User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why is refrig still on with battery switch off?

I have a 2022 Reflection 150 series 295RL. The refrig is Furrion Arctic 12 volt built-in. When I put the fifth wheel in storage, I shut off the battery switch located in the compartment. Unlike other appliances and light, Furrion refrig will be still on unless you turn the knob inside the refrig to "OFF". I would think battery switch is used to cut off all the power including the refrig. Anyone can help me understand why refrig is treated differently when cutting off the battery power? or perhaps a wiring error for my RV only?

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not a wiring error. The battery switch is located between the Converter/Charger...and the Battery itself. The fridge circuit is being fed from the battery. The battery switch will keep battery power from flowing back towards the 12V fuse panel and any circuits that are located in it, but there are a few circuits, like the fridge for one, that are fed from the 12V power of the battery.....before it gets to the switch.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    It's not a wiring error. The battery switch is located between the Converter/Charger...and the Battery itself. The fridge circuit is being fed from the battery. The battery switch will keep battery power from flowing back towards the 12V fuse panel and any circuits that are located in it, but there are a few circuits, like the fridge for one, that are fed from the 12V power of the battery.....before it gets to the switch.
    While you are correct, it is wired as intended by GD, a battery isolation switch that doesn't isolate the battery is a ridiculous thing for the factory to install....imo. I can understand and agree that the breakaway switch should be left connected, but nothing else.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your C02/propane monitor is on always as well. I think maybe the smoke detectors as well. Litigators and safety first. How about a DC fuse for the fridge in the inverter box? Mine is a 15amp reefer/furnace.

Good luck
    Randy and Kris

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stroguy View Post
    Your C02/propane monitor is on always as well. I think maybe the smoke detectors as well. Litigators and safety first. How about a DC fuse for the fridge in the inverter box? Mine is a 15amp reefer/furnace.

Good luck
    His issue has nothing to do with an "Inverter"......it's strictly a 12VDC fridge
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 120V breaker and a 12v fuse (multiple) for my fridge. Why would he not possibly have a main 12V fuse? He must have a main 12V fuse somewhere. A manufacturer would never build one without a DC overcurrent protection.

There is a 15A fuse from the manufacturer. I am curious if GD also has a protection fuse. My fridge is factory protected and GD protected on both 120 and 12. If so, either fuse will kill the fridge.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	72076147-2166-47AD-A82B-1FA19FA03A59.png 
Views:	33 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	42509

The Furrion schematic.
    Last edited by stroguy; 08-14-2022 at 12:00 PM.
    Randy and Kris

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for comments and suggestions. Good to know this is not a wiring error. So I don't understand why GD would not let battery switch shut off the refrig as well just like any other appliances. I think there should be a fuse for refrig, but it would be additional works to pull the fuse out, leave in a safe place and remember to put it back. I am thinking of connecting 12V power line controlled by battery switch to the refrig to replace the direct connection between refrig and battery. This should be simple technically, but i am curious why GD would not do this if this is that simple.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnzhang View Post
    Thank you all for comments and suggestions. Good to know this is not a wiring error. So I don't understand why GD would not let battery switch shut off the refrig as well just like any other appliances. I think there should be a fuse for refrig, but it would be additional works to pull the fuse out, leave in a safe place and remember to put it back. I am thinking of connecting 12V power line controlled by battery switch to the refrig to replace the direct connection between refrig and battery. This should be simple technically, but i am curious why GD would not do this if this is that simple.
    I'll see if I can explain this....hopefully. The battery disconnect switch is there to be able to kill all 12VDC power to the 12V fuse panel, which is usually in the 120VAC breaker panel.....IF you are not plugged into shore power. If you aren't plugged into shore power, then you don't have a 120VAC source that would run the Converter/Charger. If you don't have the converter/charger running, the ONLY source of 12VDC power then becomes the battery. So in order to keep folks from running the battery down by maybe accidently leaving some lights on, or the furnace running when they really didn't mean to. So the battery disconnect will keep you from pulling power out of the battery....unless you really need to do that, in which case you leave the battery disconnect on/closed and draw 12VDC from the battery

When I stated earlier that the 12V fridge gets it power from the battery source, that is true, and somewhere in that circuit there will be a fuse for the wires going to the fridge. But the easiest way, and the way they intended for you to do, it to turn the fridge off with the knob or whatever that is on the fridge....there would really be no need to pull the fuse to the circuit.....just turn the fridge off.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stroguy View Post
    I have a 120V breaker and a 12v fuse (multiple) for my fridge. Why would he not possibly have a main 12V fuse? He must have a main 12V fuse somewhere. A manufacturer would never build one without a DC overcurrent protection.

There is a 15A fuse from the manufacturer. I am curious if GD also has a protection fuse. My fridge is factory protected and GD protected on both 120 and 12. If so, either fuse will kill the fridge.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	72076147-2166-47AD-A82B-1FA19FA03A59.png 
Views:	33 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	42509

The Furrion schematic.
    I think you are missing the point here. A 12VDC fridge does NOT need any 120VAC at all...none. The compressor is 12VDC, as is all the control devices on the fridge, as well as any fans it has and lights that it has. It doesn't need 120VAC....period.

Is your fridge an absroption fridge, that runs on 120VAC AND Propane?......because those do have both 12VDC and 120VAC going to them. Even when you are running one of those on 120VAC, they still require 12VDC for the control devices, lights, and fans. When they are running on propane, all they need is a propane supply and 12VDC for the control.

A strictly 12VDC fridge doesn't need 120VAC going to it.
    Last edited by xrated; 08-14-2022 at 01:22 PM.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnzhang View Post
    I have a 2022 Reflection 150 series 295RL. The refrig is Furrion Arctic 12 volt built-in. When I put the fifth wheel in storage, I shut off the battery switch located in the compartment. Unlike other appliances and light, Furrion refrig will be still on unless you turn the knob inside the refrig to "OFF". I would think battery switch is used to cut off all the power including the refrig. Anyone can help me understand why refrig is treated differently when cutting off the battery power? or perhaps a wiring error for my RV only?
    johnzhamg,
    I'm with you - why bother with a disconnect switch if it doesn't disconnect everything that is nonessential. Seems like an odd design. I'd say "bad" design, but who knows what the manufacturer was thinking? Sometimes I don't think they think some stuff all the way through. And heaven know hardly any of them seem to spend any time actually using them.

At least you have the on/off switch at the refrigerator itself.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast