User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Inverter question

Has anyone installed an inverter, not attached to solar, that will run the TV or power a plug-in to charge devices?
    2021 RBE

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many do. The inverter actually runs off the battery.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you decide to install an inverter, do your research. If you have a single lead-acid battery, it won't power much for long without recharging. Many who install inverters upgrade to a couple of lithium batteries and come up with some way to recharge the batteries - either solar or a generator. Remember, without a charged battery, you have no furnace or control voltage for the water heater or refrigerator (or the fridge altogether if it's a 12VDC compressor model).

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoperoberts View Post
    Has anyone installed an inverter, not attached to solar, that will run the TV or power a plug-in to charge devices?
    2021 RBE
    Yes, from your description it sounds like you're looking for only basic power, not the whole trailer. One can get a small inverter fairly inexpensively, a pure sine wave inverter (like this one https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07KQ4Q2L5) costs under $50 and will easily power your TV and charge your phone. I'd suggest installing a 12-volt receptacle (like this one https://smile.amazon.com/Cigarette-M.../dp/B07H1MGWFN) where you can plug in the inverter. You could wire the receptacle to an unused port on your 12-volt panel. You'd probably need an extension cord to get the power to the TV.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I installed an SAE plug under electrical panel and then plug inverter into that. Allows us to watch tv when boondocking.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211016_062002.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	89.6 KB 
ID:	42497
    2022 Momentum 21G
    300ah LiFePo4, 525 watt solar
    2015 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So you see there are many “levels” of inverter use.
    A good low priced wired to your batteries can provide two 110 outlets to plug into.

One the other hand you can go hi tech and get an inverter charger which will power EVERY outlet in the trailer

Which ever option you will need an upgrade in your batteries and an insured way to charge them

We went the high tech route with a Victron Multiplex 3000 and can use all of our outlets when boondocking. Also we have 600 watts in solar and 300 amp hours in lithium batteries
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2021 RBE
    For just running a TV or small appliance, you may want to consider a small solar generator, (rechargeable battery pack with inverter). These can be had for under $200 and will run a small TV for hours. They are very limited compared to a full solar battery package in an RV. But also cost thousands less. I started with one before I Installed my system. I still carry it today for emergency power along with the portable 65watt solar panel to charge it. IMO it is hard to piecemeal a system in your rig, as others have mentioned getting that big inverter will drain single lead acid battery fast. This way you have some small capabilities until your ready to do the complete rig.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2021 RBE
    I just did a "solar generator" search on amazon, hundreds of choices, here is a link to the one I bought. I have had it for couple years, it has been a solid unit. Only makes 300watts so don't plan on running the blender for margaritas, Haha. It does run the TV for about 4-5 hours. Which was perfect for stopping in a boondocking spot at night and then recharging it the next day on the cigarette adapter while driving to the next spot. https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Gene...s%2C261&sr=8-3

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a Portable Power station. I have a Ecoflow river pro a can run my tv and sat receiver which draw around 50 watts for both for about 12 hours. It will also run my Keurig coffee maker. On long drives will stop for gas, pop into the trailer and make a couple cups of coffee real quick then back on the road. The best thing about the Ecoflow unit vs other is that the Ecoflows recharge very fast. It will charge to 80% in 1 hour and full charge in about 1.6 hours. It is also A great unit to have at home if you ever need emergency power.
    https://www.amazon.com/EF-ECOFLOW-Po...s%2C170&sr=8-3