User Tag List

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slide drifting open while in storage?

My storage guy just called me to tell my slide has drifted open after being there 2 weeks ago. Batteries disconnected, level side to side.
    When o picked up the trailer I noticed it had drifted open a foot.
    Dealer told me I’m low on oil???
    Has anyone had this happen?

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You've got a problem with the slide pressure bleeding down and allowing the slide to creep out. Could be a valve is leaking, a seal on one of the hydraulic pistons, or something similar. Some of these slides come in top first towards the end of the stroke, so if pressure bleeds off the bottom can move out.

I suppose if the fluid level got down enough to pump air into the system, it could cause something like this, so I'd check the level, but just a slightly low level shouldn't cause this.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I looked at the pump, hoses etc. I don’t see and oil anywhere! I’ll pick up some oil and fill it up.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by overkill19 View Post
    I looked at the pump, hoses etc. I don’t see and oil anywhere! I’ll pick up some oil and fill it up.
    DO NOT FILL IT UP if the slide or slides are out....AND/OR the legs are down...any of the legs, including the landing gear up front. The ONLY way to check the oil level is all the hydraulic slides are completely retracted (pulled all the way in) AND ALL hydraulic leg are retracted (legs up). Run the slides in, and hook up to the truck, then raise all the legs, just like it would be when you are travelling.....Then look and see where the oil level is at in the res. tank. I seriously doubt that you are low on oil. It's likely that a hydraulic valve is allowing pressurized oil to leak past/through it (the valve itself) instead of blocking it. If you try to fill the res. tank with a slide open, even partially open and/or the legs down, you will cause the res. tank to overflow when you run the slides back in and raise the legs.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The hydraulic line connects to the slide ram in the underbelly. If you are leaking oil there you most likely wouldnt see it unless you dropped the coroplast.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I retracted everything and I was down maybe a litre.
    Stroked everything in and out a bunch of times.
    I lubed all the legs while I was at it. Which quoted everything down a lot.

Ya I saw where the ram is underneath, I’m going to leave it a week and see if it drifts out again. Before I go ripping the under belly off.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    DO NOT FILL IT UP if the slide or slides are out....AND/OR the legs are down...any of the legs, including the landing gear up front. The ONLY way to check the oil level is all the hydraulic slides are completely retracted (pulled all the way in) AND ALL hydraulic leg are retracted (legs up). Run the slides in, and hook up to the truck, then raise all the legs, just like it would be when you are travelling.....Then look and see where the oil level is at in the res. tank. I seriously doubt that you are low on oil. It's likely that a hydraulic valve is allowing pressurized oil to leak past/through it (the valve itself) instead of blocking it. If you try to fill the res. tank with a slide open, even partially open and/or the legs down, you will cause the res. tank to overflow when you run the slides back in and raise the legs.
    Ya i was down a bit. But I agree I don’t think it’s a oil level issue but in the troubleshooting manual it does say level can cause this. But id think you would have to be really low. I peaked under the under belly as best I could with a flashlight and I didn’t see any oil but it was not easy to see under there without taking stuff apart. Next time I’ll have to see if I can figure out which valve does the slide and see if I can test it or replace it.