User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbug View Post
    Okay, that's the same system Happy Frood referenced where he said he was not impressed. But it does appear on eTrailer that they have all the variations that should fit. I'd check there instead of Amazon as it appears they have a better price, and they have chat or phone if you have questions. If my shocks work as I hope, I might suggest spending a little more on those rather than the equalizers. But I'll post an update after we take our next trip to share how it performs.
    No, I do like the Dexter EZ Flex equipment, but not the Lippert Equaflex equipment. I've found it cheaper than Etrailer too, but they are good people to work with. We had a slight glitch with the last order I placed with them, but it all worked out in the end.

Yeah, no free shipping to Canada. Bummer.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By coincidence I’m partway through an installation of the Comfort Ride Shocks myself. Tie plates are done. I decided to do all the tie plates first then come back and locate and drill the frame brackets.

Like you say, no need to remove the wheels. Good to know about the long drill bit vs short. I was going to use a short one with my angle drill but I’ll go get a long drill bit tomorrow.
    2022 Reflection 150 278BH
    2023 Silverado 2500HD Gas
    “If you like how it tows, don’t change anything.”

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Do a search around for that part, and save yourself $100. I just bought the Dexter K71-653-00, for 35" axles spacing, and it was $339. The place I bought mine from showed $319 for the DEXTER-K71-652-00. Free shipping, and an added plus: no sales tax. It's usually pretty easy to beat Amazon's prices.

That kit should work for your trailer depending on the length of your springs. I've used them before and they are a high quality, strong piece of kit.
    Didn't you say you were not impressed with the Dexter's? Or, were you referring to the Lippert OEM parts? I may have misunderstood...
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Easycamper View Post
    By coincidence I’m partway through an installation of the Comfort Ride Shocks myself. Tie plates are done. I decided to do all the tie plates first then come back and locate and drill the frame brackets.

Like you say, no need to remove the wheels. Good to know about the long drill bit vs short. I was going to use a short one with my angle drill but I’ll go get a long drill bit tomorrow.
    I didn't have a short enough 5/16" drill bit so I had to cut mine as some instructions suggest. The cut bit did not work well because the spirals do not sit perfectly straight when the jaws are tightened so it made a slightly larger hole. The long bit was at a slight angle for a couple of the holes but that didn't cause any trouble for the self tapping bolts. So, I say save the trouble and get the long bit if you can.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbug View Post
    Didn't you say you were not impressed with the Dexter's? Or, were you referring to the Lippert OEM parts? I may have misunderstood...
    I could have been confusing, I'm accused of that quite frequently. But yes, I am impressed with the quality and strength of the Dexter parts. I haven't taken the Lippert Equaflex equalizers off yet, but they look very perished. I'll know more after they're off and I can look at them closely. But the overall impression of the Lippert equalizers is not favorable.
    Howard and Peggy

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Riverbug

Thanks for the update. Once you get a few trips and provide feedback it will help others coming along who may be considering the same set up, shocks as opposed to equalizers.

This is our 3rd camping season with the Dexter EZ Flex K71-653-00 Kit. Since this trailer is the first we’ve owned with leaf springs and our first suspension upgrade, I don’t have anything else to compare it with.

I originally wanted MORryde cre3000 but was told by their CS it wouldn’t work with our equalizer hanger (there are now other members here who have installed it). That said, I’m happy with the Dexter EZ Flex. I can feel the pot holes smooth out more and so far, don’t see any deterioration. Hope that continues. I did pay a local RV shop to install the kit.

PS - forgot to mention the other reason I wanted to upgrade was due to the OEM nylon bushings. I’ve read here and elsewhere that they may last a season.
    Last edited by Tigger1; 08-18-2022 at 06:39 AM.
    2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L 4x4
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Andersen WDH
    Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit
    2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
    2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shoot, the OEM nylong bushings probably won't last the length of the trip from the factory.
    Howard and Peggy

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Shoot, the OEM nylong bushings probably won't last the length of the trip from the factory.
    I imagine there are a lot of units out there with shackle bolts wearing metal on metal right now. I never gave any consideration to those bolts in our previous trailers; I guess they survived years on the road so the new one probably would be just fine without the upgrade too. But I feel better knowing it's done now. And I am really hoping the shocks will help reduce fatigue on the leaf springs over the coming years.
    Chad

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I changed our old trailer's equalizers out to the Dexter EZ Flex, the plastic, excuse me nylon, bushings were shot, and this was after less than 2,000 miles. Many OEM suspension components are pretty poor.
    Howard and Peggy

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Easycamper View Post

This may be too late but thought I would clarify that the drill length I cut to was just under 3" and that just fit the tightest bolt hole placements needed. If you can find a 5/16" drill bit with 3" overall length, that would work - I just couldn't find one that short. A regular length bit will work on several of the holes too so good to have that available. It's just some holes will need either the short or long bit. Hope that helps.
    Chad

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast