User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jhick120 View Post
    Don't mind the additional dialog, just curious what others are doing for the problem with a short bed. I assume that I will need to go to a slider and looking for recommendations based on experiences. As of right now, cost is really not an issue as I do not want this to happen again and I have the funds to make good on what I need.
    Just want to confirm as Second Chance asked that you have the AUH turned so the ball is on the backside. That worked well for me although I have a Reflection and not a Solitude.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't mind the additional dialog, just curious what others are doing for the problem with a short bed. I assume that I will need to go to a slider and looking for recommendations based on experiences. As of right now, cost is really not an issue as I do not want this to happen again and I have the funds to make good on what I need.
    Some people have had good luck with the Reese GooseBox and the 4" B&W offset ball. With this combination you need to install the B&W frame under the truck bed, the OEM "Puck" system will not accommodate the B&W offset ball.

PS: If you got a good deal on the truck, it should be worth more than you paid for it in today's market. You might consider trading it in on an F-350 Dually, Long Bed (with the Puck system. I guarantee the 350 Dually/Reese GooseBox combination will pull your 310Gk so well, you'll often forget you are towing anything.

We LOVE the GooseBox and our F-350 !!!!
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, I have always been careful backing in my 5'er into my driveway because of the short bed. I have the Anderson Ultimate Hitch and a 2021 Solitude 301GK. I wished I had done a little more investigating on long bed versus short bed but I got such a great deal on the 2020 F350 I couldn't pass it up.

Again, always careful.

Well, this weekend coming back from the Knoxville Nationals I was backing up into my driveway which requires a pretty tight turn. I was doing very well and keeping an eye on the trailer. For some reason I looked away for just a split second and heard the very loud sound of the window shattering. I knew immediately. It was so loud neighbors came out of the house to see what happened.

This got me to thinking. There has to be a much better setup even though I really like the ease of the AUH. I started looking at posts and found a lot talking about what others did but nothing that really stood out as "Ok, this is what I need". So, I am posting my own thread and asking all of you smart people on this forum your opinions and thoughts on the best setup for a F350 Crew Cab SRW short-bed pulling a Solitude 310GK.

I look forward to your feedback.
    Been there, done that. A short bed 2020 F-350 towing our Reflection 337RLS using our Andersen. We are right at our 3473 lb payload with 2 people, 1 dog, i parrot in the cabin. Any slider hitch would put us over payload.

I always watch when turning but my wife took out the rear window on uneven ground in a tight turn. The explosion was loud.

After 5almost 6 years we still won’t give up the Andersen. We are just more careful now.

$571 with tax, for a new Ford OEM Sliding window at Safelite with the Costco discount code.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5077724D-D5DD-4FDF-B03C-11829E62FA76.jpg  
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Costco Safelite phone number 800-808-7193 and promotional code CC007 was the best price we found.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A1E8D575-015C-49AA-9BD7-69C7B1FB7D72.jpg  
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all of the feedback. Very helpful.

Yes, we have the AUH turned the proper way. With the additional width of the Solitude it definitely makes it close when turning. I have kept the wife appraised of the discussion here and we are both onboard with the sliding hitch. Now, its just a matter or ordering and installing. Until then, my next trip is to Branson, MO next weekend so I guess I will just have to be very close in the meantime.

Appreciate the feedback, and still welcome more. What a great forum.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a Reese Sidewinder with a Reese 5th wheel hitch. I was looking at a sliding hitch, but did not want the extra hitch weight on the truck, I actually needed it on the trailer to increase my pin weight. I have an AUH in my garage, but with a tight turn backing up into my driveway, which is also uphill, I did not trust the clearance using the AUH. Maybe if I converted my gooseneck to the B&W with the 4" offset it may work, I just have a system that is working now.

If I did not have the Sidewinder setup, I would have a sliding hitch. Have had to make some tight turns, and knowing I don't have to worry or have someone spot me, is worth it. I can make a 90* turn if I wanted without hitting the truck.
    Last edited by Wileykid; 08-18-2022 at 06:25 AM.
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, I have always been careful backing in my 5'er into my driveway because of the short bed. I have the Anderson Ultimate Hitch and a 2021 Solitude 301GK. I wished I had done a little more investigating on long bed versus short bed but I got such a great deal on the 2020 F350 I couldn't pass it up.

Again, always careful.

Well, this weekend coming back from the Knoxville Nationals I was backing up into my driveway which requires a pretty tight turn. I was doing very well and keeping an eye on the trailer. For some reason I looked away for just a split second and heard the very loud sound of the window shattering. I knew immediately. It was so loud neighbors came out of the house to see what happened.

This got me to thinking. There has to be a much better setup even though I really like the ease of the AUH. I started looking at posts and found a lot talking about what others did but nothing that really stood out as "Ok, this is what I need". So, I am posting my own thread and asking all of you smart people on this forum your opinions and thoughts on the best setup for a F350 Crew Cab SRW short-bed pulling a Solitude 310GK.

I look forward to your feedback.
    Sorry as I can feel your pain. I have a Silverado SB and had a manual Reese slider hitch. Well we were on a long drive back from Florida and missed a turn getting fuel so I pulled into a strip mall to turn around. Forgot to manually slide the hitch back in a tight turn and heard the BOOM as glass showered my son in the back seat. Luckily he wasn't cut. One hour later we were on our way with a shower curtain we purchased at Dollar General, duct taped across the rear window. After this incident, I purchased a Reese sidewinder hitch and haven't had a issue since. I can actually back up beyond 90 degrees if required. The moral of the story is "Manual" is ok if you never get tired or distracted and never make a mistake
    Tim
    2020 Reflection 320MKS, Sidewinder Hitch
    2003 2500HD Silverado Duramax, Sumo springs, Hawk Brake Pads

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indy Tim, and others. Pardon my ignorance here as I am still learning about the best way to tow with a short bed. I understand you have the Reese Sidewinder that moves the pivot point back 22". With that said, would the Sidewinder work well with the AUH and still give me that 90 degree turn or would I still need a different/sliding hitch in the bed?

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all of the feedback. Very helpful.

Yes, we have the AUH turned the proper way. With the additional width of the Solitude it definitely makes it close when turning. I have kept the wife appraised of the discussion here and we are both onboard with the sliding hitch. Now, its just a matter or ordering and installing. Until then, my next trip is to Branson, MO next weekend so I guess I will just have to be very close in the meantime.

Appreciate the feedback, and still welcome more. What a great forum.
    Make sure the Slider doesn't make you over weight, a real possibility with a SRW F-350.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indy Tim, and others. Pardon my ignorance here as I am still learning about the best way to tow with a short bed. I understand you have the Reese Sidewinder that moves the pivot point back 22". With that said, would the Sidewinder work well with the AUH and still give me that 90 degree turn or would I still need a different/sliding hitch in the bed?
    The sidewinder will not work with the AUH. The sidewinder has 2 wedges that capture the pin at the 5th wheel hitch to eliminate movement thereby moving the pivot point back to the sidewinder hitch box.
    You don't need a slider hitch with a Sidewinder, it replaces the need for one.
    Tim
    2020 Reflection 320MKS, Sidewinder Hitch
    2003 2500HD Silverado Duramax, Sumo springs, Hawk Brake Pads

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast