User Tag List

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Antenna confusion

Wife and I have been 5'r campers for a year and a half now (not full time) and one thing that I have muddled my way through in understanding is the TV/cable/satellite connections in these campers.

Please bear with me as I ask or talk my way thru this.

My camper is a 2022 303RLS

The antenna on the roof is wired via a coaxial cable to an outlet for a tv in the living room AND the bedroom. The outlet in the bedroom along with an outlet by the nautilus panel has a connection for both cable AND satellite.

Ok, here's the fun part for me.....the antenna on the roof "should" work for both LR and bedroom....correct?

First, why does it tell me to move antenna to different area when nothing is above it?
    Next, what are "cable" connections for on outlets and by nautilus panel.
    Next, if you hook up a Wally box and another antenna such as a Tailgater or other antenna to outside nautilus outlet, does it override on roof antenna?
    Next, what is "cable" outlets for?

Probably things I'm forgetting to ask.

I've tried a lot of differnt things and things work, but I don't really understand.

I think the antenna on the roof lacks a lot to be desired but, I don't know any options. I've ask questions in the past, but have been confused by some of the answers.

Thanks for letting me ramble, I can build you a business jet and even a fighter jet, a dirt stock car, drag car, and even furniture or a house, but as simple (to others) as all this is....it is confusing as HECK to me.

Thanks guys and gals....I really appreciate it. We are at Palo Duro Canyon in Tx and living/living retirement. I am detail oriented and just want to get this figured out once and for all. I have been told to get rid of my roof antenna and exchange it for better....what would that be?

Thanks again for everything I've learned so much from you all.

Live long and prosper.
    Ray
    Msgt Ray (Ret) and Margie Parker
    2022 GD 303RLS w/Gen-Y gooseneck
    2020 Ram 2500 HD Cummins 6.7/3.73 gears

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Ray, this has been discussed quite a bit. It all depends on how they wired the coax inside, we have seen minor differences between even campers of the same floor plan.

I have the Reflection 315rlts and I have to run a splitter before the inputs. One line goes to lr, the other goes to aux and both br & lr work that way.

At least that is how it works on mine. Not sure why they did it that way on mine.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Antenna confusion

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5245.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	83.1 KB 
ID:	42428

Here is a Nautilus panel, as you can see the coax “inputs” on the upper right of the photo of you plan on using. Cable or Sat.

For OTA (Over the Air) all you need to do is turn on the Antenna Booster, located most of the time in a coax jack behind the living room tv . Hot the button until the little red light comes on.

Some of these antennas also have the ability to do WiFi (360+). Mine only has the 360.

Bill
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Bill....but....you run a splitter (Y) on the outside between antenna and the "two" outlets....cable/satellite?

QUOTE=Redapple63;441699]Click image for larger version. 

Here is a Nautilus panel, as you can see the coax “inputs” on the upper right of the photo of you plan on using. Cable or Sat.

For OTA (Over the Air) all you need to do is turn on the Antenna Booster, located most of the time in a coax jack behind the living room tv . Hot the button until the little red light comes on.

Some of these antennas also have the ability to do WiFi (360+). Mine only has the 360.

Bill[/QUOTE]

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rgpracer View Post
    Thanks Bill....but....you run a splitter (Y) on the outside between antenna and the "two" outlets....cable/satellite?

Bill
    My understanding is that some/many/all of the roof antenna connections go only to the main TV in the LR. So to get service in the BR, you're going to need a splitter located just before the coax goes into the main TV. To get a signal to the BR may vary depending on your model. We definitely wouldn't want to be designing jets with the same level of precision as the wiring in these trailers.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The antenna on the roof is wired via a coaxial cable to an outlet for a tv in the living room AND the bedroom. The outlet in the bedroom along with an outlet by the nautilus panel has a connection for both cable AND satellite.

Ok, here's the fun part for me.....the antenna on the roof "should" work for both LR and bedroom....correct? Yes. But you have to press the tiny button on the antenna/cable switch (not sure where that is located in you rig, on mine it is in a cabinet above the radio). The tiny, and hard to see light, should be on for antenna and off for TV. Then do a scan for channels on your TV to get the channels being received.

First, why does it tell me to move antenna to different area when nothing is above it? I'm not sure what this means... "...move antenna to different area..." Mine is fixed and can't be moved. Maybe it means aims the antenna toward the broadcast channels?

Next, what are "cable" connections for on outlets and by nautilus panel. It looks like you have 3 connections; but I can't see any labeling.
    > On mine one is labeled cable - the campground's cable plugs in there (and don't forget to switch to "cable" on the antenna/cable switch).
    > One is labeled SAT/Living Room.. that one goes to the connector somewhere near your living room TV that is labeled SAT - it's for connecting an exterior satellite antenna; and your sat receiver connects at the other end inside (near your LR TV).
    > The remaining connector on the Nautilus panel is labeled AUX/Bedroom. It goes to the AUX coax connector in the bedroom. Usually that is for another satellite antenna with a separate receiver in the bedroom.

Next, if you hook up a Wally box and another antenna such as a Tailgater or other antenna to outside nautilus outlet, does it override on roof antenna? No, it doesn't override anything. You have to connect the Tailgater to the SAT/Living Room connection and then connect your Wally to the SAT connection near your LR TV, and then the receiver is connected to your TV viaCA connections.

Next, what is "cable" outlets for? Which one's are you referring to? Inside or outside?

Probably things I'm forgetting to ask.

Ray
    I hope some of this clears up some confusion. Please note, I listed what SHOULD be the case. If it isn't then you will have to sort out which cable does where. Either hire someone or try on of these (which likely will require getting behind the Nautilus pane and inside wall plates.)
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In our vintage 303 (2014) the antenna switch is in the bedroom on the ceiling near the tv mount area. The antenna connects and works to both tvs . The road connections are a little less simple in the wet bay. Those are labled cable, livingroom and bedroom. Not sure why 3 but we rarely hook up to cable but recall the one labled cable did not work
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bill
    [/QUOTE]

Yep, that’s exactly what I do, splitter on the outside, and one coax to each. Works perfect for me.

Bill
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS