User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slide out rail/track openings in steel frame

I have recently found that we had an electrical issue with a few items not working. After doing some digging, I found that some mice/rats had been able to gain access to the underbelly of our 5th wheel and had chewed some wiring up. Being the anal person that I am, I have dropped all of the coroplast liner along with the insulation, to check all wiring running under the trailer, and then completely seal off any open holes or access points.

Probably not going to shock anyone when I say that I was completely surprised at how poorly the wiring, insulation, ductwork, and other items were run and just pretty much loose and hanging everywhere. Also surprised at how poorly the underbelly was sealed off, and that numerous openings and gaps that were left and that the insulation used was only slightly better than a piece of cardboard, and probably didn't do much.

Well, I have completely dropped all of the coroplast and insulation and will be replacing and upgrading the insulation. I have checked all wiring, repaired any damaged wires, and have cleaned up most all of the wiring by grouping it together better and tying it off and up with zip ties. I have sealed any exterior openings or possible areas that rodents or weather could get in through.........
    However, I cannot find a way to seal off the 3 openings on each side of the trailer that are used for the main slide out gear/rails.

We have a 2017 GD 376th Momentum, which has 2 front slides for the living room, 2 main slides in the kitchen/dining room, and a single slide for the rear bedroom. The slide outs in question are the main slide units for the kitchen/dining room, which are hydraulic and have a circular opening in the steel frame that the pump motor runs through, along with 2 larger openings for the gear track which goes through the frame as well, on each side.
    I could probably come up with a fix for the circular opening for the pump tube as this does not move, however, I cannot figure out a fix for the 2 larger gear track openings as the slide out gear moves back and forth through this opening, and anything solid that would be affixed over this opening would either block the slide gear, or quickly be torn off once the slide is operated.

I was hoping that maybe someone had some experience or knowledge on a good fix for this issue that would cover the opening to keep any rodents or weather out.
    2017 GD Momentum 376TH
    2017 Ford F350 SRW
    Rear air bags and electric air pump - Bilstein Shocks and Stabilizer
    2008 Harley Davidson Street glide

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mylostclub View Post
    I have recently found that we had an electrical issue with a few items not working. After doing some digging, I found that some mice/rats had been able to gain access to the underbelly of our 5th wheel and had chewed some wiring up. Being the anal person that I am, I have dropped all of the coroplast liner along with the insulation, to check all wiring running under the trailer, and then completely seal off any open holes or access points.

Probably not going to shock anyone when I say that I was completely surprised at how poorly the wiring, insulation, ductwork, and other items were run and just pretty much loose and hanging everywhere. Also surprised at how poorly the underbelly was sealed off, and that numerous openings and gaps that were left and that the insulation used was only slightly better than a piece of cardboard, and probably didn't do much.

Well, I have completely dropped all of the coroplast and insulation and will be replacing and upgrading the insulation. I have checked all wiring, repaired any damaged wires, and have cleaned up most all of the wiring by grouping it together better and tying it off and up with zip ties. I have sealed any exterior openings or possible areas that rodents or weather could get in through.........
    However, I cannot find a way to seal off the 3 openings on each side of the trailer that are used for the main slide out gear/rails.

We have a 2017 GD 376th Momentum, which has 2 front slides for the living room, 2 main slides in the kitchen/dining room, and a single slide for the rear bedroom. The slide outs in question are the main slide units for the kitchen/dining room, which are hydraulic and have a circular opening in the steel frame that the pump motor runs through, along with 2 larger openings for the gear track which goes through the frame as well, on each side.
    I could probably come up with a fix for the circular opening for the pump tube as this does not move, however, I cannot figure out a fix for the 2 larger gear track openings as the slide out gear moves back and forth through this opening, and anything solid that would be affixed over this opening would either block the slide gear, or quickly be torn off once the slide is operated.

I was hoping that maybe someone had some experience or knowledge on a good fix for this issue that would cover the opening to keep any rodents or weather out.
    The slide out opening on our Reflection has rubber seals. The seals can get caught in the gears, so we needed to trim a bit. However, I think you might have some success with this approach.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would adhering a cut piece of rubber hold? Something like the wipe seals comes to mind.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had thought about a rubber type seal that I could custom cut around the opening, but then also think it would still be possible for mice to push their way through as it would have to be flexible to allow for the movement of the slide.
    I don't know, maybe there just isn't a good answer???
    2017 GD Momentum 376TH
    2017 Ford F350 SRW

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mylostclub View Post
    I had thought about a rubber type seal that I could custom cut around the opening, but then also think it would still be possible for mice to push their way through as it would have to be flexible to allow for the movement of the slide.
    I don't know, maybe there just isn't a good answer???
    It wouldn't be a matter of mice "pushing" past a rubber seal - they would chew it to pieces. They will chew through anything less tough than hardware cloth or metal scrub pads. A good place to start with rodent control is eliminating the things they come in for.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob,
    I agree with you that they will chew up almost anything.
    However... eliminating anything they come in for?? Well, they are mice. They are hungry and cold and seek food and shelter just like we do. They look for any opening they can find in search of the food and shelter.
    I don't store any food in the underbelly of the trailer, and the only thing down there that I could remove would be the wiring and insulation, which would make the trailer worthless. I believe that regardless of there being any food, crumbs or other edible items down there, they are still going to go looking and will do so through any hole or opening that is available.
    So, I would think that closing and sealing off all the openings would be the place to start.
    2017 GD Momentum 376TH
    2017 Ford F350 SRW

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those pesky little creatures can find any tiny hole to crawl through to gain access to your RV underside. Like the big hole they cut in the coroplast for the spare tire cable to pass through. I closed it up by using 2 inch wide permanent tape around the hole so that now the hole is about the size of a pencil so the cable can pass through. I've used spray foam and tape to close up holes where dump lines pass through.

For the main slide racks, yup there are big round holes cut in the frame that the geared rack tubes go through when extending and retracting the slides. Perfect place for mice to enter since the holes in the frame are much larger than the rack tubes. I have often thought of using those slit foam water pipe tubes similar to pool noodles. Cut a 3 inch piece and slip it around the rack gear tube and shove it through the frame hole. I haven't done it because I am afraid I would forget to remove them before closing up the slides and jam up the gears. And then again the mice would just chew up the foam and get inside anyway. stainless steel mesh or steel scouring wool pads shoved in the frame holes would work, nice don't like chewing on steel wool. But then again I am afraid I would forget to remove them before closing the slides.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MyLostClub, I have had the same dilemma with my Momentum 351M. Lots of boondocking to hunt and I’ve picked up extra guests. Like Steven I have considered an insert which I would install after running the slides out but would have to remove before storing them. I’d like a permanent answer but haven’t had the epiphany yet. With either solution, it needs to be something hard enough to keep them out but I worry about hydraulic cylinder movement during slide transit. I need to get down there and watch the slides articulate to judge whether that is an issue or not. Would love to hear of a good solution if it’s out there.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually saw a video on you tube and the guy pretty much nailed it. Search you tube

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Larry and JoAnna
    ‘23 Chevy 3500HD CCLB DRW High Country 6.6L Diesel, ‘22 Solitude 310GK-R, Hensley BD5
    MORRyde 8k IS, QD8000 Genny, Dual 5kVA Quattros
    Dual SOK 48V 100ah Server Rack Batts (10kWHr)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast