User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Free Standing Table Came Loose

We have a 2022 303 RLS. It has a free standing table which is screwed into the floor. The table along with the theater seats are in a slide out where the floor of the slide out is flush with the main floor of the unit when the slide out is extended. The four screws holding the table in place ripped out while traveling. We were fortunate the table did not hit the large window by the table and break the window. It appears the floor of the slide out flexes a lot when the slide out is retracted for travel, so much that it pulled the screws out of the floor. Has anyone else has this issue and if so how did you correct it? I tapped some dowels into the holes the screws were in and reattached the table, but is came loose again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20220804_100238.jpg  

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jgfprralt View Post
    We have a 2022 303 RLS. It has a free standing table which is screwed into the floor. The table along with the theater seats are in a slide out where the floor of the slide out is flush with the main floor of the unit when the slide out is extended. The four screws holding the table in place ripped out while traveling. We were fortunate the table did not hit the large window by the table and break the window. It appears the floor of the slide out flexes a lot when the slide out is retracted for travel, so much that it pulled the screws out of the floor. Has anyone else has this issue and if so how did you correct it? I tapped some dowels into the holes the screws were in and reattached the table, but is came loose again.
    Wow, I agree that you were fortunate that the loose table didn't do more damage. We don't have that coach, so I can't comment directly, but have you considered other ways to secure the table while traveling until you are able to find a more permanent solution? Have you reached out to GD Customer Service yet? Often they will authorize a mobile tech who could do repairs on your site.

BTW, it looks like you're new here, welcome to the forum.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Soundsailor - thanks for the response. I have contacted Grand Design customer service. Their response was

"The floor/table will have to be diagnosed by a tech before I can answer your question. We’ve not been told about an “issue” with other floors so there isn’t a “fix” already set by our engineering/production teams."

In the meantime we are turning the table upside-down for travel since the table surface is much larger than the footprint of the legs. If there was a force violent enough for the legs to hit the window we would probably have other damage to the unit. There are a few other things where I will probably be taking the unit back to the dealer so will see what they say. I thought of putting something up through the bottom of the floor from the exterior of the slide out, but would have to be very careful nothing protruded that could damage the main floor of the unit when the slide is retracted.

And yes, am new the forum. Signed up to see if anyone else has reported an issue like this. To me is seems like the root cause is the amount the floor of the slide flexes when retracted for travel. Since it fits flush with the main floor when extended there is no reinforcement along the edge or under the floor. When the slide is retracted you can easily flex the floor by pressing on it with just one or two fingers. The legs of the table attached to the pedestal are very rigid, the floor bows underneath the legs and in time it pulls the screws out. Forgot to mention, the theater seats are in the same slide. The head of one of the screws holding the theater seats actually snapped off before the screw pulled out of the floor.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jgfprralt View Post
    Soundsailor - thanks for the response. I have contacted Grand Design customer service. Their response was

"The floor/table will have to be diagnosed by a tech before I can answer your question. We’ve not been told about an “issue” with other floors so there isn’t a “fix” already set by our engineering/production teams."

In the meantime we are turning the table upside-down for travel since the table surface is much larger than the footprint of the legs. If there was a force violent enough for the legs to hit the window we would probably have other damage to the unit. There are a few other things where I will probably be taking the unit back to the dealer so will see what they say. I thought of putting something up through the bottom of the floor from the exterior of the slide out, but would have to be very careful nothing protruded that could damage the main floor of the unit when the slide is retracted.

And yes, am new the forum. Signed up to see if anyone else has reported an issue like this. To me is seems like the root cause is the amount the floor of the slide flexes when retracted for travel. Since it fits flush with the main floor when extended there is no reinforcement along the edge or under the floor. When the slide is retracted you can easily flex the floor by pressing on it with just one or two fingers. The legs of the table attached to the pedestal are very rigid, the floor bows underneath the legs and in time it pulls the screws out. Forgot to mention, the theater seats are in the same slide. The head of one of the screws holding the theater seats actually snapped off before the screw pulled out of the floor.
    Definitely sounds like a warranty issue, hope your dealer can help you.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a '21 303RLS. The table sits on a carpet floor. Around 10K miles towing since we purchased it new. No issues with th table. No movement at the table base. Push Grand Design to authorize a mobile tech to evaluate and correct the issue. It's a safety issue. Broken window when the trailer is moving. Hot pot of whatever spills on your lap because the table tips over. Just keep pushing them until they recognize the correct answer. I’m confident that GD will support you in fixing this properly.
    Ken & Tammy
    Union Valley, TX
    2021 GD Reflection 303RLS 5th Wheel
    2019 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4x4

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like Grand Design is declining to take any action. They are also not accepting there is a design issue without a tech looking at the trailer, but they are not sending a tech. Fortunately, the dealer is supporting what they have sold. The fifth wheel will be going in for servicing one week from today.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Casa_Woody View Post
    We have a '21 303RLS. The table sits on a carpet floor. Around 10K miles towing since we purchased it new. No issues with th table. No movement at the table base. Push Grand Design to authorize a mobile tech to evaluate and correct the issue. It's a safety issue. Broken window when the trailer is moving. Hot pot of whatever spills on your lap because the table tips over. Just keep pushing them until they recognize the correct answer. I’m confident that GD will support you in fixing this properly.
    Ours also sits in the on carpet. Our never came out but did loosen and caught it before it broke loose. Tighter then and new issues after.

Maybe you can glue a threaded bushing into the floor and supplement with some double sided tape?

Bill
    Last edited by Redapple63; 09-09-2022 at 09:34 PM.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would look to see how thick the wood floor is. I suspect it is not very thick. If it is, I suspect the screws were over tighten and were somewhat stripped. If the floor is thin, then threaded inserts would be something I would look into. Maybe even a metal/wood spacer between the floor and table. That way the spacer could be secured by more than 4 screws that hold the table.

If I recall, that flooring material is just laid on, no glue. Not certain why double sided tape would help in that situation.
    Last edited by Butcher; 09-27-2022 at 10:49 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just had this problem on our 2022 337RLS with vinyl flooring. Found the table completely loose with all screws out. We have the same table as the OP. The floor is unsupported when the slide is in and flexes a lot going down the road. I think the combination of the heavy table, vinyl floor, and the floor flex contributes to the problem. The screws do not go into the floor very far. I tried reinstalling the screws, two with toothpicks to get them to grab, and the table pulled all the screws out again in 400 miles. So far no broken window!

I am going to try a couple different things to correct this issue. First slightly larger (not longer) screws along with some non slip under the legs. I am also going to place a couple of fabric covered boards under the floor edge to support the middle of the slide when retracted to stop some of the flexing. Hopefully this will solve the problem.
    Tony
    2022 Reflection 337RLS
    2022 Ford F350 6.7

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tony,

Sounds like you have exactly the same problem. The flexing during travel certainly does not help but on closer inspection I found the floor has a permanent sag in it. The worst part of the sag is directly under the table and it looks to be enough that it pulled the screws out. It now looks like the root cause is the OSB used in the floor of the slide is not strong enough to support the weight of people sitting at the table and also sitting in the theater seats. The floor is of the slide is about 3 feet by 11 feet and and the OSB has no support underneath. The OSB is not strong enough to take that kind of weight without sagging. The sag under the table is over 1/8 of an inch, which is enough to loosen the screws. (Please see the attached photos taken from under the slide.) Also, you can see the bottom of the slide is scraping on something when the slide is extended and retracted. It does not appear to be scraping on the vinyl floor. The scraping could eventually weaken the OSB even more if it starts to wear away. I took the unit back to the dealer and he immediately saw the problem and contacted Grand Design. At first Grand Design was not willing to acknowledge that there is a problem and refused to do anything. The dealer contacted them a second time and was apparently much more forceful this time around. Grand Design has agreed to replace the floor, but the concern of the dealer is that in another six months or a year we will be right back where we are now since Grand Design will not approve any engineering changes. Incidentally, the RV dealer has seen this type of issue on other units, both Grand Design and several other manufacturers. Will keep you posted, but at this point between this and several other issues with the unit I am not impressed with how Grand Design is standing behind their product. Customer testimonies is one of the big reasons we chose Grand Design, but I have not seen that level of support.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scrape Marks on Slide.jpg   Floor Sag 2.jpg   Floor Sag 1.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast