User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by more tired since retired View Post
    I'll bet money the awning was opened and closed several times prior to delivery to you. I know when I had my walk-thru, the tech did that twice, showing me to open it about 1/3 of the way, stop and wait a few seconds and then finish running it out. We've had our unit 3 years now and haven't had an issue with the awning. My guess is the awning was run out without stopping several times. These are gas only struts, not like the hydraulic/gas type in trucks and cars. There is nothing lubricating the seals and any abuse, especially if they have been sitting in high heat or cold can damage the piston seals.
    This stopping the awning halfway was recently mentioned in another thread recently but nobody had heard of this or ever done this. I forget who the member was that brought this up but he had heard it from a mobile tech. Anyway, I've never done this and never had any issues. It's not like it's moving fast like closing a truck hood.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well now, I found who said it. Lol it's in this thread.
    I think I need more caffeine, it'd been a long day. M
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should I raise my bed 1/2 way and wait for the gas shocks (appear to be the same as in my awning arms) to equalize before raising it all the way to access the laundry hamper?
    How long do I need to pause to let the 2000 psi of nitrogen equalize? 1 millisecond or 2?

I think "internet BS" is a very appropriate description in this case as the pressurized nitrogen has the ability to equalize probably 100 times faster than we are able to extend/retract the awning (or mattress).
    2019 2970RL
    2020 F250

Seasoned Camper more tired since retired's Avatar
    southern Georgia, where gnats rule the world
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pap and Mimi View Post
    Should I raise my bed 1/2 way and wait for the gas shocks (appear to be the same as in my awning arms) to equalize before raising it all the way to access the laundry hamper?
    How long do I need to pause to let the 2000 psi of nitrogen equalize? 1 millisecond or 2?

I think "internet BS" is a very appropriate description in this case as the pressurized nitrogen has the ability to equalize probably 100 times faster than we are able to extend/retract the awning (or mattress).
    And where did you get 2000psi?
    2020 F-250 XLT SuperCrew 7.3L Blue Ox SwayPro, 2020 Imagine 2600RB,
    1600W Solar w/525AH LiFePO4, Victron 3000W, Road Armor w/wet bolt suspension, VisionWork Camera System, Peplink MAX BR1 Pro 5G Mobile Router,MicroAir EasyStart
    Amateur Radio Call N9XGZ FMCA#489460 Escapees SKP#166379

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by more tired since retired View Post
    And where did you get 2000psi?
    A google search showed nitrogen cylinders are charged up to 2000 psi depending on piston size and weight rating.
    That may have have been “BS” also now that I think of it.

Seasoned Camper more tired since retired's Avatar
    southern Georgia, where gnats rule the world
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pap and Mimi View Post
    A google search showed nitrogen cylinders are charged up to 2000 psi depending on piston size and weight rating.
    That may have have been “BS” also now that I think of it.
    These assissts don't have heavy enough metal bodies to hold anywhere near 2000 psi. Here is the information on an awning strut.

Solera Gas Strut, 124 to 144 lbs for Pitched Awning Arms

My guess is the gas pressure is slightly above the rating. Anything that causes the sealing gasket on the piston would cause lost presure. The reason for taking a pause in openingh/closing is to allow pressure to equalize internally. Continuous movement could cause the seal to tear, rip or fold....at least that's my understanding.
    Last edited by more tired since retired; 08-30-2022 at 09:32 AM.
    2020 F-250 XLT SuperCrew 7.3L Blue Ox SwayPro, 2020 Imagine 2600RB,
    1600W Solar w/525AH LiFePO4, Victron 3000W, Road Armor w/wet bolt suspension, VisionWork Camera System, Peplink MAX BR1 Pro 5G Mobile Router,MicroAir EasyStart
    Amateur Radio Call N9XGZ FMCA#489460 Escapees SKP#166379

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234