User Tag List

Fireside Member KIMandALLEN1988's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hauling bicycles in 351m garage

Hello. We have a GD 351m that we have been pretty happy with overall. We have two bicycles and a motorcycle. When we have the motorcycle on board it is fairly challenging to secure the bicycles to the sides of the garage. I've added tie down points, but the bikes still want to shift around and it is difficult to work around the tie down straps in place securing the motorcycle. How do you all carry these types of items? Have any of you added/welded on a receiver/bicycle carrier to the trailer frame? While an 11' garage seems like a lot of space, it gets full fast! Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks.
    Allen
    2022 Chevrolet 3500hd LTZ drw
    2023 GD Momentum 397THS-R (FBP!)
    2021 Harley Davidson Electra Glide

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I made this with scrap lumber. I strap the stand down then strap bikes. Cheap and effective. Not pretty. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	markup_4539.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	53.3 KB 
ID:	42542
    MN_Rider

2019 354M Momentum
    2013 F350 CCSB 6.7

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MN_Rider View Post
    I made this with scrap lumber. I strap the stand down then strap bikes. Cheap and effective. Not pretty. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	markup_4539.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	53.3 KB 
ID:	42542
    Pretty good thinking. Not fancy, but functional. Good job.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My original implementation for that was, I made some bicycle racks so that there was one on each side of the garage. It worked very well until I got a Can Am Spyder and had to put that in the garage too. The Spyder just fit, because I have a lower half of a roll around toolbox positioned at the front wall of the garage. When the Spyder was in and all strapped down, the bikes came in to their spot. Honestly, it was way too crowded and you simply could not move around. Last fall, I had a mobile welder come to the house and weld up some frame work under the back and then installed a Class III full receiver and bought an RV rated bike carrier for the back.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Fireside Member KIMandALLEN1988's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I'm leaning that way. MN Rider's bike rack is a great idea, but with my HD in back, along with a mini fridge, toaster oven, etc, I don't think I have much room for another item with a large foot print.
    2022 Chevrolet 3500hd LTZ drw
    2023 GD Momentum 397THS-R (FBP!)
    2021 Harley Davidson Electra Glide

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KIMandALLEN1988 View Post
    I think I'm leaning that way. MN Rider's bike rack is a great idea, but with my HD in back, along with a mini fridge, toaster oven, etc, I don't think I have much room for another item with a large foot print.
    I won't go into great detail here, but basically I bought two lengths of 4" Steel Channel and had them welded all the way across the back of the trailer. They went from the inside to inside of the 12" main frame of the trailer and sat on the bottom flange of the the "H" beams (main trailer frame beams). Each piece, as I recall was 70 some odd inches long, but you would need to measure yours as I have a Momentum 394M, not a 351M. Anyway, they were welded in place by a professional/certified welder and the flat side of the "C" channel faced down towards the ground/road. That provided a very good and solid surface area for me to install the Class III receiver. I drilled the Channel (1/2" holes) and used Grade 8 bolts (eight of them) to bolt it to the channel. Of course I did a lot of measuring/planning to be able to get the channel the correct length and in the correct location so that the receiver was pretty much flush with the back of the trailer and just as importantly, the bike carrier far enough away from the trailer for our ebikes to fit....all without putting it out away from the receiver so far that it would cause extra stress on everything when travelling and hitting bumps in the road. Holler if you have any questions and I'll try to answer them if I can.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a Bolt It On rack to secure whatever configuration of bicycles, motorcycles, or ATVs I am carrying. It works great and is very flexible. I also have a configuration where I mount the bikes sideways in the garage using e-track and bicycle wheel holders from MotoPro that allows me to have the bikes and still use the happyjac.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobKilmer View Post
    I use a Bolt It On rack to secure whatever configuration of bicycles, motorcycles, or ATVs I am carrying.
    Same here (except I don't have any ATVs). I have road bicycles, mountain bikes, dirt bikes, and roadrace motorcycles. The configurability of the BoltItOn is a huge benefit. I have 2 different mounting rails - one the full width of my garage, the other the full width of my truck bed (for those times when I haul the bicycles or motorcycles in my truck).

Here's a photo of one of the configurations I use .. 3 dirt bikes, 2 mountain bikes

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	config.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	42677
    signature