User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2500HD 6.6L gas with Reflection 150 278BH.

So after many years of sticking close to home, my wife and I are starting to plan some longer trips of over 1000 miles/1600 km. I currently tow our 278BH with a 2015 F-150 5.0L, and I’m quite happy with it from the driver’s perspective. The problem is it’s a SuperCab and the kids are growing and need more room.

I’m considering a new Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 with the 6.6 gas. I figure the 2500HD gas will be comparable for towing our 10,000-lb GVWR trailer. I could be talked into a diesel but it seems like overkill. We don’t ever plan on a larger trailer. Current plan is to downsize to a smaller fifth wheel or a TT when the kids are no longer at home.

I’m interested in hearing any thoughts about the 2500HD. It will be my daily driver and I’m looking for reasonable ride comfort and daily usability. Will be taking it for daily short trips into town 5 miles away, and driving for work from 15 to 150 miles a day once or twice a week. Will probably be towing the 278BH for one long trip per year and five or six camping trips close to home (within 100 miles).
    2022 Reflection 150 278BH
    2023 Silverado 2500HD Gas
    “If you like how it tows, don’t change anything.”

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The reasons you stated are why I choose the 2500 gas truck. I don't tow "heavy" and use my truck as a daily driver to and from work (less than 10 min) so a diesel just didn't fit the bill. Most diesels like to be worked and I've read long term light/no loads is harmful? True or false I'm not sure but I love my 2500 gasser. All the comforts of a 1/2 ton, just beefed up in everyway possible. We tow a 2400bh but plan on upgrading to a 31mb if we can find one for the right price. All in all, very satisfied with this truck!!!
    2020 GMC Sierra 2500 AT4 6.6L Gasser
    2020 Imagine 2400BH

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2500HD 6.6L gas with Reflection 150 278BH.

Hi Easycamper,

I think a 3/4 ton would be a good tow vehicle for a 10k trailer. I previously had both the 3/4 gas 6.0 a and 6.6 diesel and currently have the 1 ton diesel 6.6, (2019 GMC) and my bro has the newer 6.6 gas and he loves it. His trailer is right around 8.5k so well suited. I drove his 6.6 gas and it was awesome!

At 10-11k you are getting to the upper range of capability of the 3/4 ton truck and the hitch/tongue weight, but you should be ok. Diesel for sheer pulling can’t be beat, but does need a bit more maint. If you are able to go with the diesel go for it if you can fit it into your lifestyle as a daily driver. For me my truck is not a daily driver. It also comes into play how often you tow as well the terrain you tow in. I am currently in Colorado and Utah at about 7500-9000 feet, never trade my diesel. In love it!

I ramble, bottom line the 3/4 ton should do it, but as always the diesel would be better for not much more money.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mean this in nicest way possible...... 10K more is ALOT more money! lol for me anyways. Also, when comparing 3/4 ton gasser vs diesel, the gasser is going to have more payload. Mine is about 3200 lbs. Just alittle bit of extra info
    2020 GMC Sierra 2500 AT4 6.6L Gasser
    2020 Imagine 2400BH

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the feedback. I’m getting some validation that the gas truck is a better fit for my use case. Diesel is still a possibility (never say never) but I think I’d rather put that money toward the convenience, tech and safety packages. Trying to keep this thing under $90k CAD.
    2022 Reflection 150 278BH
    2023 Silverado 2500HD Gas
    “If you like how it tows, don’t change anything.”

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Easycamper View Post
    So after many years of sticking close to home, my wife and I are starting to plan some longer trips of over 1000 miles/1600 km. I currently tow our 278BH with a 2015 F-150 5.0L, and I’m quite happy with it from the driver’s perspective. The problem is it’s a SuperCab and the kids are growing and need more room.

I’m considering a new Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 with the 6.6 gas. I figure the 2500HD gas will be comparable for towing our 10,000-lb GVWR trailer. I could be talked into a diesel but it seems like overkill. We don’t ever plan on a larger trailer. Current plan is to downsize to a smaller fifth wheel or a TT when the kids are no longer at home.

I’m interested in hearing any thoughts about the 2500HD. It will be my daily driver and I’m looking for reasonable ride comfort and daily usability. Will be taking it for daily short trips into town 5 miles away, and driving for work from 15 to 150 miles a day once or twice a week. Will probably be towing the 278BH for one long trip per year and five or six camping trips close to home (within 100 miles).
    Your analysis seems right on track. We tow a Reflection 150 series with the 2500HD and it works well. I would say that as a daily ride, to me the 2500HD is a bit stiff. Our last truck was a Silverado 1500 and the ride was much smoother, not to mention far superior gas mileage. But the 1500 was not a very good tow vehicle and I personally would not tow a 10K trailer with a 1/2 ton.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Easycamper View Post

I’ve had several 2500HDs over the years, all gas. Noticeably stiffer than the 1500s, but still good for a daily driver. I always avoided the diesel (even tho I farm) because I never wanted the hassle (fuel gelling, DEF now required, block heaters, etc), but I also never towed anything heavy at 65 or 70 mph. Now we have an approx 13k lb Solitude. The truck in my signature is not yet in, so we pulled the 310GK with a 6.0 gas 2013 2500HD from Illinois thru the flatland and rolling hills of Iowa, Minnesota, and South Dakota. It got us there and back, but it was anything but pretty. It’s not enough engine. It was exhausting having to actively drive it to help minimize tranny shifts. Here are the specs for comparison:

6.0 gas has about 360 ft lb of torque, but at a screaming 4000rpm
    6.6 gas has 464 ft lb of torque at a screaming 4000rpm
    6.6 Duramax has 910 ft lb of torque at 1600rpm (less than 1/2!)

I would consider you on the bubble with 10k lb to pull. If you aren’t going to the mountains, maybe a 6.6 would be ok. I’m pretty jaded against gas for any heavy trailer right now though, after our trip. They just don’t have much lugging power. They generate their torque spec from a screaming rpm.
    Larry and JoAnna
    ‘23 Chevy 3500HD CCLB DRW High Country 6.6L Diesel, ‘22 Solitude 310GK-R, Hensley BD5
    MORRyde 8k IS, QD8000 Genny, Dual 5kVA Quattros
    Dual SOK 48V 100ah Server Rack Batts (10kWHr)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Easycamper, IÂ’m a little late to the party here but I thought I would chime in. I have a 2022 Silverado 2500 HD LT crew cab standard bed with the 6.6 gasser, and it is a fantastic truck. I actually bought this truck with the 278bh in mind. Like you, I went back and forth between the diesel and the gasser. Ultimately, I decided that extra 10k can buy a lot of gas haha. I tow maybe 2-3 times a year currently and the rest of the time it would just be a daily so I really couldnÂ’t justify the diesel.

As a daily driver, it does really well as long as you manage your expectations. Yes it rides stiffer than a newer 1500 but honestly it rides better than my 2002 Silverado 1500 did. Gas mileage is another point to consider. It doesnÂ’t do great around town. Personally I average 10-13 around town unloaded. The highway is a different story. Cruising around 70-74, I get 17-18mpg. Most guys with these trucks agree the sweet spot for mpg is around 65mph where you get 18-19.

Recently my wife and I took a cross country trip where we rented a Forest River R-Pod 190 and towed it around 4000 miles from the Midwest to the Rockies and back. It had plenty of power and felt super stable even at 80 mph. Granted that trailer only weighs 3500lbs but we got about 10-13mpg on that trip and I wasnÂ’t complaining.

Honestly if I had it to do over again, IÂ’d order the exact same truck. So far itÂ’s been the best truck IÂ’ve ever had and IÂ’m looking forward to pulling a GDRV behind it someday. Let me know if you have any questions I can answer about the truck!

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRedHat View Post
    ... It had plenty of power and felt super stable even at 80 mph. Granted that trailer only weighs 3500lbs but we got about 10-13mpg on that trip and I wasnÂ’t complaining...
    Did you check the speed rating on the tires on the R-Pod?

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know that probably would have been smart but it was a rental and they didn’t give me a speed limit so really that’s on them. Honestly the gas mileage was noticeably worse at 80 so we didn’t do it for long. We stuck to 75 most of that trip.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast