User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where is all my mobile data going?

So, I installed the winegard gateway on our 360+ and we have AT&T mobile data. The only plan available was 15 gigs per month for $25 adding 2 gigs for $10 when we burn through the 15. We're traveling and went through 15+ the first 3 days! Billing cycle started yesterday, so a clean slate. Campsite we stayed for the night has no wifi so I connected the TV and we watched a movie. It burned through 6 gigs! This morning it went through another 200 MB and I didn't have anything connected! I turned it off until I can figure out where the data is going? Will a Roku TV really eat that much? System is password protected so no one is stealing I think? Anyone have knowledge on data usage for the TV or how to minimize? Also, any good unlimited plans out there for the winegard gateway? Thanks
    -Mike
    2022 376THS-R w/B&W Companion 25K puck hitch
    MORryde 3 axle 7K IS w/disk brakes
    2021 GMC 3500 Denali DRW
    2014 HD CVO Limited

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sauced Hog View Post
    So, I installed the winegard gateway on our 360+ and we have AT&T mobile data. The only plan available was 15 gigs per month for $25 adding 2 gigs for $10 when we burn through the 15. We're traveling and went through 15+ the first 3 days! Billing cycle started yesterday, so a clean slate. Campsite we stayed for the night has no wifi so I connected the TV and we watched a movie. It burned through 6 gigs! This morning it went through another 200 MB and I didn't have anything connected! I turned it off until I can figure out where the data is going? Will a Roku TV really eat that much? System is password protected so no one is stealing I think? Anyone have knowledge on data usage for the TV or how to minimize? Also, any good unlimited plans out there for the winegard gateway? Thanks
    -Mike
    Six gigs does seem like a lot for a movie, I'm assuming it was streamed? There are network tools like Wireshark that can help you understand where the traffic on your network is originating from. Besides the TV, what other devices have you connected to the Winegard?
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Video and gameplay can eat through data pretty fast also if you have a laptop set to auto update that can add to data use. I don't think anyone offers a true unlimited plan any more.

Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Streaming HD video can eat up to 3GB per hour. There's no way I would try streaming with a 15GB plan. This link is to a VZW calculator - but it applies no matter who your carrier is. Playing around with it can be an eye opener.

https://www.verizon.com/freedom/datacalculator.html

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some device will also check for updates and such in the back which will chew up some data. That could explain the 200mb
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watching TV at 1080p resolution can use about 3GB per hour. If you watch at 4k resolution, it's easily double that. How many connected devices do you have in the RV? Phones, tablets, computers, Alexa, cameras etc... All of these can potentially use data.
    2021 Momentum 395MS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We were also previously on At&t for 20 year with a very limited plan until we bought the RV last year and started traveling. Quickly realized how much data a person can go through. We ended up switching to the T-mobile magenta plan for our phones which we can hotspot to. That was less per month than At&t and they pay for our Netflix account. That gives each of our phones 40gb high speed and then unlimited but throttled (which is still usable but noticeable). And we still burn through it within a couple of weeks. So before we hit the road again, we'll be getting a TravelData plan and router which does provide unlimited unthrottled plans with T-mobile. We've been very happy with the coverage so far. Anyway, just to say that there are higher and cheaper data plans out there if you decide to look.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We upped our Verizon plan (and lowered cost) after they finally gave DW her military discount - that took a year - but we also signed up for the Magenta Max T-Mobile plan with the DW going back to work remote part-time. Will be on the road almost 90 days this season.

But I also learned that data isn't always data. When the carriers say you get unlimited or XGB of data, that is not hotspot use - merely what you do on your phone. So if you want to stream to your phone and your plan has 'unlimited' data, no problem right? But if you want to use your phone as a hotspot and stream to another device, basic plans offer small amounts or none. Hotspot data is an add-on cost for a phone and easy to burn through. So, for example, we bumped our T-Mobile plan from basic Magenta 55+ to Magenta Max 55+. That raised our hotspot data allowance from 5GB to 40GB though both had 'unlimited' data. VZ did the same.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    We upped our Verizon plan (and lowered cost) after they finally gave DW her military discount - that took a year - but we also signed up for the Magenta Max T-Mobile plan with the DW going back to work remote part-time. Will be on the road almost 90 days this season.

But I also learned that data isn't always data. When the carriers say you get unlimited or XGB of data, that is not hotspot use - merely what you do on your phone. So if you want to stream to your phone and your plan has 'unlimited' data, no problem right? But if you want to use your phone as a hotspot and stream to another device, basic plans offer small amounts or none. Hotspot data is an add-on cost for a phone and easy to burn through. So, for example, we bumped our T-Mobile plan from basic Magenta 55+ to Magenta Max 55+. That raised our hotspot data allowance from 5GB to 40GB though both had 'unlimited' data. VZ did the same.
    So if you have unlimited on the phone and want to stream movies, consider a Chromecast or similar device with which one can "cast" the content from their phone to the TV screen.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundsailor View Post
    Six gigs does seem like a lot for a movie, I'm assuming it was streamed? There are network tools like Wireshark that can help you understand where the traffic on your network is originating from. Besides the TV, what other devices have you connected to the Winegard?
    Nothing else connected. The TV wasn't even turned on this morning. I know streaming can eat data, but WOW!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast