User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GE 12 Volt Fridge Freezing up

Hello Newbie here, My wife and I purchased a 2022 Imagine 2400BH this year and love it. The issue we are having is the fridge is freezing up at the back wall and freezing all of our fruits and veggies. The ice build up is pretty bad after a weekend trip it can get 3/4 inch thick. I have tried lowering the temp but that doesn't help ice still forms. Wondering if this is normal (I hope not) and if anyone has had this issue and has resolved it. Any help is much appreciated.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Suggest the dollar bill test on the door seal. Slide the George W behind the door gasket. It should not be easy to slide about. If it is then moist air may be invading your fridge and the water might be freezing. I put some electrical tape on my fridge to help close the gap. Just my 2 cents.
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey NG101, same here.... shouldn't be normal.

I have been told by the dealer that if you "over pack it", it doesn't work well and could develop ice in the back, doesn't explain freezing food but hey, what do I know. No matter what we did with the thermostat, either frozen food in the refer or melted ice cream.

Last trip in, the dealer found the back of the refrig had been damaged prior to install so the fan wasn't working, the compressor ran all the time. It ran so much the last tech who found the issue said he also found burned and melted parts in the back

Good news, a new fridge arrived yesterday at the dealer......................... freight damaged it with a fork lift. Back in line waiting on another unit

Going camping for 2 weeks tomorrow and will be working out of a cooler, not ideal but working remote is better than working from home

Good luck
    Rick
    2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
    2022 Imagine 2500RL

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernglamper101 View Post
    Hello Newbie here, My wife and I purchased a 2022 Imagine 2400BH this year and love it. The issue we are having is the fridge is freezing up at the back wall and freezing all of our fruits and veggies. The ice build up is pretty bad after a weekend trip it can get 3/4 inch thick. I have tried lowering the temp but that doesn't help ice still forms. Wondering if this is normal (I hope not) and if anyone has had this issue and has resolved it. Any help is much appreciated.
    First off @Northernglamper101, looks like you're new here, welcome to the forum. What happens when you run the frig empty? And, as others have said, the seals would be the next thing I'd look at. There have been quite a few refrigerator threads on the forum, have you done a search?
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for your replies. To answer your questions here we go:
    it happens when the fridge is empty or full, if I turn on the fridge I notice condensation/water droplets on the back wall. that will eventually freeze and this happens if I'm stationary or traveling. We don't over pack the fridge as we typically do weekend trips and if we do a longer trip we plan on having a couple of days of fresh food with us and shop when we need more. And all the food we load is cold to begin with. I will try the dollar bill test next time I am at the storage location and see what does feels like.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This search link might help.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Happy to report that our new Furrion 12v fridge is working fantastic, as designed... Fridge stays between 36-40 degrees and no more frozen food

The wife packed this thing to the gills, no issues at all

We have been on the road now for 2 weeks, eaten out only 4 times and we are just now talking about going shopping tomorrow or monday

Rick
    2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
    2022 Imagine 2500RL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are on our 4th fridge since purchasing our Outback in 2021. It still ices up. We have come to the conclusion that it is just a poorly made refrigerator. If we have to purchase another one we will not be getting a GE.
    Our old camper had a Whirlpool and it was awesome!! That will be what I will go with.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grand Design makes an Outback? I thought those were Keystone?
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are correct but the fridge was what I was commenting on, I wanted to let you all know I have a Keystone but it’s the fridge that’s the issue. Sorry about that😂

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast