User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRedHat View Post
    Hey Easycamper, IÂ’m a little late to the party here but I thought I would chime in. I have a 2022 Silverado 2500 HD LT crew cab standard bed with the 6.6 gasser, and it is a fantastic truck. I actually bought this truck with the 278bh in mind. Like you, I went back and forth between the diesel and the gasser. Ultimately, I decided that extra 10k can buy a lot of gas haha. I tow maybe 2-3 times a year currently and the rest of the time it would just be a daily so I really couldnÂ’t justify the diesel.

As a daily driver, it does really well as long as you manage your expectations. Yes it rides stiffer than a newer 1500 but honestly it rides better than my 2002 Silverado 1500 did. Gas mileage is another point to consider. It doesnÂ’t do great around town. Personally I average 10-13 around town unloaded. The highway is a different story. Cruising around 70-74, I get 17-18mpg. Most guys with these trucks agree the sweet spot for mpg is around 65mph where you get 18-19.

Recently my wife and I took a cross country trip where we rented a Forest River R-Pod 190 and towed it around 4000 miles from the Midwest to the Rockies and back. It had plenty of power and felt super stable even at 80 mph. Granted that trailer only weighs 3500lbs but we got about 10-13mpg on that trip and I wasnÂ’t complaining.

Honestly if I had it to do over again, IÂ’d order the exact same truck. So far itÂ’s been the best truck IÂ’ve ever had and IÂ’m looking forward to pulling a GDRV behind it someday. Let me know if you have any questions I can answer about the truck!
    Thanks I really appreciate the input. I keep going back and forth between gas/diesel (and an F-150 Lightning actually…different story). Seems like we think about it the same way.

It might come down to what kind of deal I can get at the time. Looking to buy before the next camping season, and give my son the Volt for his birthday. Hopefully the market will have settled down and they’ll actually be giving deals again. Right now my local dealer still has zero trucks on the lot.
    2022 Reflection 150 278BH
    2023 Silverado 2500HD Gas
    “If you like how it tows, don’t change anything.”

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My father in law and brother in law are towing heavier travel trailers with 3/4 ton gas trucks (a ford and chevy respectively) and both are very happy with their decision. If I wasn't looking at a momentum 350g, I'd probably be going with gas too and I'm still having a difficult time justifying the added expense of a diesel.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the best aspects of having a diesel is you can fuel up with the big boys in the truck lanes where there is plenty of room. An unanticipated but now thinking essential benefit of going diesel.
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's not been mentioned here is the resale of the gas vs diesel. Yes you will shell out $10k more for the diesel initially but you will get that back on resale. I have a 2016 2500 Duramax, and in the process of getting ready to sell it. A market survey of my local market shows that if my truck was a gasser, it would sell for $10-12k less than my Duramax will. And this seems to remain consistent no matter if it's a Ford, Chevy or Ram. I have owned both the 3/4 gas and diesel, and towed with both, there really is no comparison.
    2016 Chevy Silverado LT Duramax
    2022 Reflection 295RL, after owning 2 Rockwood 8289's

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get the resale argument but I usually keep my vehicles for 10 years. Granting I would get it back at resale, that’s still tying up that money for a decade.

I know gas vs diesel has been discussed to death. I didn’t intend to restart that discussion.

I’m trying to keep an open mind and I’m seeing some Ram 2500 CTDs discounted by $10k. Makes it a bit more reasonable for me. I know they have limited payload but that’s not really an issue for the 278BH that I’m currently towing with a 150.
    2022 Reflection 150 278BH
    2023 Silverado 2500HD Gas
    “If you like how it tows, don’t change anything.”

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12