User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a VW Touareg, so same model and specs as your Audi. It pulled smaller trailers beautifully, very comfortable and great mileage with the diesel. Even used it with a Hensley and it was very stable, possibly the best tow package I’ve ever had.

However, after purchasing an Imagine 2250rk I realized it was time to give in and get a truck… I was technically borderline with lb load, but pulling a bigger trailer and really pushing the tongue weight wasn’t something I wanted to risk… no regrets, and the truck solved the height issues I didn’t even know I had.

Later moved to a bigger trailer and it was the same situation. The 1/2 ton I had was borderline for the new trailer, and moving to a 3/4 ton provided a much more stable and safe ride. Point is - match the TV to the TT. You will enjoy pulling it more, reduce the risk of something bad, and not have to invest in questionable workarounds.
    Last edited by SlimJim; 08-21-2022 at 07:31 AM.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are Correct - no idea what caused this - many tow with SUV's - just need to know limits and driving conditions.
    here's link to original post with more pictures - Orange County's Sheriffs Department May 16, 2021
    https://www.facebook.com/ocsonc/post...oXjekl?__cft__[0]=AZWt3W2dN3ZzjC_UeSIpz_1KDjbvn2cosjstEr4F1yqCSCb5v 1NIUBU9LJS4htSy9W0qERv26AG4vBlaDwcEF80UCmbBcyWJcqp vdIABWSg_tf0uXHLB9F9RMdpX8fw3LDL297SsUJLcqFMbTsLln p7be4EHr_eJbu2PRxr6lvVw8L-NMeMY6R1CWsSITFVWO_E&__tn__=R]-R

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky1 View Post
    I should have given more background. So I’m trying to get the trailer coupler close to the same height as the TV without using a drop hitch. See I’m towing with 2018 Audi Q7 that can’t take a WDH and is supposed to tow with a no rise or drop ball. I’m using a 4” drop upside down for about a 2-3” rise but the TT still rides nose down about 2”.
    When I did my first wheel by wheel weigh at Escapees using a straight hitch all weights were within limits but the front axle carried 700 pounds more than the rear axle. The nose of the TT was down 3-4” lower than rear.
    I called a welder I respect and he said he’d never done that on a travel trailer he had put one on a trailer the city owned.
    Sparky1 - you are 100% correct. Audi does not want an WDH system ruining the sophisticated Quattro system. In fact, Audi has specific height and ball hitch distance requirements to which I have followed and with three seasons of use, (4900miles of towing), not had an issue even though I am a bit nose deep. I had a rear hitch receiver mounted professionally, welded, to the rear frame and a 500lb cargo carrier installed. I offset the ball hitch weight to make sure my hitch weight is no heavier then 770lbs.
    Personally, I would not mess with the TT tongue myself. Our Audi has the factory tow system on it and I purchased the OEM receiver slide in, then had 2 swaybar tabs welded to it.
    Mark & Lyne
    2019 Imagine 2250RK
    2017 Audi Q7 Premium Plus with factory tow package - 2 sway controllers
    TT Ready for boondocking with solar installed on roof

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sincerely appreciate everybody very civil input! Thing I hadn't considered made me think. But I did the deed and switched couplers.
    TT towed smoother and flatter I think. I was able to get it level with the new coupler. It was also very stable when the curbside rear Goodyear Endurance blew a sidewall at 60 mph. We were lucky the tread didn’t break and whip around destroying things.
    Here’s a pic of the new coupler.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sincerely appreciate everybody very civil input! Thing I hadn't considered made me think. But I did the deed and switched couplers.
    TT towed smoother and flatter I think. I was able to get it level with the new coupler. It was also very stable when the curbside rear Goodyear Endurance blew a sidewall at 60 mph. We were lucky the tread didn’t break and whip around destroying things.
    Here’s a pic of the new coupler.
    Well done Sparky1 --- don't see a picture however. Happy it worked out for you.
    Mark & Lyne
    2019 Imagine 2250RK
    2017 Audi Q7 Premium Plus with factory tow package - 2 sway controllers
    TT Ready for boondocking with solar installed on roof

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can’t see how to attach an image. Also when I upload the image it is upside down.
    Tim, Pam and Popcorn(furry friend) 2018
    2017 Imagine 2150RB, CRE 3000 w/wet bolts, EMS-HW30C, 675 watt solar, Victron 150/45, Victron Multiplus 3000/120-50, Victron BMV-712, 3 BB 100ah LiFePo. [http://visited statesman.com/image/A...KORTXWIsm.jpg]

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	177BD43E-64FD-4C78-AAAE-F497B5438602.jpeg 
Views:	19 
Size:	403.5 KB 
ID:	43046
    Coupler on RB2150
    Tim, Pam and Popcorn(furry friend) 2018
    2017 Imagine 2150RB, CRE 3000 w/wet bolts, EMS-HW30C, 675 watt solar, Victron 150/45, Victron Multiplus 3000/120-50, Victron BMV-712, 3 BB 100ah LiFePo. [http://visited statesman.com/image/A...KORTXWIsm.jpg]

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Name:	177BD43E-64FD-4C78-AAAE-F497B5438602.jpeg 
Views:	19 
Size:	403.5 KB 
ID:	43046
    Coupler on RB2150

Name:	Screenshot_20220915-060102_Chrome.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	43047

Here you go... Picture correctly oriented.

If you edit (crop) the picture slightly before posting it it will always be correct.
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just wonder how that will affect future resale value? What about insurance coverage in case of an accident? Does the insurance company need to sign off on any major modifications to the coupler?

John

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IBEW_Sparky, thanks for fixing my picture and the tip!

59 Apache, I haven’t considered resale value. We like this 2150RB and may wear it out ourselves. ;-).

I haven’t notified the insurance company. I think I lowered their ( and my ) risk with this mod. The new coupler is as strong or stronger than the original coupler, it’s just adjustable. Also, the coupler now complies with the Audi tow vehicle specifications while the 3” rise ball didn’t comply. And being able to level the TT for towing adds to the safety and pleasure of towing more smoothly.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast