User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Black Tank Help, Clog?

Recently bought a used 311BHS that we are full timing in for a couple months. We are using lots of water each flush/post flush and only dumping when at least 2/3. Prior to leaving our last campground I emptied the front black tank which sounded normal (didn’t have the clear dump attachment on) and hooked up the flush out hose and turned her on. My only guess is that the flush out water moved a mound of crud over the exit and wouldn’t allow the flushing water out. We caught it when it reached the top of the toilet thankfully.

We checked to make sure the black tank valve was open/which it was and cycled it in and out a few times but nothing came out. We had a full black tank with no way to empty it. The previous owners took good care of the RV and gave us all the maintenance records. It had a repair in 2020 for the front black tank valve not fully closing, repair shop dropped the underbelly and fixed the issue. My thought was that maybe this issue had come back and it was stuck closed.

We ended up buying 2 bottles of Unique Tank Cleaner and put a bottle with water in the tank. Drove to our new campground and opened the black valve 30 hrs after putting it in which to my surprise opened and about 15-20 gallons of what looked like perfectly clear water came out. Thought this stuff was the greatest product ever until we tried flushing the tank again. No water coming out while being flushed. Wife dropped about 10 gallons in from the top and again nothing when the valve is opened.

We put another bottle of the tank cleaner in again and are planning on waiting 4-5 days before opening it this time. It’s really hot 95-105 degree highs so we thought maybe it’s too hot for this product.

Does anyone have any ideas on what else I can do? Past similar experiences? We are so thankful that we have a second toilet in the back of the RV that is working great. Thanks for any help you can provide!

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There may be something other than waste product blocking the exit from the black tank. Peggy once dropped a bottle down the toilet that could have caused issues, but luckily didn't. Since the problem arose after you moved, and solved itself after you moved again, I think you have something in the tank big enough to periodically block the opening. Time for a mirror, or borescope of some type to check it out.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the suggestion, we will give that a shot. Unfortunately we have a bunch of water/enzyme tank cleaner in there now to hopefully break up whatever is clogging it.

Will try to drain it again in a few days, if that doesnÂ’t work we will hook up and drive it around and try again and hopefully get a good video of what going on in the tank. Do you know GD puts their black tanks directly over the toilets? Has anyone ever had a septic company could come and suck out the tank from the top, hopefully removing whatever is causing the clog? Not sure if the opening on the toilet is large enough for their equipment, maybe remove the toilet too?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There have been known issues with the discs of plastic being left in the tank after some lazy installer drilled the vent hole and leaves it when it drops into the tank. I agree with the suggestion of scoping it once you can get it drained again. That would also assist you in seeing if the valve is working properly.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbug View Post
    There have been known issues with the discs of plastic being left in the tank after some lazy installer drilled the vent hole and leaves it when it drops into the tank. I agree with the suggestion of scoping it once you can get it drained again. That would also assist you in seeing if the valve is working properly.
    I really hope that’s not the case. It’s a 2017 so I would think that problem would have already been resolved if that’s the case, can’t be sure though. Looking at a harbor freight camera with a 36” extension, anyone know if that is enough cable to be able to see the valve?

It’s great that they put all the valves in the underbelly for 4 seasons camping but it sure makes it a bear to troubleshoot anything. We are currently at a military base fam camp in OKC, hopefully they don’t have an issue with me dropping the underbelly if it comes to that. Pretty overwhelmed with repairs at the moment since we did a drive from Alaska to Oklahoma, the alcan took a toll on our tow vehicle. Thanks again for the suggestions!

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Might be tricky but get an electricians snake and go back up the exit doing a colonoscopy of sorts. See if the snake makes it past the valve door. A lot cheaper than a camera in the turd bowl.

https://www.harborfreight.com/3-16-i...RoC-9UQAvD_BwE

Here’s the same snake for a lot more. I just like the name…..RAM PRO. Seems appropriate.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ram-Pro-3...ring/887060451
    Last edited by stroguy; 08-11-2022 at 10:01 PM.
    Randy and Kris

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sounds like a good idea too, this is the first RV we have owned where you can’t see the actual tank valves. We just have a “control center” with 3 valves centrally located. Has anyone done a snake thru the exit before on this type of system? Would think it would work well if I could get it to the correct valve, probably a messy job once the clog breaks

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want video of when you feel that valve door open and you punch a hole in the clog……..PLEASE?

https://www.harborfreight.com/white-...xoCUH8QAvD_BwE

I think a bright light will get you in the passage you seek.
    Randy and Kris

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought one of these four years ago and can't tell you how many times it has come in handy. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Great for looking behind walls, engine compartments for dropped bolt, etc. Could also use it to look up your RV's rear (so to speak). If you can get the tank to drain again and flush it well, you could go up from the exterior to see the valve working or any foreign item that might be causing the problem. Otherwise, I'd go in from the toilet if necessary. Either way, have some bleach wipes handy.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The borescope would be a good diagnostic tool, but if there is a piece of plastic debris or if the valve is stuck closed, I think you could just use something rigid/flexible like the electrician's device for pulling wire. If you can push this up through the correct drain pipe you can feel the blockage. If the tank has stuff in it, and you can move the blockage a little, it's going to start flowing out. If you feel a blockage and cannot move it, it's probably the valve blade.

https://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-5...0313445&sr=8-2

Can you drop just a little of the underbelly covering to see how the drain pip is oriented?
    Last edited by dryfly; 08-12-2022 at 08:14 AM.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast