least some of the bill.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

bob1340
    Unfortunately what I am seeing is many folks with brand new high dollar trailers are running into this same issue. If I get a new one in the next couple years my plan is to get rid of the cheaper bearings and seals they use and go with Timken and double lip seals. I just did this to my 2008 Keystone and although the chinese bearings in it looked fairly good I tossed them. I also found that when I cross referenced the seal #'S I found some were single lip and some were double! Always use double especially with drum brakes. If I have the $$$$ when I buy a new trailer (337 5'er) I'll upgrade the axles and wheels (16") and go with disc brakes, shocks, rubber equalizers ETC. That is how they should come from the factory. It's 2016! Whats with the drum brakes already?