User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need help upgrading/future planning…basic wiring

Hi all, first post here!
    Until now, I’ve always had motor homes. The last being a Class A Winnebago INTENT 26m, with residential fridge. I added 400w of Renogy panels (series/parallel) and a Victron 100/30 controller, and 2-6v batteries (215ah) that all worked great for Southern CA sunshine.

Now we’re living in the Pacific Northwest with a lot of trees and foggy coastline, and have a 2022 Imagine 22MLE. It has the 12v fridge, Furrion 25amp MPPT, a single 165w mono panel, stock WFCO 35 amp charger (Lithium auto-detect) and a marine battery.
    Obviously, the fridge is going to wipe out all power in a matter of hours while off-grid.

I have one SOK 206ah battery (probably will go ahead and get a 2nd) and a Victron BMV-712 monitor sitting in the garage to help remedy the problem.

Also, while off-grid, I have a Champion 2500w generator running on propane to run the AC, and to help charge the battery when the solar power is weak. AC is a Dometic Brisk Air II with a Micro-Air Easy Start kit. NOTE: I hate generators! so it will only be used if absolutely necessary.

Right now I’m only upgrading and moving the batteries to the dinette area.
    So, my question is regarding battery wiring. I don’t know why, but the trailer is confusing me, where the motor homes seemed more straight forward.
    >What size wire to connect the batteries in parallel?
    >What size wire to run from the batteries back to the factory 30 amp breaker switch at the tongue? Is 6 awg good?
    >The batteries can be charged at a rate of 40 amps, so my stock charger at 35 should be fine, right? (Assuming it charges properly) I’ve attached the specs for the charger.
    >Or should I just plan on upgrading that now too? Suggestions?

I won’t be disrupting anything else at this point….unless you think I’m missing something. ???

The next stage will be to scrap the Furrion solar stuff, and do similar to what I did on the motor home. To keep runs short I’m thinking of dropping the solar wiring down through the closet, near the factory converter/charger. Then put a new solar controller in the same area, keeping a short run to the batteries. Probably add a 1000w inverter and Xantrex ATS to watch TV on battery power.

Thank you for all your insight.

-Robb
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FE2154CF-4FDF-43E7-BC16-6A5C41F5F107.jpeg  
    Last edited by Y GO HOM; 08-12-2022 at 10:50 PM.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2022 F150 4x4, 3.5 Ecoboost, SCrew, short bed, 1831 payload w/MAX tow pkg.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe I should start by asking… what exactly is going on in the junction box on the tongue?

I know it’s for the 7-pin cord, and supplies power to the jack and emergency brake.

I assume that the solar controller ties in there too.

I’m confused by the 10awg to the battery. Why so small?

Should it be moved along with the batteries near the power center?

Anybody have a wire diagram? I read GD won’t give one out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails D5BFBA68-E208-4C53-85D1-1F1571CA5328.jpg  
    Last edited by Y GO HOM; 08-12-2022 at 11:10 PM.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Y GO HOM View Post
    Hi all, first post here!
    Until now, I’ve always had motor homes. The last being a Class A Winnebago INTENT 26m, with residential fridge. I added 400w of Renogy panels (series/parallel) and a Victron 100/30 controller, and 2-6v batteries (215ah) that all worked great for Southern CA sunshine.

Now we’re living in the Pacific Northwest with a lot of trees and foggy coastline, and have a 2022 Imagine 22MLE. It has the 12v fridge, Furrion 25amp MPPT, a single 165w mono panel, stock WFCO 35 amp charger (Lithium auto-detect) and a marine battery.
    Obviously, the fridge is going to wipe out all power in a matter of hours while off-grid.

I have one SOK 206ah battery (probably will go ahead and get a 2nd) and a Victron BMV-712 monitor sitting in the garage to help remedy the problem.

Also, while off-grid, I have a Champion 2500w generator running on propane to run the AC, and to help charge the battery when the solar power is weak. AC is a Dometic Brisk Air II with a Micro-Air Easy Start kit. NOTE: I hate generators! so it will only be used if absolutely necessary.

Right now I’m only upgrading and moving the batteries to the dinette area.
    So, my question is regarding battery wiring. I don’t know why, but the trailer is confusing me, where the motor homes seemed more straight forward.
    >What size wire to connect the batteries in parallel?
    >What size wire to run from the batteries back to the factory 30 amp breaker switch at the tongue? Is 6 awg good?
    >The batteries can be charged at a rate of 40 amps, so my stock charger at 35 should be fine, right? (Assuming it charges properly) I’ve attached the specs for the charger.
    >Or should I just plan on upgrading that now too? Suggestions?

I won’t be disrupting anything else at this point….unless you think I’m missing something. ???

The next stage will be to scrap the Furrion solar stuff, and do similar to what I did on the motor home. To keep runs short I’m thinking of dropping the solar wiring down through the closet, near the factory converter/charger. Then put a new solar controller in the same area, keeping a short run to the batteries. Probably add a 1000w inverter and Xantrex ATS to watch TV on battery power.

Thank you for all your insight.

-Robb

First, you are being smart, in that, you are looking to design your system before you start to build it. Many people add parts and don't have a "Master Plan" to guide them along the way to their ultimate system.

I would recommend you read the post "Installing Your Solar System in Phases", link below:

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...356#post406356

Next, the start of any good "Master Plan" is to define your camping style, Do you want to boondock? If so, for how many days in a row? Do you travel in an area where you would want to run your Air Conditioner for a few hours? Answers to these questions will guide every decision you make regarding your system. For example: you ask about the size of cabling to use between your batteries...
    If you don't plan on installing an Inverter large enough to run an Air Conditioner (or even install an Inverter at all), you could probably get by using the same size cabling between your batteries as your existing wires that feed the coach. On the other hand, if you plan on installing a 2,000 OR 3,000 Watt Inverter, then you might want to install 4/00 (4 ought) cables now, so you won't need to upgrade them in the future.

One thing to keep in mind when you are working with these Lithium batteries is that they can kick out a lot of energy in a very short time, so, you want to make certain that you install an appropriately sized fuse very close to the batteries (US Coast Guard requires fuses to be placed within 6 inches of the battery bank).

In the PNW you are going to have some issues with getting enough Solar to keep your battery bank charged, consequently, I would recommend installing as much Solar Wattage as you can fit on your roof. I would also recommend you use Residential Solar panels as opposed to panels like the Renogy panels you used on your previous coach. Residential Solar panels are more efficient and cost less on a dollars per Watt basis than panels like the Renogy, Newpowa, or Furrion panels that are often used in RV Solar installations.

Regarding your 35 amp Converter...

The existing Converter is probably okay for your single SOK battery, however, if you add a second SOK battery, your battery bank will have over 400 amp hours of energy storage. Recharging a 400ah battery bank is asking a lot out of a 35 amp Converter, especially, when you are trying to recharge your batteries with your Generator (it's going to take quite a few hours to get 400ah out of your 35 amp Converter). Initially, you can get by with your existing Converter, however, I would plan on upgrading it before you plan on any long boondocking stays. FYI, I would recommend the Progressive Dynamics line of converters for a replacement.

Here is another area where having a "Master Plan" will benefit you. If you plan on eventually being able to run your Air Conditioner with your system, you will want to avoid replacing the Converter and design your system to charge from your Inverter/Charger.

By-the-way, since you have already been introduced to the Victron Solar Charge Controller, I would recommend you consider staying with Victron devices.

Since you are going to be installing a second battery soon, I would recommend you read the post "Why You Should Use Buss Bars for Your Multi Battery Install". This post will help you with planning for your "Ultimate System", whichever form that takes.

Link below:

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...184#post442184
    Last edited by SolarPoweredRV; 08-13-2022 at 12:16 PM.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the group and the 22mle gang. I eventually plan on doing similar to what you are planning. Another member with a 22mle also used the empty space under the dinette bench and pantry. I was planning on building my own batteries but I've been to busy. Eventually I'll get around to it. Those SOK however are really interesting. Im also planning on eventually installing Victron Multiplus under there. Please keep us posted with your mode as you progress.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply. I should add that if we had the 2-way propane fridge, none of this would be an issue for our camping style. It was never an issue in 15 yrs before getting a residential fridge. That’s when things changed, and boondocking went away entirely…until I added solar and 2 GC batteries. We have no interest in the large systems allowing the use of the AC, microwave, coffee makers, etc. Just run the damn fridge!

We would like to occasionally boondock, but only for 2-3 days, 4 at most. I just want to be sure that we’re covered and not going to deplete too soon. Nothing makes camping more stressful than running out of power or a full black tank!

We would also like to charge phones and watch TV at night on an inverter, but that’s all the power we would need. So a small inverter to 1 receptacle would be fine, but in this trailer as I understand it, all the receptacles are on 1 circuit.

About the 35 amp charger…
    If the SOK battery wants to be charged <40 amps, how does adding a 2nd battery become less efficient? Do the charging dynamics change, and would an 80 amp charger be more appropriate for 2?

Regarding wiring size, and the junction box on the tongue…
    I think what’s confusing me is, a motor home uses the normal large battery cables to each other, and to the power center, while a much smaller wire from the alternator is added for charging while driving. The solar also dumps directly from the controller to the batteries.

This trailer only has maybe a #10 connected to the batteries. Nothing else. I know the battery’s role is the same as in the motor home, but I’m not seeing it. How does the solar charge the batteries, when it seems the batteries are upstream? Solar powers the batteries and the power center at the same time?

I’m a metal fabricator and very mechanical, have restored many cars and can do pretty much anything…except understand electricity!

Please help me pull my head out of my…

-Robb

Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    First, you are being smart, in that, you are looking to design your system before you start to build it. Many people add parts and don't have a "Master Plan" to guide them along the way to their ultimate system.

I would recommend you read the post "Installing Your Solar System in Phases" (use this term in the search bar above).

Next, the start of any good "Master Plan" is to define your camping style,
    Do you want to boondock? If so, for how many days in a row?
    Do you travel in an area where you would want to run your Air Conditioner for a few hours?
    Answers to these questions will guide every decision you make regarding your system. For example: you ask about the size of cabling to use between your batteries...
    If you don't plan on installing an Inverter large enough to run an Air Conditioner (or even install an Inverter at all), you could probably get by using the same size cabling between your batteries as your existing wires that feed the coach. On the other hand, if you plan on installing a 2,000 OR 3,000 Watt Inverter, then you might want to install 4/00 (4 ought) cables now, so you won't need to upgrade them in the future.

One thing to keep in mind when you are working with these Lithium batteries is that they can kick out a lot of energy in a very short time, so, you want to make certain that you install an appropriately sized fuse very close to the batteries (US Coast Guard requires fuses to be placed within 6 inches of the battery bank).

In the PNW you are going to have some issues with getting enough Solar to keep your battery bank charged, consequently, I would recommend installing as much Solar Wattage as you can fit on your roof. I would also recommend you use Residential Solar panels as opposed to panels like the Renogy panels you used on your previous coach. Residential Solar panels are more efficient and cost less on a dollars per Watt basis than panels like the Renogy, Newpowa, or Furrion panels that are often used in RV Solar installations.

Regarding your 35 amp Converter...

The existing Converter is probably okay for your single SOK battery, however, if you add a second SOK battery, your battery bank will have over 400 amp hours of energy storage. Recharging a 400ah battery bank is asking a lot out of a 35 amp Converter, especially, when you are trying to recharge your batteries with your Generator (it's going to take quite a few hours to get 400ah out of your 35 amp Converter). Initially, you can get by with your existing Converter, however, I would plan on upgrading it before you plan on any long boondocking stays. FYI, I would recommend the Progressive Dynamics line of converters for a replacement.

Here is another area where having a "Master Plan" will benefit you. If you plan on eventually being able to run your Air Conditioner with your system, you will want to avoid replacing the Converter and design your system to charge from your Inverter/Charger.

By-the-way, since you have already been introduced to the Victron Solar Charge Controller, I would recommend you consider staying with Victron devices.

Since you are going to be installing a second battery soon, I would recommend you read the post "Why You Should Use Buss Bars for Your Multi Battery Install". This post will help you with your planning for your "Ultimate System", whichever form that takes.
    Last edited by Y GO HOM; 08-13-2022 at 10:22 AM.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply. I should add that if we had the 2-way propane fridge, none of this would be an issue for our camping style. It was never an issue in 15 yrs before getting a residential fridge. That’s when things changed, and boondocking went away entirely…until I added solar and 2 GC batteries. We have no interest in the large systems allowing the use of the AC, microwave, coffee makers, etc. Just run the damn fridge!

We would like to occasionally boondock, but only for 2-3 days, 4 at most. I just want to be sure that we’re covered and not going to deplete too soon. Nothing makes camping more stressful than running out of power or a full black tank!

We would also like to charge phones and watch TV at night on an inverter, but that’s all the power we would need. So a small inverter to 1 receptacle would be fine, but in this trailer as I understand it, all the receptacles are on 1 circuit.

About the 35 amp charger…
    If the SOK battery wants to be charged <40 amps, how does adding a 2nd battery become less efficient? Do the charging dynamics change, and would an 80 amp charger be more appropriate for 2?

Regarding wiring size, and the junction box on the tongue…
    I think what’s confusing me is, a motor home uses the normal large battery cables to each other, and to the power center, while a much smaller wire from the alternator is added for charging while driving. The solar also dumps directly from the controller to the batteries.

This trailer only has maybe a #10 connected to the batteries. Nothing else. I know the battery’s role is the same as in the motor home, but I’m not seeing it. How does the solar charge the batteries, when it seems the batteries are upstream? Solar powers the batteries and the power center at the same time?

I’m a metal fabricator and very mechanical, have restored many cars and can do pretty much anything…except understand electricity!

Please help me pull my head out of my…

-Robb

Let me start by trying to minimize some of your confusion...

The reason travel trailers use smaller cables from the batteries is because the wires are more closely matched to the actual amperage drawn from the battery i.e.: you have a 35 amp Converter and that is enough energy to run your whole coach. The reason Motorhomes use the thicker cables is because you can use your house batteries to assist in starting your engine if the engine compartment batteries are dead.

Now that you have defined your requirements more precisely (boondocking for up to 4 days) we can start looking at options that will meet your specific needs.

Since you already have a Solar system installed on your coach, I would recommend you just add enough batteries to get you through 4 days of boondocking. This will be the easiest way to meet your requirements, especially, since you don't want to run an A/C unit.

To run your entertainment center you could easily add a 1,000 Watt, Pure Sine Wave, Inverter and wire it to a newly installed outlet near your TV/Entertainment Center. When adding your Inverter you will want to ensure that your cable size is increased to handle the increased load placed on the battery bank. By-the-way, you want to place your Inverter as close as practical to your battery bank to reduce energy losses in the cabling.

I would suggest after you install your second SOK battery that you take your camper to a campsite with an electric hookup and not plug in your camper to shore power and test exactly how many days you can "Pretend Boondock" with your two SOK batteries, realizing that your Solar panel will be adding energy back into your batteries and that the Solar conditions when you are Boondocking (for real) might be less favorable and might shorten your Boondocking days (unless you bring along your Generator). This experiment will let you know if you need a third SOK battery to extend your Boondocking days to 4 (my guess; two batteries can get you to three days, but not to four days).

When you add your Inverter, I would suggest you run the experiment again to see if you need a fourth SOK battery.

Additionally, to make expanding your battery bank easier, I would recommend installing your batteries using the Buss Barr method shown in the posted link above.

Regarding your 35 amp Converter, you can keep the original Converter if you can plug in the coach after your Boondocking trips long enough to charge your battery bank. Otherwise, I would recommend upgrading the Converter to at least 90 amps (100 amps would be OK too) for two or more batteries. Note: the max charge current for the 206ah SOK battery is 50 amps (so a 90 amp Converter would work well). You might also need to increase the wire size between the Converter and the battery bank.

Regarding your question about how the Solar Charge Controller actually charges the battery...

The Solar Charge Controller only needs to be connected to the 12v battery line anywhere there is a direct route to the battery. Often, the output from the Solar Charge Controller is connected directly to the battery (or to a Buss Bar close to the battery), however, if it is easier to connect the Solar Charge Controller into the "Power Center", that is a perfectly acceptable method to use, as long as there is a direct connection to the battery.

When it comes to charging phones and tablets, it is better to charge directly from the 12v system instead of charging from the Inverter because of the inefficiencies of converting voltages from 12v to 120v and then back down to 5v for the USB plugs.

Let us know how everything turns out.

Edit note: I went to my first post and added links to the posts:

"Installing a Solar System in Phases"

"Why Using Buss Bars is Better for Multi Battery Installations"
    Last edited by SolarPoweredRV; 08-13-2022 at 12:18 PM.
    David and Peggy
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is all so helpful. Thank you!

I’m going to slow my roll and try out the single battery and solar next weekend. The trailer stays at my house in partial sun, so it would be a good test. I have a 50 amp receptacle that I connect with a 30 amp adapter for cooling the fridge before a trip, and recharging after.
    Do you have a recommendation for the combo inverter/charger, for when, not if, I add the 2nd battery?
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have a recommendation for the combo inverter/charger, for when, not if, I add the 2nd battery?
    Most battery manufacturers recommend against adding a "new" battery to an "old" battery because the "old" one has degraded. I have heard anecdotally that one year is when they consider batteries "old". Take this with a grain of salt. SOK has a presence on Facebook so you could check there.
    I just added a new SOK 206 to go with our 10 month old SOK 206 with no issues, but have not taken the trailer out camping yet so.....
    As for the inverter, Victron is usually considered the gold standard, but you do have to pay a fair amount more for their equipment.
    Good luck with the project.
    2021 Imagine XLS 22RBE
    2021 Ram 2500 Hemi, Crew Cab Short Bed
    2-206 AH SOK Batteries, Victron MultiPlus 3000VA Inverter, 800 watts solar

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alias100 View Post
    Most battery manufacturers recommend against adding a "new" battery to an "old" battery because the "old" one has degraded. I have heard anecdotally that one year is when they consider batteries "old". Take this with a grain of salt. SOK has a presence on Facebook so you could check there.
    I just added a new SOK 206 to go with our 10 month old SOK 206 with no issues, but have not taken the trailer out camping yet so.....
    As for the inverter, Victron is usually considered the gold standard, but you do have to pay a fair amount more for their equipment.
    Good luck with the project.
    Adding a New battery to an Old battery holds true for Lead Acid batteries, not Lithium batteries (LiFePo4). The reason you can add a Lithium battery to your battery bank anytime you want to is because each battery has it's own Battery Management System (BMS) that internally controls the charging for each battery. Consequently, additional LiFePo4 batteries can be added to a LiFePo4 battery bank at any time.

With Lead Acid batteries the weakest battery controls charging and discharging for the entire battery bank.
    David and Peggy
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is all so helpful. Thank you!

I’m going to slow my roll and try out the single battery and solar next weekend. The trailer stays at my house in partial sun, so it would be a good test. I have a 50 amp receptacle that I connect with a 30 amp adapter for cooling the fridge before a trip, and recharging after.
    My recommendation would be stay with Victron. Victron has a new 2000 Watt Inverter/Charger Model number: Victron Energy PMP122200100 MultiPlus 12/2000/80-50 120V VE.Bus (NEW MODEL) that you might look into.

Here is a link to it on the PKYS website which is where I bought all my Victron equipment from:

https://shop.pkys.com/pmp122200100

You could also consider upgrading the Converter to 90 amps when you add the second battery and just installing a straight Inverter, because your Inverter requirements are minimal, this combination might be easier on the wallet.

Personally, I would go with the new Victron model.
    David and Peggy
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast