User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WANTED: Wisdom of the crowd - 2023 GD Solitude 380FL R

We need tips!

What should we be on the lookout for / ask during the walkthrough for our 2023 GD Solitude 380FL R this Thursday?

Thanks in advance,
    Julie C.

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Julie C View Post
    We need tips!

What should we be on the lookout for / ask during the walkthrough for our 2023 GD Solitude 380FL R this Thursday?

Thanks in advance,
    Julie C.
    Look at everything!

Here are some inspection sheets, print a couple out that you like and take them with you and inspect
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...rms-(Multiple)
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This site is amazing! I am exploring the reference library

Thanks so much

Julie C.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We need tips!

Thanks in advance,
    Julie C.
    Boy, where do I start? Our inspection needed to be a little more meticulous as we purchased our 380FL-R from an RV dealer in San Bernardino and pulled it to the Pacific Northwest so taking it back for delivery tweaks wasn't an option. Also, we had kind of a unique situation. The 380FL-R was brand new and never used, but we were the second legal owner, more than one year after initial sale, so no GD warranty. As WhittleBurner wisely suggested, we read some inspection checklists before the dealer visit.

When we picked up the RV, I think the walkthrough took about 4 hours but that was mostly on me. I looked at everything. We went through the dealer's walkthrough, then I asked for more time to do some checking on our own. The dealer's people were great throughout the whole process. I climbed up on the roof to make sure there where no cracks or gaps in the sealant (there were). I had them hook up a hose to the city water inlet and checked all the faucets and shower for leaks. I started the water heater on propane and checked for warm water in a few minutes. Then I ran the hot water faucet in the kitchen until the water was cold again. Then I started the water heater on electric and checked for warm water in a few minutes. We put some water into the fresh water tank and checked pump operation to all of the faucets and shower, then checked the fresh water tank dump valve. As all of the waste tanks only had clean water, we were able to check all of the tank valves (dumped onto the tarmac). We looked for any leaks anywhere in the RV throughout this process.

We started the generator (if you have one built in). We started all the air conditioners to check for cold air. We started the furnace to check for warm air. We started the fireplace. We ran all of the slides out and in. We went though a hitching sequence and did the auto-level sequence. We opened and closed all of the baggage doors and checked all the locks. We made sure the refrigerator and freezer got cold. We open and closed all of the cabinet doors and drawers to make sure everyone worked. We tried the built-in vacuum. Turned all of the lights on and off. Heated water in the microwave. Tried all of the stove burners. I had a voltmeter and checked for battery voltage and battery charging. Checked the solar panel and controller for charging. We turned off shore power and checked that the inverter powered the refrigerator and outlets. I even asked the dealer for an auto creeper and rolled around underneath to check from front to back for any issues with special attention to the tires, brakes (disc), and suspension. We opened and closed all of the windows. We checked the outside for any dings or scratches. Basically, we moved, turned on or off, opened or closed, started or stopped, and looked at everything on the RV.

It took us half a day, we found very little to complain about, and left with a happy dealer and a happy buyer.

Good luck, have fun, and if your experience is like ours, you will be a "happy camper".
    2021 Solitude 380FL-R
    Ram 3500 MegaCab SB DRW

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We need tips!

Thanks in advance,
    Julie C.
    Lot of good tips from others. My 2 cents worth...insist on manuals for everything that is installed. Examples: Self leveling system, solar panels and converters, appliances, etc.. You will want reference documents once you complete your walkthrough and are left on your own.

You will want to know how to handle problems like, the slide out wont close, how do I manually close it. Or even simpler, How do I get to the spare tire?

I don't mean to scare you, but these are typically overlooked when on a walkthrough.

Documentation is usually very limited unless you specifically ask.
    2023 Solitude 310GK
    2016 Ford F250 SuperDuty w/Air Suspension Add-on
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Retired Electrical Engineer

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome!
    We hired an inspector, even for the brand new rig. No issues, but money well-spent for being a newbie:
    https://nrvia.org/locate/
    Colin & Tracy
    '21 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ/Z71/SRW, Long bed, Anderson UH
    '21 Solitude 310 GK-R

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just another perspective

I had zero interest in spending hours looking at stuff after a long drive to pick up my trailer

I might have spent 20 minutes just to make sure all the options were there
    Imo I wouldn’t fret it that much
    YMMV
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not doing a thorough PDI is foolish IMO. It can prevent many future, and present, headaches. Ours took about 5 hours, and we had about a half-dozen problems fixed that would have evolved into headaches at some point. But your trailer, your choice.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Along the line of research, have the dealer email you the build list and download any online manuals for the different devices that you can find.

It will give you a much better idea of what you are examining.
    2023 Reflection 315RLTS
    2017 Ford F-350 Crew Cab Short Bed SRW, 6.7L Diesel
    Hensley Swift Arrow

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as I'm concerned, most dealers have a 30/30 warranty, never mind what the manufacturer says. (For those who don't recognize it, a 30/30 warranty is what used car salesmen of old offered - 30 seconds or 30 feet, whichever came first.) If you have lithium batteries, make sure that you have a lithium-capable converter. Find out where the converter and inverter are located by actually looking at them. Make the dealer open up/remove all access panels so you can see what's behind them. Take lots of pictures. Make sure that there is a place for you to stay at least one night in the rig once all of the obvious things are either noted or fixed.
    David Lininger, kb0zke
    Rev. 2:10c
    2022 Reflection 315RLTS, 2016 F350 CC SRW King Ranch
    https://www.smugmug.com/app/organize/2022-315RLTS-Solar

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast