User Tag List

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Made The Move To Lithium

After reading many posts here and a couple of calls to BattleBorn, I successfully made the change over from LA Batteries to a LiFePO.
    My change over was simple compared to most. Just one battery for now.

The booger was finding the charger/converter so I could swap it out as well.
    I was told by many that it was probably right behind the circuit breaker/Fuse box. Well.......It wasn't.
    It was actually back behind the wall in the basement pass through.
    That was not too bad either except that the nut and bolt that held the ground wire to the old unit was stripped.
    It's always something isn't it?

I finally had to use a small hack saw and cut the bolt off. Glad it wasn't summertime or hot! (sarcasm)
    I was drenched by the time I was done!
    The ground wire was a loop and I could have cut it loose and then twisted the ends back together, I chose to maintain the integrity original loop.

I also installed a Victron smart shunt so I could easily monitor the battery via a bluetooth connection.

When I asked Battle Born about adding another battery next year I was surprised to hear that it would not be an issue. This gives my wallet a chance to recuperate.

I documented the process if you are interested
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJk0...ithTheCody%27s

Thank you to all of the kind folks here that gave advice and comments as I was doing my research.

Safe Travels!
    2020 Reflection 29RS 5th Wheel
    2019 GMC 2500 HD 4x4 Duramax

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fivecodys View Post
    After reading many posts here and a couple of calls to BattleBorn, I successfully made the change over from LA Batteries to a LiFePO.
    My change over was simple compared to most. Just one battery for now.

The booger was finding the charger/converter so I could swap it out as well.
    I was told by many that it was probably right behind the circuit breaker/Fuse box. Well.......It wasn't.
    It was actually back behind the wall in the basement pass through.
    That was not too bad either except that the nut and bolt that held the ground wire to the old unit was stripped.
    It's always something isn't it?

I finally had to use a small hack saw and cut the bolt off. Glad it wasn't summertime or hot! (sarcasm)
    I was drenched by the time I was done!
    The ground wire was a loop and I could have cut it loose and then twisted the ends back together, I chose to maintain the integrity original loop.

I also installed a Victron smart shunt so I could easily monitor the battery via a bluetooth connection.

When I asked Battle Born about adding another battery next year I was surprised to hear that it would not be an issue. This gives my wallet a chance to recuperate.

I documented the process if you are interested
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJk0...ithTheCody%27s

Thank you to all of the kind folks here that gave advice and comments as I was doing my research.

Safe Travels!
    Welcome to the world of LFP batteries. To me, they are a game changer and I'm certainly glad I did mine earlier this year. I also did a Victron B.T. shunt when I did mine.....you will love having that, it totally takes the guess work out of the SOC level. Congrats and enjoy your success.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea, last year I thought AGM's were going to be a long term solution (2 6 volt) until I finally got my inverter and panels installed. Tried to make coffee with our Nespresso and could't get through one pod before the inverter shut down. Went with two Lion from Costco and now I we have SO much power to spare.
    2020 Imagine 2450RL born 7/2019 Anderson hitch
    2007 Tundra 5.7 with tow package and RAS
    Both retired - still have our S&B
    US Army vet (Air Cav baby!) Gulf war combat veteran

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2020 29RS too.

The video mentions the air duct tube, yes, it does attach to the upper duct. I am not a fan of adhesive, it just rarely ever works for me. While installing my lithium batteries, I had most of the basement torn apart and when I am completely done I will be attaching mine properly. It is still attached so it's not a high priority for me at this time. No, tape will not be used for securing it.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An update on my duct, mine has a least one screw holding the flange to the duct. Nothing I did, must have come that way from the factory.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
    An update on my duct, mine has a least one screw holding the flange to the duct. Nothing I did, must have come that way from the factory.
    A whole one screw huh? That's twice as many as mine had.
    It was an easy fix one I got up in there. The 'getting up in there' part was very entertaining to the wife.
    2020 Reflection 29RS 5th Wheel
    2019 GMC 2500 HD 4x4 Duramax

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When it comes to modifying anything around the house/RV/car, it's best that the wife is not around. As long as it works when I'm done, she does not care how it happened.

While looking at mine, I suspect I will modify the duct so I can move the tube further back. That way, I can use that space for other toys. Such as the MPPTs that will be installed next year.

No, she will not watch me installing the PV panels on top of the 5th wheel.