User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Other than keep them clean, they require no maintenance. The lubing problem is the dirt/dust clinging to track/gears. Most lubes will attract something, dri-lubes obviously less so. With how slow these slides move, lube is unnecessary. Same for the seals. If you don't like the slide seals squeaking as the slide moves in or out, something like armourall will get rid of it.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    I have never put anything on my Schwintek slide in 3 years
    I keep the track clean and have had zero issue
    Guess I am crawling under the TT to see what I got.
    Upstate NY
    2022 Ford F150 with trailer tow package
    2022 Transcend Xplor 231rk
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it possible that people tended to use the wrong lubricant which attracted dirt and caused more problems, so Lippert decided to just tell people not to use anything? I mean slow moving or not, it's still metal on metal so one would think the right lubricant would be better than none for longevity?
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by docque View Post
    You likely have a rack and pinion. Don’t believe it is Schwintek so you will have to lube it
    I don’t have that type so can’t help
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbug View Post
    Is it possible that people tended to use the wrong lubricant which attracted dirt and caused more problems, so Lippert decided to just tell people not to use anything? I mean slow moving or not, it's still metal on metal so one would think the right lubricant would be better than none for longevity?
    From what I have gathered GD (owners manual) is the only one to say lube it.
    I will follow what I have been doing and keeping it clean but lube free
    As stated above it moves so slowly
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    You likely have a rack and pinion. Don’t believe it is Schwintek so you will have to lube it
    I don’t have that type so can’t help
    Wife has the GD owners manual and it states to not lube it at all. Only clean.
    Upstate NY
    2022 Ford F150 with trailer tow package
    2022 Transcend Xplor 231rk
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want to see if it's a Schwintek, no need to crawl under the slide, just look on the side of the slide when it's open. There will be racks top and bottom on both sides.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wife has the GD owners manual and it states to not lube it at all. Only clean.
    The owners manual is very generic. It covers all slide types and to be quite honest I don’t trust GD

Determine your slide type. From pics I do not see the side rails on the slide ruling out a Schwintek

Go to the LCI website , not GD and see what they maintenance is on a rack and pinion slide
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbug View Post
    I'm pretty sure a lot of ownwers have caused their own greif by lubing. I've had rack/pinion slides for 25+ years and never lubed, only kept clean and never had issues - ever. I may have been lucky?....... we had a 40' precision lathe at work that used a gear mesh system and the German supplier said not to lube it either.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    I'm pretty sure a lot of ownwers have caused their own greif by lubing. I've had rack/pinion slides for 25+ years and never lubed, only kept clean and never had issues - ever. I may have been lucky?....... we had a 40' precision lathe at work that used a gear mesh system and the German supplier said not to lube it either.
    That's good to know. We were hesitant about a slide unit but they are pretty common these days. I haven't lubed mine yet so maybe I'll just stick to keeping it clean too. Just seems logical that one would want to lube these things but goes to show I don't know everything or anything.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast