User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Samsung Residential Refrigerator Anomaly

So, my wife and I have a 2020 Solitude 382WB-R that we have owned since June of 2020. The "R" indicates residential refrigerator, which is the 110V Samsung that runs off of a 2000W inverter when on battery power.

We were on a month long trip recently from our home in Alabama to Elkhart and the UP of Michigan. On the return trip home, we stayed at a park that only had 30A service. It was hot, so I tried running one air conditioner and just the fan on the other AC. Blew the breaker at the pedestal, of course. Reset the breaker and killed the fan only AC.

The Samsung has a temperature display for the freezer and refrigerator sections on the inside upper frame that is visible when the doors are open. After the power outage, we opened the fridge doors and YIKES, the freezer was at 29, with the fridge at 58 or so. Wondering if the power outage had caused a malfunction in the refrigerator, I cycled the fridge breaker at the inside panel. Now the fridge temp is 78!

I didn't have a large cooler with me to save the food in the fridge, so off to the closest Wally World, which was about an hour round trip. When I got back, all was normal: -2 on the freezer, 38 on the fridge.

Inverter/battery problem? No, I checked my Victron when we arrived at the campground and was only down 21 Ah after a 6 hour trip. I have two new 6V GC batteries; 235 Ah, so OK there. Water levels were fine.

Long story short, it seems that even if the Samsung is at normal operating internal temperatures, when 110V power is removed and returned, the thermocouples/electronics reset and it takes some time for them to return to the actual temperature of the inside compartments.

I tested and verified this down the road. So if you remove shore power before turning the inverter on, or turn the inverter off before connecting to shore power, you will probably experience this anomaly. How we missed this in over two years of ownership is beyond me. I am only posting this so someone doesn't freak out if this happens to you.

Everything was fine the rest of the trip, inverter or shore power.
    2020 Solitude 382WB-R
    2020 F-350 Lariat CC DRW 6.7 Powerstroke

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info!
    I never touch ours…always leave the inverter on, so the fridge never sees an interruption.
    (Unless the batts go dead someday)
    Larry and JoAnna
    ‘23 Chevy 3500HD CCLB DRW High Country 6.6L Diesel, ‘22 Solitude 310GK-R, Hensley BD5
    MORRyde 8k IS, QD8000 Genny, Dual 5kVA Quattros
    Dual SOK 48V 100ah Server Rack Batts (10kWHr)

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's interesting - thanks. As an aside, one of the electrical/solar/battery experts on the forum just posted about 6V golf car batteries in series. When batteries are connected in series, it doubles the voltage, but the Ah rating stays the same as one battery. It does not double. In parallel, the voltage stays the same and the Ah rating doubles. In addition, lead-acid batteries can only be discharged to about 50% before they start heading for the door. I'm just passing on information from someone more knowledgeable than me...

https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/tex...ur%20capacity.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015