Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Battery?

Florida and Vermont and anywhere in between
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    I would put a multimeter on the battery itself and see what the real voltage is, not go off the panel (do this while connected to shore power and disconnected, it will help with troubleshooting). It sounds like either a bad battery, or maybe a bad connection to the battery preventing charging (assuming the battery disconnect is in the correct position). Have you tried changing the battery disconnect switch position, regardless of the wording on the switch?
    Yes I promise the battery disconnect switch is in the correct (on) position. But I haven't checked its function in the off position except at that position it generally can be removed or falls out. I am hopeful that it's a simple issue but it seems simple is an oxymoron in the world of RVs. However if we can get home and live with it for a month, we have a rally we're going to....at which I'm guessing it would be evaluated and hopefully fixed. Once we get home from this trip we dont' travel again until October when we go to the rally in DE.

That being said thank you for your help.

Thank you,
    Sue
    Susan (and Alan, Oliver, and Shiloh).
    2020 Solitude 380 FL-R

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan_S View Post
    Hi Chris, Thank you, really thanks so much for all of that information. Yes I'm a bit confused but not so confused that I'm unwilling or unable to try to understand this. So the information you have given is greatly detailed and will help for sure. I'm going to go through the steps you have listed above (tomorrow) and I will also try to clearly understand this ( I certainly should if I am going to use this RV). :-).

Your information is greatly detailed and yet, simple enough... :-) and by that I mean you explained it clearly. I hope that I can make sense of it all after testing the battery. And I will let you know what I find.

You're very kind, thanks a lot.

Thank you,

Sue
    I completely agree with Chris. That was a great reply.

Let us know what you find

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Chris, Thank you, really thanks so much for all of that information. Yes I'm a bit confused but not so confused that I'm unwilling or unable to try to understand this. So the information you have given is greatly detailed and will help for sure. I'm going to go through the steps you have listed above (tomorrow) and I will also try to clearly understand this ( I certainly should if I am going to use this RV). :-).

Your information is greatly detailed and yet, simple enough... :-) and by that I mean you explained it clearly. I hope that I can make sense of it all after testing the battery. And I will let you know what I find.

You're very kind, thanks a lot.

Thank you,

Sue
    Happy to help and try to payback a little of help I have gotten here. It is a great group of people. Let us know what you find and we will try to walk you through the next steps (whatever they maybe).

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sue,
    A lot of times a good samaritan from the park can help. Just get some tools out make it look you are meddling with the batter (or whatever) and someone is more than likely ask if you need help. Maybe then that person could shed some light on what you are challenged with. Usually in the evening when folks are back from their day activities and walking around socializing is a good time to try this.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi All,
    I'd really like to thank everyone who took the time to post an answer to my question. I have learned a good deal.
    It looks like the fuse was blown which innervates one of the prongs on the truck receptacle, which the 7 pin cord from the RV is plugged into. That particular fuse is specific for the RV battery. The other prongs on the receptacle, are linked to other fuses of their own, each providing a different function to the RV such as the lights and etc. You all probably know that. But there was definitely no power to the battery part of the receptacle so that's fixed now with a new fuse in the truck. However we don't leave until tomorrow and will test it then.

I feel like there is still something else amiss. Ultimately I'm wondering if the battery is somehow compromised by the lack of a full charge multiple times. But I will let you know if this does fix our problem in any way. Fingers crossed.

Thanks again,

Sue
    2020 Solitude 380 FL-R

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats great you got your truck wiring resolved. I think you still need to check your battery as previously discussed. The truck really doesnt fully charge a battery since it isnt connected long enough to provide enough charge.

If you were plugged in shore power, and the battery still isnt fully charged after removing shore power, there is a chance your battery has issues.

A load test of the battery an auto parts store will determine that, or even a multimeter on the battery when shore power is turned off can help identify potential issues.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    Thats great you got your truck wiring resolved. I think you still need to check your battery as previously discussed. The truck really doesnt fully charge a battery since it isnt connected long enough to provide enough charge.

If you were plugged in shore power, and the battery still isnt fully charged after removing shore power, there is a chance your battery has issues.

A load test of the battery an auto parts store will determine that, or even a multimeter on the battery when shore power is turned off can help identify potential issues.
    I couldn't agree more. I have to admit to being intimidated about removing the battery, but the multimeter with shore power turned off showed the battery to have a charge of about 12.4. It seemed to hold it then (that was yesterday) and I was very surprised. But I do think that there is an issue with it, and it will still probably need to be addressed. I have a feeling the truck issue just made matters worse.

Thanks again,
    Sue
    2020 Solitude 380 FL-R

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I couldn't agree more. I have to admit to being intimidated about removing the battery, but the multimeter with shore power turned off showed the battery to have a charge of about 12.4. It seemed to hold it then (that was yesterday) and I was very surprised. But I do think that there is an issue with it, and it will still probably need to be addressed. I have a feeling the truck issue just made matters worse.

Thanks again,
    Sue
    was the 12.4 with the battery cables connected? If so, then it may be fine. Any loads on the battery will lower the meter reading
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Batteries are not "bypassed" when on shore power. All of the 12VDC equipment (hydraulic system for slides and leveling, interior lighting, etc.) still get their power from the batteries (I hope you have more than one) - it's just that the converter-charger is charging the battery and providing extra power when connected to shore power.
    I used to think that all 12 V had to "go through" the batteries, but that is not the case. I can turn my battery master off (nothing in the trailer works) and hook up to shore power, and turn the converter off at the breaker. If I do that, the straight 120 stuff like the outlets, microwave, TV, etc. will work, but no 12 V stuff (like lights, etc.) will work. Now, if I turn the converter back on, all of the 12 volt stuff will work again, even with the batteries in off position. So, the converter will power 12 volt in the trailer, even if the battery master is off. The converter will not charge the battery in that instance either, as it is isolated.
    Last edited by hartcentr; 08-13-2022 at 02:58 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hartcentr View Post
    I can turn my battery master off (nothing in the trailer works) and hook up to shore power, and turn the converter off at the breaker. If I do that, the straight 120 stuff like the outlets will work, but no 12 V stuff (like lights, etc.) will work. Now, if I turn the converter back on, all of the 12 volt stuff will work again, even with the batteries in off position. So, the converter will power 12 volt in the trailer, even if the battery master is off. The converter will not charge the battery in that instance either, as it is isolated.
    Thank you for this information. It is helpful to understand how this works,
    Sue
    2020 Solitude 380 FL-R

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast