User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New to RV'ing. Theater Seats vs. tri-fold sofa in our 2500rl

Hi all,

My wife and I are purchasing a new Imagine 2500rl. This will be our first travel trailer and we can't decide between the theater seats sofa that is currently in our trailer or having it swapped out for the tri-fold sofa. The dealer has agreed to swap them at no cost. The dealer we are purchasing from is 2 1/2 hours away so we've never sat in or on the theater seat sofa. The closest GD dealer to us only had a 2600RB with a tri-fold sofa which was comfortable. We aren't sure how comfortable the theater seats would be as a couch. Most of the time it will be just us and 2 of our dogs but we like the idea of having more sleeping capacity, just in case. Should we stick with the theater seat sofa or make the switch? We are really worried that we'll make the wrong choice. Any help would be appreciated!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Zippy,
    The theater seats are great for sitting. You mentioned that more sleeping capacity is important, the tri fold sofa is better for that. Unless you would want to sleep on a theater seat I would recommend getting the sofa. It all comes down to what you value more and what you think you would utilize more.
    Dan, Marcia, Emilee, Tanner, Zac
    2020 Chevy 3500 HD Crew 6.6L Duramax
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 303 RLS

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I second what he said ^^ We have the theater seat and the are comfy. They almost go flat. Some members have reported guess sleeping on them. Personally I wouldn't. If extra sleeping space is important to you then maybe the couch is the better choice. I've never sat or slept on one so I can't comment on it.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan the man View Post
    Zippy,
    The theater seats are great for sitting. You mentioned that more sleeping capacity is important, the tri fold sofa is better for that. Unless you would want to sleep on a theater seat I would recommend getting the sofa. It all comes down to what you value more and what you think you would utilize more.
    Thanks Dan! We figure 95% of the time we wouldn't need the extra sleeping but you never know. Do you know if the theater seat sofa is comfortable to lay on? My anxiety is so bad about making this decision, we are debating driving the 2 1/2 hours to check out the theater seats. lol.

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buy what's good for you, not the guests that aren't there or who will be there not very often.. There are always air mattresses you can utilize. Our old fold out couch was so uncomfortable no one wanted to sleep on it a 2nd time and requested an airmattress. We now have the newer couch but no one been on it yet. We got it because there is a little space underneath that we use for storage of an extra bag of dog food while road tripping , quilting fabric , about mattress with extra linens in case some one does want to sleep on it or th mattress
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zippy2212 View Post
    Thanks Dan! We figure 95% of the time we wouldn't need the extra sleeping but you never know. Do you know if the theater seat sofa is comfortable to lay on? My anxiety is so bad about making this decision, we are debating driving the 2 1/2 hours to check out the theater seats. lol.
    Hey @zippy2212, welcome to the forum. So sorry to hear this decision is difficult for you. We have the theater seats and they are very comfortable. As Whittleburner said if you need extra sleeping room get an air mattress.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 15 year old son likes sleeping on the theater seat. I would assume if your guest is younger they would not mind it but if they are older they most likely would mind it more.
    Dan, Marcia, Emilee, Tanner, Zac
    2020 Chevy 3500 HD Crew 6.6L Duramax
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 303 RLS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone. We appreciate all the advice. We decided to stick with the theater seats. Figure they will be the more comfortable option for us and the dogs on the regular and if anyone else starts coming to stay, we'll worry about that then. We can't wait to get our 2500rl and start camping!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My vote goes to theater recliners.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it’s only an occasional guest, don’t forget the dinette! Our 2021 2500RL has theater seats, and we take our 13 YO daughter most of the time. She sleeps on the dinette.

To keep the cushions in place, we use a couple sheets of the non-slip rubbery mat stuff that we put in the cupboards. Without that, the cushions slip out and onto the floor…

If we need another spot to sleep, it’s an air mattress on the floor. We’ve got one, but haven’t used it yet in the 15 months we’ve had the TT.