User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    X2 on the B&W slider. Like you, I have a Solitude, mine being a bit longer. Absolutely love it. Our street to our house is fairly narrow and I use it every time I back into the driveway.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have seen many posts about "short" beds on trucks, and was not aware the current offerings for HD pickups include a "short bed". For example, in 2017, when I bought my Ram, 2500 with a standard bed (6' 4"). The only available short bed was on the 1500 and it measured 5' 7" (aka, "grocery getter"). The long bed in any series was/is eight feet long. I figured the other manufacturers' offerings were similar, give or take a couple of inches. Just be careful and clearly specific when ordering such a truck.

If I were to trade, I would consider a 1-ton truck with (maybe) the 8' bed, although that would be pure hell in the parking lots near me, where parking spaces were designed for roller skates. The extra space may come in handy for carrying stuff, but the 1'4" bed has served us very well.

Back to my 6'4" bed and 5th Wheel, I have tried sharp turns with the hitch/coupler (B&W Companion) setting at longitudinal and vertical midrange, and have to struggle to make the "nose" and the cab come within an inch or so of each other... such required more than a ~84° angle. We spent a lot of time checking this and calculating to see what it would take. And yes, I never consulted Faecesbook and the like, but rather I consulted and followed the advice of the B&W dealer who also installed it onto my truck's "puck" system. He also twos a 5th Wheel with a standard bed truck. Of all those in our camping "group", one of them has a "slider" and never uses it.
    Last edited by Summit1; 09-11-2022 at 08:09 AM.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit1 View Post
    I have seen many posts about "short" beds on trucks, and was not aware the current offerings for HD pickups include a "short bed". For example, in 2017, when I bought my Ram, 2500 with a standard bed (6' 4"). The only available short bed was on the 1500 and it measured 5' 7" (aka, "grocery getter"). The long bed in any series was/is eight feet long. I figured the other manufacturers' offerings were similar, give or take a couple of inches. If I were to trade, I would consider a 1-ton truck with (maybe) the 8' bed, although that would be pure hell in the parking lots near me, where parking spaces were designed for roller skates. The extra space may come in handy for carrying stuff, but the 1'4" bed has served us very well.

Back to my 6'4" bed and 5th Wheel, I have tried sharp turns with the hitch/coupler setting at longitudinal and vertical midrange, and have to struggle to make the "nose" and the cab come within an inch or so... such required more than a ~84° angle. We spent a lot of time checking this and calculating to see what it would take.
    I think the short bed problem is really when you have a wide body RV like the Solitude or Momentum, those are 101" wide. Not sure on the measurements of the other lines, but they are not as wide. I personally like a long bed truck for the extra storage space and would never go back to anything less than an 8' bed; I realize other people have their reasons for short beds and I'm glad we have options.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234