User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Replacing 12 volt battery with 2 @ 6 volts

We have just purchased a 317RST and have done some searching on the forums but have not found if anyone has replaced a 12 volt battery with 2 @ 6 volt batteries. I have a quote from an RV Dealer for the batteries and battery box which seems reasonable but they say there will be $190 in labor to do the change out. Seems like a lot unless there is much more to it than I think there would be.
    Suggestions welcomed.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Glenn & Jill,

There has been much discussion about this on this forum.
    Probably as important as choosing to add a second battery is how you will carry and vent it.
    This forum has a pretty good search tool in the upper right hand corner . . . type in "6 volt" or "battery" or similar and you will find lots of discussion.
    Like http://www.mygrandrv.com/for...volt+batteries
    I am (personally) not a big fan of 6V batteries in series . . . but many are . . . I added a second 12V battery. You can get the same amp-hour capacity with two 12s as you can with two 6s. Have a read through the various discussions and you will be able to make a much more informed choice.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Replacing 12 volt battery with 2 @ 6 volts

I'm with Rob on this. With 2 6V batteries in series if you get an open cell in either you are dead in the water. You can get the same capacity with 2 12 V batteries and if one of them opens you are still in business just at half capacity. Failed batteries are never a question of if, but a question of when.

Rob EE
    2015 Reflection 323 BHS #589
    Still working Electrical Engineer
    Rob, Maureen, Dakota, Jacob and Murphy the Lab
    JustinThyme (Just In Time) is a forum handle

notnsuv
    I was going to go with 2 6v then followed the logic above and told my dealer 2 12v to be installed in the new 303. I get down there the other day and they're finishing up install of 2 6v batteries.. I'll let it slide and give it a go. They're included in the price of the unit, including labor (as is the B&W turnaround ball and Anderson Ultimate). Picking the unit up on Wednesday so will take pics of the installation. If it's sub par I will be sure they make it right. Depending on how it is I might opt for a 12 standby battery in lieu of a 2nd bank of 6v. Someone on here is doing that with a switch between. If I go with 2 more 6v I'd better do it soon since used batteries with new batteries lessens the life of both.

Solar will follow when we get back in August.

10 years with my pickup and decide today is a good day to hammer a mirror on the shop door. It's those darn accordion GM mirrors from '05. They're $480 EACH from Rock Auto so I ordered 2 of the manual extend, power mirrors instead for half the money. The passenger side was weak and needed help to extend anyway. Hated those mirrors from day 1. Could have waited another 10 years though, instead of hammering it one week from our first trip with the new fiver.