User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DM2662 Pain in my **********

Have a DM2662 that just up and stopped working. Actually, the fridge is NOT cooling on AC. Freezer works on propane and AC. Fridge works on propane, just not on AC. Go figure. I've changed out the lower circuit board, test resistance and continuity of the Thermistor and thermofuse, replaced the heating element, confirmed AV and DC power sources. I've even stood on my head and clicked my heels together 3 times. Nothing. Of course we are leaving for a cross country trip in a week and half. I can replace unit with Norcold for $1900 and get it by next Monday. But was wondering, is it safe to run it on propane for the entire trip? I've never run it for long periods on propane. Just afraid of the constant heat generated. Thoughts on anything?

Thanks

Jake
    2018 Grand Design Imagine 3170bh
    2012 Ford F350 Diesel, Long Box, Quad Cab

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercer View Post
    Have a DM2662 that just up and stopped working. Actually, the fridge is NOT cooling on AC. Freezer works on propane and AC. Fridge works on propane, just not on AC. Go figure. I've changed out the lower circuit board, test resistance and continuity of the Thermistor and thermofuse, replaced the heating element, confirmed AV and DC power sources. I've even stood on my head and clicked my heels together 3 times. Nothing. Of course we are leaving for a cross country trip in a week and half. I can replace unit with Norcold for $1900 and get it by next Monday. But was wondering, is it safe to run it on propane for the entire trip? I've never run it for long periods on propane. Just afraid of the constant heat generated. Thoughts on anything?

Thanks

Jake
    First off @Mercer, it looks like this is your first post, welcome aboard. Your situation does sound unique. And it seems like you've done all the prudent steps to find the problem. That would be a pretty steep price to replace the unit, hope you can find a less expensive option. As far as the propane is concerned, I don't know of any reason why you couldn't run the frig on propane the whole way. We have a 12-volt refer now, but on our old TT we mostly ran on propane without any issues.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of folks use propane only (boondocking, etc.). I don't know that my brother-in-law has ever operated his on AC unless it was to cool it down at the house before a trip (they only boondock). The situation is odd, though, since the absorption refrigerant circulation system is for both the fridge and the freezer. I don't know why both compartments would cool on propane and not on AC. I assume you've called Dometic about this?

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercer View Post
    . I've even stood on my head and clicked my heels together 3 times. Nothing. Of course we are leaving for a cross country trip in a week and half. I can replace unit with Norcold for $1900 and get it by next Monday.

Thanks

Jake
    Jake maybe that's where you went wrong, I thought I read you have to click your heels 4 times...3 only works for Dorothy
    Welcome to the group!

Seriously though, I wouldn't trade one headache for another. Norcold doesn't work half the time either. your money would be better spent converting it to 12 v and use the gas in the mean time.

Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all. I've contacted Dometic, but they give me the regular boiler plate things to try...is it plugged in, is it on the right setting, is the propane turned on. To quote the great Patches O'Houlihan from Dodgeball, "They're about as useful as a Poopy Flavored Lollipop."

Sounds like I'll go propane then change over to 12V when I get back. Just don't want to burn the TT down...my wife's cooking does that...

Jake

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Jake,

First, welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear of your troubles. I am going to ask you a few questions, primarily to see where it’s at. Typically if it does not work on AC is can be traced to a bad electric element, which can be checked with a simple resistance test.

How long did you have it on? Typically these take at least a good 24 hours to fully cook, and the freezer usually cools off first.

Did you give it. Solid 24 hours to cool on AC?

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK. So first off thanks to all of you who replied to my post. I greatly appreciate it.

A HUGE thanks goes to stroguy, poster on this forum. I happened to read a recent post, maybe 4 or 5 below mine by a gentleman who was also having issues with their DM2662 fridge. In that thread I saw a small post from stroguy who mentioned that this gentleman should check a tiny little button on the thermofuse. This button is hidden between both power leads of the thermofuse. According to stroguy that button needs to be completely depressed. After creating this thread and posting my question I wandered out to the TT and decided on a whim to check for that little button. It's tiny by the way and hidden like it's its job. I took a pair of long nosed pliers and pulled it out. Turned the fridge on and went to work. 4 hours later, low and behold, I had a cold fridge.

NO WHERE in all the literature from Dometic, all the paperwork from GD, from the Dometic helpline and the emails they sent, and in none of the videos I've seen has anyone described this little protuberance and that it must be completely pulled out. I don't even realize it was a button. It's really poor on Dometic's part to not mention this button. I was very close to spending several thousand dollars on a new fridge. Really, Really Poor on Dometic's part.

Thanks again for the replies and especially to stroguy. I owe you a beer or case or keg.

Jake

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Jake and glad you are chilling again. I got lucky on that one. I learned of that button through this forum and YouTube videos. Glad I mentioned it but there were plenty of broke fridges before me. So happy you are cooling. There are other little unknown kinks in these Dometic fridges.
    Randy and Kris

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What button. Pics?

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follow the two red wires in the lower section that go to the burner stack. There is a black button in between those two red wires. I am away or I would snap a pic.
    Randy and Kris

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast