Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Battery?

Florida and Vermont and anywhere in between
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    was the 12.4 with the battery cables connected? If so, then it may be fine. Any loads on the battery will lower the meter reading
    Yes the battery cables were connected (to the battery) but shore power was off. We may have had some electrical powered items on in the RV.

Sue
    Susan (and Alan, Oliver, and Shiloh).
    2020 Solitude 380 FL-R

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would strongly suggest that you absolutely eliminate the battery as a problem...and if you only have one, install a second one in parallel. It really sounds like you have a bad battery.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    Thats great you got your truck wiring resolved. I think you still need to check your battery as previously discussed. The truck really doesnt fully charge a battery since it isnt connected long enough to provide enough charge.

If you were plugged in shore power, and the battery still isnt fully charged after removing shore power, there is a chance your battery has issues.

A load test of the battery an auto parts store will determine that, or even a multimeter on the battery when shore power is turned off can help identify potential issues.
    There are definitely still issues. It's a matter of isolating them. However when we get to a campground, at least the fridge hasn't lost power. So the fuse that is in the truck, replaced, that powers the cord that powers the battery (that powers the inverter?) seems to be resolved. So at our next stop yesterday, the fridge was fine. I didn't connect to shore power but lowered the landing gear without it...no trouble. Then I tried to use the autolevel and it first gave a low voltage message but then gave a "component error" message. I had checked the fridge about 5 mins prior (maybe 10) but then when checked fridge, the temp was up about 5 degrees.

I just wanted to give y'all an update. We get home in about 5 days. I've figured out all of the workarounds at that point and hopefully when at home I can troubleshoot this in more depth.

Thanks again to all who responded and helped. I truly appreciate it.

Sue
    2020 Solitude 380 FL-R

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Sue,

I have a 380-FLR and before my solar was installed our refrigerator would drain the battery enough to where it would be up to mid-high 40s on 5-6+ hour travel days in the heat for what it's worth. I tow with a Chevy as well.

How does that 2500 tow the 380?

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great little tool to check the voltage in the batteries without having to use a multimeter...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You just check it on your smart phone. Works great. Don't have to take the battery cover(s) off or anything. I have dual batteries in parallel but I only have one of these. The battery "idiot lights" in the trailer are worthless. By the time they show a problem, it's too late.
    Last edited by hartcentr; 08-13-2022 at 03:13 PM.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan_S View Post
    There are definitely still issues. It's a matter of isolating them. However when we get to a campground, at least the fridge hasn't lost power. So the fuse that is in the truck, replaced, that powers the cord that powers the battery (that powers the inverter?) seems to be resolved. So at our next stop yesterday, the fridge was fine. I didn't connect to shore power but lowered the landing gear without it...no trouble. Then I tried to use the autolevel and it first gave a low voltage message but then gave a "component error" message. I had checked the fridge about 5 mins prior (maybe 10) but then when checked fridge, the temp was up about 5 degrees.

I just wanted to give y'all an update. We get home in about 5 days. I've figured out all of the workarounds at that point and hopefully when at home I can troubleshoot this in more depth.

Thanks again to all who responded and helped. I truly appreciate it.

Sue
    The hydraulic pump draws a lot less current lowering the landing gear compared to raising and leveling the RV. If you have a depleted battery, the hydrualic pump will struggle.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hartcentr View Post
    Great little tool to check the voltage in the batteries without having to use a multimeter...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You just check it on your smart phone. Works great. Don't have to take the battery cover(s) off or anything. I have dual batteries in parallel but I only have one of these. The battery "idiot lights" in the trailer are worthless. By the time they show a problem, it's too late.
    Thank you. It looks so easy even I can use it. :-)
    Thanks again,
    Sue
    2020 Solitude 380 FL-R

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian_ View Post
    Hi Sue,

I have a 380-FLR and before my solar was installed our refrigerator would drain the battery enough to where it would be up to mid-high 40s on 5-6+ hour travel days in the heat for what it's worth. I tow with a Chevy as well.

How does that 2500 tow the 380?
    Hi Brian,

So to be perfectly transparent, based on the information that most people provide here, we probably should have a dually....but we don't. And we think it tows very well. We love our truck and we love our RV and we think they are a good match. We've been over the Teton Pass with no issues and cross-country trips with no issues. However I'm sure the purists would not feel we had a good match and I like to listen to them, it just didn't work out that way. I'm also partial to Chevy because it was the one brand my Dad thought was the best. It's meaningless really. My Dad didn't know a lot about cars but you know sometimes you grow up with stuff that you can't let go of. :-)

Interesting that you've had issues with the temp of the fridge. We also wonder if it was the odd heat wave that contributed to all this angst. We were in Denver and the temps were up in the 90s....but since leaving (now in Ohio) the temps are much lower and we're not having the issues. but we did have the dead cell going ot one of the electrical points (battery) so it was also an issue.

We thought about solar. We aren't full timing and weren't sure if it was economical for us but we like the green initiative as well.

Which Chevy do you have?

There are so many variables.

Thank you,

Sue
    2020 Solitude 380 FL-R

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan_S View Post
    Yes the battery cables were connected (to the battery) but shore power was off. We may have had some electrical powered items on in the RV.

Sue
    There is always some draws. That is why the volt meter readings are not accurate.
    Last edited by huntindog; 08-13-2022 at 04:30 PM.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234