User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Inverter Install - Solitude 3540GK

Purchased at 3540GK, pulled the Norcold out and put in a Samsung residential fridge. I'd like to install an inverter to run the fridge while driving.

Question:

1. Is the RV wired for the factory inverter?

2. Can I just purchase the inverter that would have come with the residential model and install it?

I plan to put in a Victron system, but am wondering if I can do a quick mod before diving into a big project this fall.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

David

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    David,
    #1 : I cant speak for your how your trailer is configured.
    #2 : I doubt it will be that simple. Much goes in to planning an inverter system, just for starters:
    - AC power requirements
    - DC power requirements
    - number of batteries
    - hours needed while running the inverter
    - Battery Ah
    - Inverter size
    - cabling

Throwing some batteries together with an inverter may run your refrigerator for a short time. It also may burn down your trailer. Best to plan it out and insure it will meet your needs and be a safe system.
    Ken & Tammy
    Union Valley, TX
    2021 GD Reflection 303RLS 5th Wheel
    2019 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4x4

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's pretty simple to put in a 1000 watt inverter just for the fridge.

Assuming you already have a 120v circuit for the residential refrigerator you installed just plug the inverter into that, connect the inverter to your battery(s) and run and output 120v circuit from the inverter to plug your refrigerator into.

When you get around to the whole Victron system, etc. you can figure out sizing, sub panels, solar, whatever for your ultimate set up.

I also sent you a PM.

oh - btw..... Welcome to the forum. You'll get lots of good info and advice here from folks who have lived through what you are starting to do.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dagerlach View Post
    I plan to put in a Victron system, but am wondering if I can do a quick mod before diving into a big project this fall.
    If you're talking about a complete solar and battery system using Victron and/or other components, then any "quick mod" will likely end up being money wasted. As Ken said, there are a number of factors to consider. IMO you would be better off waiting until you're ready to do the full project. There are several threads on this forum that cover how people have installed systems like the one you're contemplating.

BTW, although you've been around the forum for a while, it looks like this is your first post. Welcome aboard. Keep us informed (pictures are good) about where you ended up going.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually go overkill. I would rather get a larger inverter than I need. Nothing wrong with buying something twice as large as you need. I would rather see a product running at half load than something running full load all day long.

Inverters usually need a fair size 12v cable for it to run. I cannot see a Manufacturer adding that kind of cable. It's expensive.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
    I usually go overkill. I would rather get a larger inverter than I need. Nothing wrong with buying something twice as large as you need. I would rather see a product running at half load than something running full load all day long.

Inverters usually need a fair size 12v cable for it to run. I cannot see a Manufacturer adding that kind of cable. It's expensive.
    The downside is that larger inverters waste more 12V when in standby.
    My 2000 watt seems to draw about 5 Amps in standby, so it can add up.
    I did install a second switch inside so I can turn it off without going outside, when it is not needed. But in real use, it is usually on.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isn't that what the inverter off switch is for? I grew up in a household that you did not leave the lights on if you were not in the room. Simple to turn off the inverter when not in use. I guess the biggest issue is the microwave clock.

That is the great thing about opinions. You weigh the pros and cons and then find out what is best for you.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
    Isn't that what the inverter off switch is for? I grew up in a household that you did not leave the lights on if you were not in the room. Simple to turn off the inverter when not in use. I guess the biggest issue is the microwave clock.

That is the great thing about opinions. You weigh the pros and cons and then find out what is best for you.
    Yes that is why I brought up the switch relocation... I just thought that some may not know that the larger the inverter, the more inefficient it is.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All,

Completed the project about a month ago and took the RV on a 3 week trip to Bar Harbor/Acadia. I’m happy to say everything worked perfectly. Now, on to creating a larger system w/ solar. Fun project and the wife is happy with a fridge that actually works.

David

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to hear all worked out well.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods