User Tag List

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been reading the thread, all good information. I don't know if my Champion 2500W Dual Fuel Inverter will run my Coleman Mach 8 AC unit. No soft start yet. I think I will try it out this weekend and see if the Generator will handle the ac start.
    John and Lori
    2018 XLT 2.7l
    2021 Imagine 22mle

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reading all of this got me to thinking. If I installed the easy starts on all 3 of my Coleman Mach 5, 15K ACs, would my Onan 5.5 have enough power to run all of them at once?
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    Reading all of this got me to thinking. If I installed the easy starts on all 3 of my Coleman Mach 5, 15K ACs, would my Onan 5.5 have enough power to run all of them at once?
    My 5500W Onan will run all three of mine.....2 are the 15K BTU and the third one, in the garage area is a 13.5K BTU. Normally, when the breaker panel is wire from the factory, a 15 and a 13.5 are on one side of the breaker panel feed (call it phase A) and the other 15K is on the other side (call it Phase b)

And as a side note, I do NOT have soft starts on any of them.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya know, it would make life easier if all the a.c. manufactures installed soft-starts at the factory. Would only be a few bucks for them. Would be a great selling point. I would pay the extra.
    2015 Solitude 320x
    2023 GMC 3500HD SRW Duramax long box
    B&W companion hitch non-slider

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    My 5500W Onan will run all three of mine.....2 are the 15K BTU and the third one, in the garage area is a 13.5K BTU. Normally, when the breaker panel is wire from the factory, a 15 and a 13.5 are on one side of the breaker panel feed (call it phase A) and the other 15K is on the other side (call it Phase b)

And as a side note, I do NOT have soft starts on any of them.
    I never tried to run all three on generator. During PDI we were told only 2 would work. Time for an experiment

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you try it, be sure to keep an eye on running voltage, as well as start-up amperage. Don't want to run with low voltage.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    If you try it, be sure to keep an eye on running voltage, as well as start-up amperage. Don't want to run with low voltage.
    I could turn the convertor off and the inverter on to help out the situation. My inverter powers the fridge, microwave and most if not all of the general outlets.
    In just about any scenario the solar and/or batteries should be capable of doing it

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbug View Post
    As I understand it, household electrical systems can handle the excess surge required on startup, but it's more of a challenge for generators and can certainly pop breakers on 15 or 20 amp circuits depending on what else might be connected and running on that circuit. Maybe someone with more expertise can confirm and explain it for both of us.
    This is correct. The generator starting or surge rating is the maximum power the generator is capable of producing without excessive voltage reduction. No matter how brief the demand, the generator will not provide more power.

Utility service could potentially provide many times the rated current for relatively long times. It’s mostly limited by voltage drop in the wiring. Breakers used in consumer service don’t respond instantly to a moderate overload because they operate on heat.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    Soft starts are basically a VFD.....Variable Frequency Drive. All of those types of motors (along with everything else in the U.S. runs on 60 cycle power. The VFD has the ability to change that frequency to a lower number, say 25 cycles to start with, then ramp it up over time to 60 cycles. The result of that is the motor starting at say 25 cycles is that it pulls a lot less current on start up. The VFD for the A/C units are generally not adjustable as far as ramp up time, where in an industrial environment, there are many settings to be able to get the motor to perform at whatever parameters are needed....speed control, power consumption, etc.
    I’ve never had a scope on one of the RV models, but I’d always assumed they used a thyristor to gradually increase the width of the near peak portions of the voltage rather than using a VFD. That’s the way we drove motors on tracking radars and I never figured there was a need for a more complicated setup on an air conditioner.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    Inrush or LRA is a real thing and pain in the... When ever we have a Data Center that crashes and comes back up, some of our safety breakers will trip. Especially in the high density computing racks. Grrr. Just to much current at once from multiple devices.
    My question which is kind of spinning off is, is the Bluetooth feature worth it? I was hoping to get my Microair with BT before my next trip but they are still back ordered unless I pay a hefty fee. I can however get a softstart for a little less. But the geek in me wants to see the numbers. Lol
    Well, the bluetooth version is only worth if you are a geek. I have issues with checking my Victron app, EasyStart app, One Control app, etc... What I like about the EasyStart app is that you can see the numbers as it is running and during the learn process. Without it, I wouldn't have understood what it is doing. Otherwise, it certainly is not critical. I wish it had more data in the app and I wish it could be viewed while the compressor is not running. So that's one thing to be aware of, the only time you can view it is when the compressor is active. And it displays amperage such as "last start amps" and current "run amperage", but it doesn't list voltage, which is odd. I would prefer to have one with it than not, but it won't blow your socks off.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast