User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by more tired since retired View Post
    I've never seen this in an owner's manual or hear it from a salesman. I was given this information by a long time full-timer RVer. He told me he learned the hard way, replacing 5 of these shocks until a tech told him how to own and close his awning.
    Seeing as how My experience over 10 years had no failures, and the fact that such struts are used on many things besides awnings (automobile hoods, hatchbacks tool boxes etc,) all of which are normally used without a pause......
    I feel pretty comfortable calling internet B.S. on this.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    Seeing as how My experience over 10 years had no failures, and the fact that such struts are used on many things besides awnings (automobile hoods, hatchbacks tool boxes etc,) all of which are normally used without a pause......
    I feel pretty comfortable calling internet B.S. on this.
    That's a bit stronger than I was thinking , but I was pretty sure it was an old RV tech's tale.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildbill57 View Post
    Pick up our new 2022 grand design imagine and brought it home after a couple rainy days I extended the awning out went back into the house and came back out about 15 minutes later and the left side arm of the awning was pitched so the awning was almost hitting the door when you opened the door I straightened it backup but then 15 minutes later it had dropped again about 6" not sure what the problem is could it be the strut I'm just not sure anybody out there with a suggestion
    Our brand new Imagine 22MLE has the same issue with unwanted dipping of the Solera awning lead arm. I alerted GDRV and provided photos, noting that the conical Belleville washer on that arm had collapsed and no longer provided the requisite friction to hold the weight. GDRV have escalated my concern to Lippert and I await their response now. I am hopeful that I can DIY the problem once they send me the proper washer. Tried to source one locally without success.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails good washer.jpg   bad washer.jpg  

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lippert awning question

Mine does the same thing. Front side collapses immediately. I haven’t attempted to tighten it because I want it that way
    I lower the back side to match and install my supports and tie it down
    Has been out in extreme coastal wind and heavy downpours without issue
    IMO with rain both arms should be lowered not just one
    YMMV
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0702.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	105.7 KB 
ID:	42573
    Last edited by NB Canada; 08-18-2022 at 06:19 AM.
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    Mine does the same thing. Front side collapses immediately. I haven’t attempted to tighten it because I want it that way
    I lower the back side to match and install my supports and tie it down
    Has been out in extreme coastal wind and heavy downpours without issue
    IMO with rain both arms should be lowered not just one
    YMMV
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0702.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	105.7 KB 
ID:	42573
    Love to hear more about your supports. Did you make those yourself? From the picture, they look pretty cool.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildbill57 View Post
    Just contacted the dealer's service department. They told me it could be a bad piston. This is brand new. You think it would have been tested at the factory.
    I had the exact same problem and the dealer will be replacing. I'm with you...very surprised this wasn't tested.

Seasoned Camper more tired since retired's Avatar
    southern Georgia, where gnats rule the world
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tgskiman View Post
    I had the exact same problem and the dealer will be replacing. I'm with you...very surprised this wasn't tested.
    Please explain how you think they should be tested. Understand it would probably double the price of each unit to have someone test them more than they already are and even then there still would be failures.

Why do you expect everything will work perfectly, never failing?
    2020 F-250 XLT SuperCrew 7.3L Blue Ox SwayPro, 2020 Imagine 2600RB,
    1600W Solar w/525AH LiFePO4, Victron 3000W, Road Armor w/wet bolt suspension, VisionWork Camera System, Peplink MAX BR1 Pro 5G Mobile Router,MicroAir EasyStart
    Amateur Radio Call N9XGZ FMCA#489460 Escapees SKP#166379

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please explain how you think they should be tested. Understand it would probably double the price of each unit to have someone test them more than they already are and even then there still would be failures.

Why do you expect everything will work perfectly, never failing?
    It failed day one so I'm just surprised that they wouldn't open the awning as part of the final build check, that is all. I was more referring to more overall build quality/testing rather than better testing of the individual component.

Seasoned Camper more tired since retired's Avatar
    southern Georgia, where gnats rule the world
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tgskiman View Post
    It failed day one so I'm just surprised that they wouldn't open the awning as part of the final build check, that is all. I was more referring to more overall build quality/testing rather than better testing of the individual component.
    I'll bet money the awning was opened and closed several times prior to delivery to you. I know when I had my walk-thru, the tech did that twice, showing me to open it about 1/3 of the way, stop and wait a few seconds and then finish running it out. We've had our unit 3 years now and haven't had an issue with the awning. My guess is the awning was run out without stopping several times. These are gas only struts, not like the hydraulic/gas type in trucks and cars. There is nothing lubricating the seals and any abuse, especially if they have been sitting in high heat or cold can damage the piston seals.
    2020 F-250 XLT SuperCrew 7.3L Blue Ox SwayPro, 2020 Imagine 2600RB,
    1600W Solar w/525AH LiFePO4, Victron 3000W, Road Armor w/wet bolt suspension, VisionWork Camera System, Peplink MAX BR1 Pro 5G Mobile Router,MicroAir EasyStart
    Amateur Radio Call N9XGZ FMCA#489460 Escapees SKP#166379

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll bet money the awning was opened and closed several times prior to delivery to you. I know when I had my walk-thru, the tech did that twice, showing me to open it about 1/3 of the way, stop and wait a few seconds and then finish running it out. We've had our unit 3 years now and haven't had an issue with the awning. My guess is the awning was run out without stopping several times. These are gas only struts, not like the hydraulic/gas type in trucks and cars. There is nothing lubricating the seals and any abuse, especially if they have been sitting in high heat or cold can damage the piston seals.
    Thanks for that info! I was unaware of that procedure and will try it once replaced.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast