User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2600RB Getting Parallel To Ground

I asked this on the PP FB page. All I get is that it must be parallel (flat) to the ground.
    On our new 2600RB, there is no place to make a common measurement of the travel trailer. The frame has 3 different elevations. Instructions say don't use a bubble level as not accurate. Someone check my process. I put an 8' aluminum straight edge running bow to stern on the kitchen floor. On top of it went the 4' construction level. Made adjustments to the tongue jack until the bubble was as level as possible. Made the required trailer ball height measurement at 25.5". Is this similar to what others with a 2600RB get? I know this cannot be rocket science as the 1.25" spacing on the hitch bar mounting holes ain't exactly precision. Thoughts?

In my mind, parallel to the ground denotes level and vise versa. Can we have one without the other? Again at the front and the rear of the 2600RB, there is no common appendage of the frame. I suppose there might be a way to take readings of all the frame various structure and do +/- adjustments on paper to make a virtual common rail. I've looked at it and so far, have not figured this out. Surely there are others with the same complications. Any help is appreciated.
    Joyful & Drake
    SE Texas
    2022 Grand Design 2600RB
    2022 F150 Platinum 1777# Payload
    ProPride-3 1400 Hitch

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not to nitpick too terribly, but parallel to the ground isn't necessarily level. If the ground slopes, and you try to set up parallel to the ground, your trailer will slope just like the ground. The main reason to be level is for the refrigerator to perform adequately, provided it is a gas absorption type. If you're running a electric compressor fridge, 12 V or 120 V, then mostly level it to your comfort level (HAR).
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A bubble level is very accurate imo. Assuming you are trying to get it as level as possible for towing so as Hoopy alludes to, ensure you are on pretty level ground and use your bubble level. While nice and level is ideal, a touch high or low is how you will find most trailers because there is only so much adjustment to hitches.
    Heck, just parking in a reasonably level parking lot and standing back 30' and eyeballin' it will show if you are high or low or too close to call. Too close to call means you are good.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did I mention that my RV pad (where the tt is parked for the hitch install) is flat and level? So by adjusting the front to back pitch using an 8' aluminum straight edge with a 4' construction bubble level laying bow to stern on the kitchen floor is a mirror of the level and flat concrete pad. I suppose I'm just overthinking this complete process.

Anyone out here with a ProPride on a 2600RB still have there hitch box height number?
    Joyful & Drake
    SE Texas
    2022 Grand Design 2600RB
    2022 F150 Platinum 1777# Payload
    ProPride-3 1400 Hitch

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    A bubble level is very accurate imo...
    I would qualify that by saying that bubble levels are extremely accurate - as long as you're talking about a good carpenter's level. The little ones intended for RVs (Camco, etc.) not so much. They aren't long enough to guarantee a good interface with the surface they're on. I carry a high quality 36" carpenter's level in the basement to recalibrate the auto-level system when needed.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want something precise, browse pawn shops and fleabay for a good level. Most of the bubble levels out there are junk.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	81+2xdhz37L._SL1500_.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	86.1 KB 
ID:	42424
    2021 Reflection 367BHS
    2009 Dodge 3500 4x4 Longbed MegaCab
    Electrical Engineer/Musician/Rancher
    Habbitial facebook jail inmate and soon to be banned from here

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are setting up your hitch, not parking to camp. Find someplace that’s flat so the your entire trailer and tow vehicle are on the same flat surface. “Level” in this context means uniformly flat, not necessarily bubble level. Your trailer has a molding on the side that runs along the floor edge front to back. Measure from this molding to the ground at the front and back of the trailer and adjust the front Jack until these measurements are equal. Now your trailer is level to the ground (but may not be bubble level). Now take your ball height measurements.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought the OP was trying to level the trailer for living in, not traveling. Definitely over thinking it for traveling. Like was said, eyeballing it will work fine, and a quick measurement, comparing front and rear, will put your mind at ease. It's not rocket science. Level is good, perfectly level isn't necessary.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Level is good, perfectly level isn't necessary.
    Agreed.

I'd rather the front be ever so slightly high. If anything is added to the bed of the truck or more cargo is added to the front storage on the trailer, it will still be level or above. That's my $.02.
    2021 Reflection 367BHS
    2009 Dodge 3500 4x4 Longbed MegaCab
    Electrical Engineer/Musician/Rancher
    Habbitial facebook jail inmate and soon to be banned from here

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
    You are setting up your hitch, not parking to camp. Find someplace that’s flat so the your entire trailer and tow vehicle are on the same flat surface. “Level” in this context means uniformly flat, not necessarily bubble level. Your trailer has a molding on the side that runs along the floor edge front to back. Measure from this molding to the ground at the front and back of the trailer and adjust the front Jack until these measurements are equal. Now your trailer is level to the ground (but may not be bubble level). Now take your ball height measurements.
    ^^^^Exactly. This is the correct procedure for setting up trailer in order to measure ball height. Ball height is used to calculate and to set the hitch height when installing the Pro Pride hitch.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast