Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Frame Issues?

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frame Issues?

Just came across some discussion about a recent rash of bent and broken frames.

Yes, it was a couple YouTube videos, so nothing is confirmed... Please do your own research about it.

I have always thought RV frames were a little light, but that's just my opinion and there's not much we can do about it. One thing did catch my attention though. One thing that came out in the story was that the weight distribution hitch voided the extended warranty bought from the dealer (Lippert and the RV manufacturer voided the warranty outright. )

I've never thought much about it because I have a fifth wheel, but a weight distribution hitch will most definitely add a downward load at the point the A Frame attaches to the main frame rails on a bumper pull trailer.

Maybe some good discussion about hitches, loading and structures....
    Roger, Stacy and the Sophie the fur kid

2017 Solitude 300GK
    2015 Chev 2500 Diesel (replaced)
    2020 F350 DRW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe I saw the same video, or one similar. The individual was towing through a construction zone and a sudden dip caused his frame to bend at the A-frame to TT frame weld joint. I would think you would see this more often if it was a serious issue. 100,000’s if people tow their travel trailer every day with zero issues. I suspect that he either didn’t have the correct WDH loading for his setup or if he did it was set up wrong. I by no means am taking up for the TT industry and these crappy Lippert frames, I just don’t see it being a widespread issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep. That's the one I saw. I agree there is probably more to the story, but it lead to another one with a dealer talking about more failures recently than in the past.... not saying there is an issue, but...

And I can also see the issue of finger pointing between Lippert and the final manufacturer. No matter how that plays out, the consumer loses.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I came across the exact video (BTW, it was not a Grand Design, and it was explicitly a lightweight trailer by design).

We are headed out on a long trip with our rig, and I have a Hensley Arrow. It sent shivers down my spine.

I immediately did a frame inspection and had a fabricator look over my frame; I already had him replace the rear bumper for something substantial to set up my generator box. He fixed an incomplete weld under the A-frame and identified it from the factory. This is a fabricator I trust implicitly; I told him I wanted more strength and asked him to watch the video leading to my concern. His advice was to leave it alone. It was plenty strong in that area. He said he would do more if I wanted, but he did not feel it was a professional recommendation.

I have an upgraded suspension with Road Master Slipper Springs, which he felt was a significant upgrade. In the end, I probably would not have identified the incomplete weld from the factory had I not seen that video, so I am happy.

I am not defending the TT Industry or Lippert. They build crap, but the whole market does. I believe any TT is simply a starter kit. I consider them as a builder spec home. You go in and change the stuff you don't like.
    Ex-Nihilo
    2022 2970RL (Fabricated 1/4 Inch Bumper w/ RV Generator Boxes)
    1200AH Lithium, 1000w Solar w/ Victron Multi-Plus II
    5.5K Axles- EOH Disc Brakes- Hensley Arrow
    Road Master Slipper Springs
    2021 RAM Longhorn 2500 Cummins 6.7
    Chattanooga TN

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ExNihilo View Post
    I came across the exact video (BTW, it was not a Grand Design, and it was explicitly a lightweight trailer by design).

We are headed out on a long trip with our rig, and I have a Hensley Arrow. It sent shivers down my spine.

I immediately did a frame inspection and had a fabricator look over my frame; I already had him replace the rear bumper for something substantial to set up my generator box. He fixed an incomplete weld under the A-frame and identified it from the factory. This is a fabricator I trust implicitly; I told him I wanted more strength and asked him to watch the video leading to my concern. His advice was to leave it alone. It was plenty strong in that area. He said he would do more if I wanted, but he did not feel it was a professional recommendation.

I have an upgraded suspension with Road Master Slipper Springs, which he felt was a significant upgrade. In the end, I probably would not have identified the incomplete weld from the factory had I not seen that video, so I am happy.

I am not defending the TT Industry or Lippert. They build crap, but the whole market does. I believe any TT is simply a starter kit. I consider them as a builder spec home. You go in and change the stuff you don't like.
    All agreed. When I first got into the RV thing, I was very disappointed with build quality. I fix what I can and live with the rest. Occasionally I still threaten my wife with building my own from scratch, but she refuses to drive a Freightliner to pull my 40k pound fifth wheel 🤣

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you talk her into it I am game to build two! That sounds like fun.
    Ex-Nihilo
    2022 2970RL (Fabricated 1/4 Inch Bumper w/ RV Generator Boxes)
    1200AH Lithium, 1000w Solar w/ Victron Multi-Plus II
    5.5K Axles- EOH Disc Brakes- Hensley Arrow
    Road Master Slipper Springs
    2021 RAM Longhorn 2500 Cummins 6.7
    Chattanooga TN

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few years ago we were walking though the repair area of local RV dealer and say a SOB 5er that was advertised as "Lite" with the forward over hang broke loose from the frame at the welds. You could see where the frame dragged on the road. I ask what happen and they showed me a pile of stuff that was in the basement which included two chest type tool box and bunch of large wrench, socket sets and parts. The guy was a mobile diesel mechanic. They estimated 1500 pounds of tool and parts just in the basement alone. That doesn't include what he had under the bed.
    Last edited by CWSWine; 04-04-2022 at 09:19 AM.
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw the same Utube video about the A-frame collapsing as the RV was pulled through the work zone. There have been various similar situations documented and naturally the RV mfg points to LCI and LCI points to the mfg.

Another video bothered me more. It was a 2021 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS with 4 cracks in the I-beam web. Each crack was above the front and rear spring hangers on both sides of the trailer. I noticed the I-beam had a square tube welded to the lower flange of the I-beam. This was a design change several years ago to add height allowing 16" wheels to be used. It seems the added square tube design is adding twisting stress to the web which should be re-evaluated for appropriate design parameters. Maybe use a bigger I-beam and delete the square tube?
    2018 GD Reflections 337RLS, 2021 Ram 3500 Cummins 4x4 CC w/auto level dually, TrailAir pinbox, B&W Companion hitch, Fold-A-Cover Tonneau

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hit a unseen dip on a paved road towing my 2016 Imagine 22RBE. The A frame buckled and bent just forward of the front attach point. The trailer was not overloaded, verified by CAT scales. I was amazed to find that the wall thickness of the A frame rectangular tubing only measured between .100"and .090"
    2019 Imagine XLS 22RBE
    2002 holiday Rambler Endeavor
    Full time since 2010

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dave - I've been seeing / hearing more about this on other forums - more recently with the XLS 21 & 23BHE series. Yours is the first I've seen so far on 22RBE - which is what we have - hence concerns me. Not long after we had our 2021 RBE noticed the cross frame "C" channel member that attaches to the A frame was bent and slightly cracked in center - Dealer had GD pay them to straighten, add an angle iron and repaint. But seeing this A frame collapse more now is concerning. Question - Did GD or LCI step up via your dealer to fix or replace your A frame? Also curious what tow vehicle you have and WDH you use as well?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast