User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the info everyone! Live and learn. Going to have to ration data or pay a premium price. Ugh!

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundsailor View Post
    So if you have unlimited on the phone and want to stream movies, consider a Chromecast or similar device with which one can "cast" the content from their phone to the TV screen.
    TBH, we haven't done much streaming at all. I have a 5TB HDD hooked to the USB port in the TV. But with the new plans we have free Netflix, Disney, Hulu, and more so not sure how this is going to work out.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take a look at TownBroadBand.com. Been using the AT&T unlimited plan for about 3 mos. Anywhere from 20 to 50 Mb download speed using Ookla, Fast.com, and SpeedofMe. Averaging 200 to 250 Gig per month. I'm not using the Wineguard router, using a Mofi router. When not on the road, we use it in our home. It's faster than the local internet provider.
    Ken & Tammy
    Union Valley, TX
    2021 GD Reflection 303RLS 5th Wheel
    2019 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4x4

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're using an Amazon Firestick, unplug it after use. I left mine plugged in and it burned through data while not in use. Not exactly sure why, maybe the pictures changing on the home screen?

I tried to start remembering to unplug it and that didn't work. Cost me a bunch of money in data, so I bought an Nvidia Shield and now use that for all streaming. It's expensive, but if I forget to turn the Firestick off again and cap out data, it's basically paid for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundsailor View Post
    Six gigs does seem like a lot for a movie, I'm assuming it was streamed? There are network tools like Wireshark that can help you understand where the traffic on your network is originating from. Besides the TV, what other devices have you connected to the Winegard?
    I made sure nothing else was logged in except for the TV. The only thing I can figure out is ROKU has a "live TV" option that gets broadcast networks from all over. Even if we don't watch them, I think it runs in the background? That and any updates the TV might be doing behind the scenes. I was really excited about having internet anywhere. I didn't know I was going to have to monitor usage I can't control.
    2022 376THS-R w/B&W Companion 25K puck hitch
    MORryde 3 axle 7K IS w/disk brakes
    2021 GMC 3500 Denali DRW
    2014 HD CVO Limited

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have iPhones, go to Settings/Cellular. Scroll all the way down to the bottom and click "Reset Statistics". That will reset all of the usages to zero. Over the course of a week or two, you'll see where it is going.

Do it on both phones. You should be able find out if it is you, your wife, or both of you.
    Last edited by hartcentr; 08-24-2022 at 05:18 PM.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a little travel router/firewall that i connect to my hotspot and connect the roku/firestick to that. The router has the ability to bandwidth limit by device and i set my tvs to just 750kb/s. This is around 350 megabytes per hour. The shows are all still very watchable at this rate, you can tell the difference if you are looking for it but for us its fine.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12