User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At Home Installation of Shock Absorbers, Shackles, and Wet Bolt Complete

I previously requested opinions on adding shock absorbers to our TT in a separate thread. After feedback and research I decided on the Roadmaster Comfort Ride Shocks and MoRyde Shackles/Wet Bolt system. Thought I would share some findings and experiences doing this work myself. Note that I have done a fair amount of automotive work over the years, but by no means a mechanic and do not have any special tools in my arsenal. I have done things like brakes, bearings/races/seals, but never new shock absorbers or dealt with leaf springs. This is to say that if I can watch YouTube videos and do it, pretty much anybody can given the time, patience, and sore muscles. I purchased everything from eTrailer. They were great to deal with and have an easy process for managing returns.

What didn't work for my particular model TT:
    I was initially interested in a slipper spring system, but learned that e-Trailer does not have one to fit 3,500# axles.
    I ordered the Road Armor equalizers to replace the OEMs. But they did not fit so I had to return them. So far I have not found an aftermarket option that matches the dimensions of the OEM equalizer.
    I did not order the correct shackle/wet bolt system, so had to return them and order the 2 1/4" set.

I recommend measuring the length of your shackles (hole center to hole center) rather than just going off online descriptions. For example, I have 3" axles rated at 3,500#. Most 3" axles are rated at 5,000#. Just looking at what fits 3,500# axles doesn't always apply as they are usually 2.5", so descriptions are sometimes confusing. Using online chat with eTrailer is great! But they don't always know everything either - hence I had to return the Road Armor Equalizers.

Tips and Summary:
    Shock Absorbers: I averaged 2.5 hours per shock for installation. That included drilling 4 holes in the frame for each of the hangers, all assembly, mulling over the best approach, etc. The first one takes the longest. Watch eTrailer installation videos before starting. Get a long (12") 5/8' drill bit rather than cutting a short drill bit; I tried both and the long bit worked better. Do all the work with the trailer on all 4 wheels. Don't jack it up for any of the steps. This is quicker for locating the hanger bracket and there is no need to jack it up or remove wheels in order to drill the holes or install any of the brackets. It's a bit tight under the axles but can be done. Be sure to buy a torque wrench if you do not have one, I don't trust anyone to know when things are torqued correctly unless they use a torque wrench, including me. Overall, having never installed shock absorbers myself, this was pretty straight forward. It just took time, and my shoulders were quite sore afterward.

Shackles and Wet Bolts:
    It took about 8 hours to do this job. Some of that time was spent trying to figure out why the new equalizers would not fit and what to do about it. In the end I kept the originals. I was very surprised to find that the nylon bushing used by Lippert were already worn through on one side of nearly all the bushings. Mind you, this is a 2022 TT. We did drive from MN to FL and back, but still. The new shackles are thicker, the bushings are bronze, and the bolts have grease zerks so I can keep them lubricated. Because of the equipment I have on hand, I had to raise one side of the TT by placing jack stands on heavy timbers; I lowered the stabilizer jacks and attached the hitch to the truck and used the tongue jack for additional stabilization. It doesn't need to go up much, but the axles need enough room to hang free with car jacks under them; you will need the ability to raise and lower each one as you remove and install the new bolts and bushings. Overall, this job was actually not too difficult. The second side took only 2 hours because by then I knew what I was doing. You'll want a heavy hammer for sure, and be ready to pound. I found it easiest to install the equalizer bushings by greasing inside the holes, then use a bench vise to push the new bushings in. Removing the nylon bushings was pretty easy with a screwdriver and hammer. If you find it difficult to remove or install a bolt on a leaf spring, it's likely because there is tension on it and this can be reduced by raising or lowering the axle a bit until it's somewhat free.

We won't be taking the trailer out till the end of September, so remains to be seen if there will be a noticeable difference in the ride. But thought I would share some of my experience with installing these things for anyone that might care...
    Last edited by Riverbug; 08-17-2022 at 03:58 PM.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbug View Post
    I previously requested opinions on adding shock absorbers to our TT in a separate thread. After feedback and research I decided on the Roadmaster Comfort Ride Shocks and MoRyde Shackles/Wet Bolt system. Thought I would share some findings and experiences doing this work myself. Note that I have done a fair amount of automotive work over the years, but by no means a mechanic and do not have any special tools in my arsenal. I have done things like brakes, bearings/races/seals, but never new shock absorbers or dealt with leaf springs. This is to say that if I can watch YouTube videos and do it, pretty much anybody can given the time, patience, and sore muscles. I purchased everything from eTrailer. They were great to deal with and have an easy process for managing returns.

What didn't work for my particular model TT:
    I was initially interested in a slipper spring system, but learned that e-Trailer does not have one to fit 3,500# axles.
    I ordered the Road Armor equalizers to replace the OEMs. But they did not fit so I had to return them. So far I have not found an aftermarket option that matches the dimensions of the OEM equalizer.
    I did not order the correct shackle/wet bolt system, so had to return them and order the 2 1/4" set.

I recommend measuring the length of your shackles (hole center to hole center) rather than just going off online descriptions. For example, I have 3" axles rated at 3,500#. Most 3" axles are rated at 5,000#. Just looking at what fits 3,500# axles doesn't always apply as they are usually 2.5", so descriptions are sometimes confusing. Using online chat with eTrailer is great! But they don't always know everything either - hence I had to return the Road Armor Equalizers.

Tips and Summary:
    Shock Absorbers: I averaged 2.5 hours per shock for installation. That included drilling 4 holes in the frame for each of the hangers, all assembly, mulling over the best approach, etc. The first one takes the longest. Watch eTrailer installation videos before starting. Get a long (12") 5/8' drill bit rather than cutting a short drill bit; I tried both and the long bit worked better. Do all the work with the trailer on all 4 wheels. Don't jack it up for any of the steps. This is quicker for locating the hanger bracket and there is no need to jack it up or remove wheels in order to drill the holes or install any of the brackets. It's a bit tight under the axles but can be done. Be sure to buy a torque wrench if you do not have one, I don't trust anyone to know when things are torqued correctly unless they use a torque wrench, including me. Overall, having never installed shock absorbers myself, this was pretty straight forward. It just took time, and my shoulders were quite sore afterward.

Shackles and Wet Bolts:
    It took about 8 hours to do this job. Some of that time was spent trying to figure out why the new equalizers would not fit and what to do about it. In the end I kept the originals. I was very surprised to find that the nylon bushing used by Lippert were already worn through on one side of nearly all the bushings. Mind you, this is a 2022 TT. We did drive from MN to FL and back, but still. The new shackles are thicker, the bushings are bronze, and the bolts have grease zerks so I can keep them lubricated. Because of the equipment I have on hand, I had to raise one side of the TT by placing jack stands on heavy timbers; I lowered the stabilizer jacks and attached the hitch to the truck and used the tongue jack for additional stabilization. It doesn't need to go up much, but the axles need enough room to hang free with car jacks under them; you will need the ability to raise and lower each one as you remove and install the new bolts and bushings. Overall, this job was actually not too difficult. The second side took only 2 hours because by then I knew what I was doing. You'll want a heavy hammer for sure, and be ready to pound. I found it easiest to install the equalizer bushings by greasing inside the holes, then use a bench vise to push the new bushings in. Removing the nylon bushings was pretty easy with a screwdriver and hammer. If you find it difficult to remove or install a bolt on a leaf spring, it's likely because there is tension on it and this can be reduced by raising or lowering the axle a bit until it's somewhat free.

We won't be taking the trailer out till the end of September, so remains to be seen if there will be a noticeable difference in the ride. But thought I would share some of my experience with installing these things for anyone that might care...
    Thanks for sharing this. As you say if you're willing to try often you'll succeed. Many good tips here.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you looked at the dexter equalizer?
    I am hoping that would fit as it would be my choice
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's been my experience when installing the brass bushings, they can be compressed (squished) slightly. I reamed all the ones I installed to size, and only had a couple that were actually deformed a bit.

I got the Dexter EZ Flex equalizers to replace the Lippert Equaflex ones. Not impressed with them at all.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi NB. I did see the Dexter but other than being a little heavier duty than the OEM I didn't see any advantage. I wanted something that provided additional dampening such as the Road Armor. If I ever need to replace the OEM from wear, I would go with the Dexter, otherwise it works just fine; the new bushing will certainly help. If you see a Dexter with dampening that matches the OEM dimensions, please let me know as I didn't see that. Thanks.

Correction: I just found the Dexter EZ Flex that Happy Frood mentioned. That's probably what you meant. I'll have to see how the shocks do before I decide if I need more dampening. I'm hoping not.
    Last edited by Riverbug; 08-17-2022 at 06:23 PM.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    It's been my experience when installing the brass bushings, they can be compressed (squished) slightly. I reamed all the ones I installed to size, and only had a couple that were actually deformed a bit.

I got the Dexter EZ Flex equalizers to replace the Lippert Equaflex ones. Not impressed with them at all.
    Thanks for the feedback on the EZ Flex, I did not see before that they had a matching size for my TT but I see it now. If the shock absorbers do what I hope, I shouldn't really need additional dampening. Guess I'll find out.

I didn't have any issues with the bronze bushings from MORyde. They all went in nicely without deforming. All the bolts slid in without any issue and the grease seemed to spread evenly seeing how it oozed out the ends all the way around.
    Chad

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbug View Post
    Hi NB. I did see the Dexter but other than being a little heavier duty than the OEM I didn't see any advantage. I wanted something that provided additional dampening such as the Road Armor. If I ever need to replace the OEM from wear, I would go with the Dexter, otherwise it works just fine; the new bushing will certainly help. If you see a Dexter with dampening that matches the OEM dimensions, please let me know as I didn't see that. Thanks.

Correction: I just found the Dexter EZ Flex that Happy Frood mentioned. That's probably what you meant. I'll have to see how the shocks do before I decide if I need more dampening. I'm hoping not.
    This is the system I was looking at but maybe it won’t work. Next year’s project if I don’t sell my trailer

https://www.amazon.ca/DEXTER-K71-652.../dp/B01HOAGBSI
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    This is the system I was looking at but maybe it won’t work. Next year’s project if I don’t sell my trailer

Do a search around for that part, and save yourself $100. I just bought the Dexter K71-653-00, for 35" axles spacing, and it was $339. The place I bought mine from showed $319 for the DEXTER-K71-652-00. Free shipping, and an added plus: no sales tax. It's usually pretty easy to beat Amazon's prices.

That kit should work for your trailer depending on the length of your springs. I've used them before and they are a high quality, strong piece of kit.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post

Okay, that's the same system Happy Frood referenced where he said he was not impressed. But it does appear on eTrailer that they have all the variations that should fit. I'd check there instead of Amazon as it appears they have a better price, and they have chat or phone if you have questions. If my shocks work as I hope, I might suggest spending a little more on those rather than the equalizers. But I'll post an update after we take our next trip to share how it performs.
    Chad

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Do a search around for that part, and save yourself $100. I just bought the Dexter K71-653-00, for 35" axles spacing, and it was $339. The place I bought mine from showed $319 for the DEXTER-K71-652-00. Free shipping, and an added plus: no sales tax. It's usually pretty easy to beat Amazon's prices.

That kit should work for your trailer depending on the length of your springs. I've used them before and they are a high quality, strong piece of kit.
    That is Canadian funds and free shipping

Shipping items to Canada from the USA is expensive
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast