User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The trip from hell.

On our way to the GD rally in Grandy, CO., truck started to heat up. Lost rear hubcap that tire monitor was attached to, tire went flat. Got it fixed in Granby. Enjoyed the Rally. On to Strasburg KOA for family reunion. Truck still heating up. Had the thermostats replaced. After leaving, going up out of Denver, turbo hose blew off. Got it fixed for about 300 ft. Mobile Tech came by and fixed it, he followed us to Evergreen, hose came off before we got there. Tech found metal insert (in engine compartment) that was supposed to go inside hose. he put it in, glued it, clamped it and off we went. Got up Vale Pass, blew a coolant hose. Called Good Same for a tow, 5 hours later, we were towed into Glenwood Springs. This was Friday night. Motel let us park 5er there. Saturday morning, drove truck to Ford dealer, no mechanic on duty. Monday, they fixed two coolant tubes, replaced radiator cap also. Off we went. Just outside Glenwood, rear axle on 5er slipped backwards and trailer tried to lead us. Called Good Sam. 3 hours later tow showed up but could not get our truck (which had a flat tire on the front) and 5er on the flat bed. Tow truck driver was able to slide axle back into position and tighten the U bolts (all this while it was raining hard). He followed us all the way into Grand Junction (at 48 mph, about 80 miles). Fifth wheel trailer is at repair shop, truck is home with repaired wheel. Would have been cheaper to go on a cruise!
    2018 Solitude 375 RES 2022 F450 Powerstroke Dually

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In a year you will be laughing at this time.

Well maybe you won’t but maybe some of us will.

Sorry dude, as they say in Benghazi, Shiite happens.
    Randy and Kris

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, that's tough! So what was the actual issue with the truck blowing turbo and coolant hoses?
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ouch. Where do I sign up for the cruise
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, Dick - I'm so sorry! May I ask how many miles you have on the truck?

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all for the sympathy. Beats self-pity. Truck has 102,000 on it. Ford has a technical service bulletin on the turbo hose, and I did have it fixed about three years ago. I'm guessing the glue dried out. Have no idea why the coolant hoses went bad. The top one blew out a big hole and I did not know about the bottom one. Dealer ran a pressure test on it after replacing the upper one and discovered the second one. I'm afraid that our next trip (to Needles, CA) for the winter will be our last one. DW is really upset by this trip and so am I. I think that in April, 2023 we will put the truck and 5er up for sale and hang up our spurs. I'll make sure it is in the best shape we can get it in.
    2018 Solitude 375 RES 2022 F450 Powerstroke Dually

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dick answered my questions so deleting questions.

I hope that your trip to Needles CA is very enjoyable.
    Last edited by TimtheToolMan; 08-17-2022 at 08:34 PM.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The trip from hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Noble View Post
    On our way to the GD rally in Grandy, CO., truck started to heat up. Lost rear hubcap that tire monitor was attached to, tire went flat. Got it fixed in Granby. Enjoyed the Rally. On to Strasburg KOA for family reunion. Truck still heating up. Had the thermostats replaced. After leaving, going up out of Denver, turbo hose blew off. Got it fixed for about 300 ft. Mobile Tech came by and fixed it, he followed us to Evergreen, hose came off before we got there. Tech found metal insert (in engine compartment) that was supposed to go inside hose. he put it in, glued it, clamped it and off we went. Got up Vale Pass, blew a coolant hose. Called Good Same for a tow, 5 hours later, we were towed into Glenwood Springs. This was Friday night. Motel let us park 5er there. Saturday morning, drove truck to Ford dealer, no mechanic on duty. Monday, they fixed two coolant tubes, replaced radiator cap also. Off we went. Just outside Glenwood, rear axle on 5er slipped backwards and trailer tried to lead us. Called Good Sam. 3 hours later tow showed up but could not get our truck (which had a flat tire on the front) and 5er on the flat bed. Tow truck driver was able to slide axle back into position and tighten the U bolts (all this while it was raining hard). He followed us all the way into Grand Junction (at 48 mph, about 80 miles). Fifth wheel trailer is at repair shop, truck is home with repaired wheel. Would have been cheaper to go on a cruise!
    Hi Dick, that is certainly a lot to deal with on one trip! Glad you made it through and I hope the next one to Needles goes perfect!

Bill
    Last edited by Redapple63; 08-17-2022 at 08:53 PM.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The OPs experience would have been a sign to me and my wife (if it would have happened to us) to start finding a different mode of travel and adventure.... maybe one of those rent-a-trailers that they deliver it to the campground for you all setup like a turnkey stick built. Or, more trips to Maui, Caribbean, Bahamas, etc..
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That which doesn't kill us makes us stronger?

It can't get worse?

Glad you survived. Hope the wallet recovers soon!
    -Pam
    2019 GD Imagine 2600RB bought in 2022.
    towed by a 2019 Nissan NV 3500 Passenger van
    prior trailer: 2017 Coleman CTS16FB towed by a 2012 Kia Sedona, then the 2019 NV.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast