User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @RV Sailor, thanks for input.
    The tow capacity is 7700 lbs and 770lbs for tongue weight. I never exceed the 6995 gross for the TT and I try to keep the tongue weight to 10% or 670-700 lbs. No sway at 670lbs but more porpusing when the tongue weight gets up to 750lbs which has been the highest I’ve measured.
    This rig has performed pretty well for almost 20,000 miles including several Colorado mountain passes and 30-40 mph cross winds. The Quattro thingy controls sway really well so the drive feels comfortable and controlled. The supercharged 6 has 335 hp and 335 ft lbs torque but will rarely shift into 8th gear and cruise at 1600 rpm unless there’s a good tail wind. It’s usually in 6th or 7th gear. Towing mileage is about 11.7 mpg at 60 mph vs 28 mpg at 75 mph when not towing. The engine coolant temp never changes, but the oil temp goes higher especially climbing 6-7% grades. I don’t try to maintain speed when the oil temp rises above 240 degrees.
    I really hope I’m safe and that this change will improve the ride too.

Seasoned Camper more tired since retired's Avatar
    southern Georgia, where gnats rule the world
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This vehicle is a unibody. The reason it "cannot take a WDH" is the body is susceptible to twisting and bending. I wouldn't consider pulling your trailer with this vehicle. If it has any warranty, problems created by the trailer (twisting, cracking, bending) voids any warranty and if in an accident while towing, I wouldn't be at all surprised your insurance company has issues. Even an accident without the trailer could be tracked to damage from towing.

My opinion, this vehicle shouldn't be towing that trailer. And putting this hitch on the trailer leads to it's own issues with the trailer. It's not safe or smart.
    2020 F-250 XLT SuperCrew 7.3L Blue Ox SwayPro, 2020 Imagine 2600RB,
    1600W Solar w/525AH LiFePO4, Victron 3000W, Road Armor w/wet bolt suspension, VisionWork Camera System, Peplink MAX BR1 Pro 5G Mobile Router,MicroAir EasyStart
    Amateur Radio Call N9XGZ FMCA#489460 Escapees SKP#166379

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any Imagine owners use an adjustable coupler?

I towed for 4 years with my unibody RAV4 with an equalizer e4 hitch without any issue whatsoever
    The factory hitch has over 10 mounting spots on the body
    It was very strong and there was no way it was going to twist or bend anything
    I have never seen this in my career in the auto business
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky1 View Post
    I should have given more background. So I’m trying to get the trailer coupler close to the same height as the TV without using a drop hitch. See I’m towing with 2018 Audi Q7 that can’t take a WDH and is supposed to tow with a no rise or drop ball. I’m using a 4” drop upside down for about a 2-3” rise but the TT still rides nose down about 2”.
    When I did my first wheel by wheel weigh at Escapees using a straight hitch all weights were within limits but the front axle carried 700 pounds more than the rear axle. The nose of the TT was down 3-4” lower than rear.
    I called a welder I respect and he said he’d never done that on a travel trailer he had put one on a trailer the city owned.
    It makes very little difference if you raise the TV ball or lower the coupler since they both join together to accomplish the task. That being said you are already using a 4" drop inverter and are coming up 2" shy of being level... get a 6" drop and invert it and give it a shot.
    **BUT ** I agree with the others that this isn't the ideal tow vehicle for your RV.
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My concern echos many of the previous responses, but from a bit of a different angle.

If I remember correctly, many of the Class-3 receiver hitches are rated to 10,000# trailer weight and 1,000# tongue weight, but you need to use a WDH if you’re exceeding 5,000# trailer weight or 500# tongue weight. I realize the car says it can tow more than the trailer weighs, but is the hitch OK with what it’s subjected to?

Does seem odd that you aren’t able to use some WDH though…. It seems to reason that if you can shove down on the rear of the car that hard, you should be able to distribute some of the weight to the front, as well as the to the trailer. No different than if you had a couple really large people in the front seats! Certainly that’s not illegal!

Back to the main point…. You’re asking an awful lot from the Q7. Beautiful rig, but that’s not its strong point! I’ve got a close friend with one, and they wouldn’t even dream of hitching their 20’ pontoon boat to it!

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have a fairly good size TT for a Q7 - not an expert - but would be concerned about modifying TT hitch via a height extension - i.e. introducing leverage forces. Correct trailer not level thus putting more weight on tongue - I think your max is 770 lbs for Q7 - also assume that is without much cargo in vehicle. Here's a link I found on E-Trailer that might interest you with regard to sway control
    https://www.etrailer.com/question-371004.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you do decide to do it (No, don't! ��), be certain to always double-check that your chains are connected! ��
    Roger & Leonard
    Imagine XLS 21BHE / RAM 1500 5.7L

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not an Audi engineer, suspect that neither are you. There are a multitude of undiscussed variables. What are your objectives?

First, the existing trailer hitch/frame is fully welded and certified. There are liability exposures for your proposal should you be involved in an accident and the attorneys become aware of the modification. Just because they state it is OK for up to 15k, doesn't make it so for your application.

Second, there is no supporting data that the modification you are proposing will have any effect on the weight basis discussed nor porpoising. The oscillations are a factor of spring rate, damping rates and variable input forces. It could also make the situation worse.

You stated that you have incurred 20k of usage with the existing setup. If you are feeling it is unsafe, then I suggest upgrading to a known solution, a better TV. If you are looking to tweek your current setup but are generally comfortable with how it performs, suggest slowing tow speeds down and using it as is. I would be VERY uncomfortable with your suggested modification for the reasons suggested.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We own a 2018 Q7 Quattro as well as an Imagine 22RBE. Used to pull TT w F-150 4x4 crew turbo Eco-Boost - did ok - now F250. Never Imagined pulling it with the Q7 even though spec numbers said I could. Its not so much about pulling forward as it is about stopping or making corrective maneuvers with a fairly massive 6,000 lb Box Trailer. Saw this photo on another site - confirmed my logic that proper TV size and hitch capacity matters.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	21BHE.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	93.6 KB 
ID:	42639
    Last edited by DC22RBE; 08-20-2022 at 10:09 PM.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DC22RBE View Post
    We own a 2018 Q7 Quattro as well as an Imagine 22RBE. Used to pull TT w F-150 4x4 crew turbo Eco-Boost - did ok - now F250. Never Imagined pulling it with the Q7 even though spec numbers said I could. Its not so much about pulling forward as it is about stopping or making corrective maneuvers with a fairly massive 6,000 lb Box Trailer. Saw this photo on another site - confirmed my logic that proper TV size and hitch capacity matters.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	21BHE.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	93.6 KB 
ID:	42639
    To be fair you don’t know what caused this crash. There is a good chance it had nothing to do with what you think
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast