User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sad to hear you may be hanging it up. Truth is,
    we’ve been having trips like yours too (maybe not quite as bad) that are pushing us in the same direction. Fingers crossed that things will settle down for a while

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Noble View Post
    ...After leaving, going up out of Denver, turbo hose blew off. Got it fixed for about 300 ft. Mobile Tech came by and fixed it, he followed us to Evergreen, hose came off before we got there...
    I can relate to this. We had just replaced all of the plastic turbo pipes due to a hole worn through the bottom of the biggest one. 4 months later we left south-of-Detroit, Michigan for Florida for the winter. Our 2006 F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel truck was running a little strange, but I chalked it up to the <20 temps. 25 miles later the turbo hose blew off the turbo outlet. I re-clamped it back on while wearing an arctic suit on the side of the road. We made it about 100 yards and it blew off again. This time I didn't care about the clamp torque and cranked it down. Nursing it along we made it to just north of Cincinnati, Ohio with the hose blown off the third of fourth time...in a blizzard. We spent the night in a parking lot.

The next morning we barely made it up the ramp to the freeway. (Have you ever noticed that most all freeway entrance ramps are uphill when pulling a big RV?). We made it into Kentucky where it blew off again. This time we looked online and found that Emery cloth super-glued upside down onto the turbo flange would keep the hose from blowing off. It did...for a while...Then another hose blew off the inter-cooler! I cranked that one down as well. We were able to get into Georgia with things appearing normal.

Late the next morning we stopped just south of Atlanta for fuel. While pulling "up" the freeway ramp something else blew that but it was a very different, much louder, noise. I pulled off the ramp and found that the aluminum and plastic intercooler had a blowout. We were able to crawl on the shoulder to make the next ramp and parked (with permission) in a vacant part pf a gas station.

Options? We called our RV park and contacted the local handyman, Ron, that we knew from previous years. He drove his truck up to take our RV the remaining 300+ miles. While waiting we took our truck (it was drivable without the trailer albeit very loud and using way more fuel) to the nearest Ford dealer 60 miles away. Their mechanic was on vacation. So my wife said that if I could drive it that far at 60 Mph to the Ford dealer, why couldn't I just drive it to the local Ford dealer near the RV park in Florida (I'm a smart guy, but my wife can very often make me completely outwitted)...

We did that and Ron deposited out Solitude on our lot at exactly midnight. The next weekday I took the truck to the Ford dealer where I received a quote for about $12K worth of repairs. I did research and found that my turbo "unity ring" that hydraulically (engine oil pressure) moves the vanes that vary the exhaust pressure either through the turbo or out the tail pipe, was stuck in-position, causing a permanent over-boost!

I bought a new all-aluminum-cast and welded intercooler and a turbo rebuild kit for $270 and $120, respectively, from Amazon. I also re-soldered the transistors in my fuel injector module (a known issue...I had to remove the module to be able to remove the Turbo anyway).

That was the end of our turbo issue, except going home at Easter and climbing a Tennessee Mountain one of the intercooler hoses blew off. It was then I remembered that I had the wrong-sized hose clamp for the new intercooler and had forgotten to get the right one. We cut a couple strips of indoor-outdoor carpeting to put under the clamp to make it tighter. It still there 4 years later! And we've been back to Florida 4 more times... Anyway, We really felt your pain!
    Frank and Char + Maya, Newport, Michigan. 2016 Solitude 379FL/2006 F250 6.0 diesel w/dually conversion. 4th rain-sense roof vent, two ceiling fans, Kodiak disc brakes, Carlisle G 14-ply tires, Water Miser x2, final dump valve, water header tank, fridge cond fan switch, outside range exhaust, elec hot water anode, filtered drinking water, triple battery box,

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @fez111
    I had a similar experience with my Ford 6.0 that fortunately was under warranty still. Turbo vanes stuck just south of Rochester MN. Long story short...Ford dealer in Shakopee MN had the truck for two days and threw $15k worth of parts and labour at it to fix it. As it was nowhere near the first time having engine work done with less than 40,000 miles on it, I asked the diesel tech who worked on it why I was having so many problems with this truck. He looked at me, shook his head and said "I looked at the service history of this truck.....get rid of this truck". So I traded it in the next week.

You RV long enough, you will have trying experiences...but usually not all at once
    Hope your stress has levelled out Dick.
    Last edited by Scott'n'Wendy; 08-30-2022 at 04:55 AM.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to all. Hope for better times and trips ahead.
    2018 Solitude 375 RES 2022 F450 Powerstroke Dually

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maybe I don't want a turbo diesel after all... Godzilla sounds kinda nice after reading this thread...
    Matt, Irene, and Ruby (our Golden Retriever)
    2022 Imagine 2600RB with ProPride 3P
    2024 Silverado 2500 LTZ Gasser (3500 payload)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update: Left Cedaredge, CO 11/10 for our winter trip, heading to Needles, CA. Got about 10 miles into Utah on I70 and truck made a weird sound, started producing lots of black smoke, no power and no heat inside. Good Sam found a tow company (D & J Towing in Grand Junction). They sent two trucks to tow the truck and the Solitude. They got us home by 6 pm. Great folks and Good Sam came through for us. Took the truck to local Ford dealer today (11/11). While there, DW asked if they had a dually truck on the lot. They had a 2022 F450 dually Lariat. I think we bought it. All depends on what is wrong with our 350. Wow, these trucks are very expensive! I am trying to find how much weight an F450 will carry and tow. Truck is gorgeous and I want it!

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update: Left Cedaredge, CO 11/10 for our winter trip, heading to Needles, CA. Got about 10 miles into Utah on I70 and truck made a weird sound, started producing lots of black smoke, no power and no heat inside. Good Sam found a tow company (D & J Towing in Grand Junction). They sent two trucks to tow the truck and the Solitude. They got us home by 6 pm. Great folks and Good Sam came through for us. Took the truck to local Ford dealer today (11/11). While there, DW asked if they had a dually truck on the lot. They had a 2022 F450 dually Lariat. I think we bought it. All depends on what is wrong with our 350. Wow, these trucks are very expensive! I am trying to find how much weight an F450 will carry and tow. Truck is gorgeous and I want it!
    I say it's was meant to be. Your destiny.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for continuing to post updates. Please let us know what happened with your F350 when they get it figured out.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One more thing; when we hooked up at Strasburg, I did not get the Andersen hitch properly aligned with the adapter and I cracked the red plastic guide part. Did not affect the towability but I just installed a new adapter. I decided to replace the entire adapter. At $310 for it I will be very careful in the future to align everything.
    Did you contact Andersen? I had the same thing happen to mine and they replaced it, no charge.
    2017 F350 4x4 6.7 Turbo Diesel
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, I did not even think about contacting them. It was my own stupidity, so I figured I'd have to pay for it. Another expensive learning experience.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast