Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Compass Connect relocating module and adding dimmers

I've posted in a few threads regarding this but wanted to capture all in one place. This all started as simply wanting to add dimmers to the living and awning lights. The project mushroomed significantly (as most of mine do).

My Compass Connect control module was located in a cubby just inside my doorway and behind the TV. In earlier models, this was a very large storage space. However when GD added Compass Connect, they cut this cubby in half with some framing and a panel so they could mount the control module.

First, the final result...this is the cubby with a motion sensor light. The light covers a hole in the ceiling through which all of the Compass Connect wiring entered. Look closely and you'll see the access panel that covers the hole that I cut in the side wall to access the space between the TV and the cubby.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20220704_154509360.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	100.2 KB 
ID:	42603

This is where I placed the dimmers. They are mounted in the space between the TV and the cubby.

Name:	PXL_20211006_232028027.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	92.5 KB 
ID:	42608

[Continued]
    James and Dawn
    2019 F150 SCREW 3.5EB 6.5' - Haloview MC7109; Cooper AT3 LTX; Sumo Springs; ProPride WDH

2021 Imagine 2400BH - GY Endurance 225/75-15; MORryde CRE3000, HD shackles and wet bolts, X-factor crossmembers

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Compass Connect relocating module and adding dimmers (cont'd)

Now, I'll do my best to document the process here...First, this is what the Compass Connect control module looked like once I removed the panel that was covering it. Note that all of the wires go up through a hole in the ceiling (covered by the light in the final picture). If all you want to do is add dimmers, you'll simply remove the lighting control wires from this control module and put a high-side dimmer between the module and the wire (module -> dimmer -> light).

Name:	PXL_20210818_161136405.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	42609

I wanted to mount the dimmers above the Compass Connect panel so needed to gain access to the space behind the TV. It was a tough decision, but I finally decided to cut a 8x8 hole that could be concealed by a plumbing access panel. After cutting the hole...

Name:	PXL_20210818_003430104.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	67.8 KB 
ID:	42610

Selfie view (looking backward) of space between TV and cubby looking at the back of the Compass Connect panel...

Name:	PXL_20210818_003448980.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	42611

Forward view of space between TV and cubby (note that the wires go up into a hole in the ceiling)...

Name:	PXL_20210818_003545043.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	42612

At this point, I had access to the space where I wanted to mount the dimmers and planned to simply run the wires to/from the Compass Connect control module. Then it occurred to me that there is enough space behind the TV to mount the control module...hmmm...

[continued]
    James and Dawn
    2019 F150 SCREW 3.5EB 6.5' - Haloview MC7109; Cooper AT3 LTX; Sumo Springs; ProPride WDH

2021 Imagine 2400BH - GY Endurance 225/75-15; MORryde CRE3000, HD shackles and wet bolts, X-factor crossmembers

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Compass Connect relocating module and adding dimmers (cont'd)

If you know me, you'll know that the first thing I did at this point was vacuum out the space between TV and cubby. There is a LOT of sawdust left in these things after construction, and it's my mission to remove as much as possible.

After that, I took pictures...LOTS of pictures...of the wiring for the Compass Connect module. I then labeled each wire...and took more pictures. Once satisfied I could put it all back together, I disconnected all wires from the Compass Connect module. (I feel compelled to say that this should all be done AFTER disconnecting power and making sure there is no current. Be safe!)

The Compass Connect wires all pass over the space behind the TV. So I was able to easily (relatively) pull the wire bundle into the space by reaching through the access panel hole and into the ceiling. See the picture below that is of the hole in the ceiling behind the TV...this is the hole that I reached "into" to grab the wire bundle and pull into into this space. (You can see the edge of the access hole in the bottom right of the picture.)

Name:	PXL_20220704_144449839.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	42613

So after pulling these wires into this space, I reattached them to the Compass Connect module. This is when I wired the dimmers in the circuit...

Dimmer power in -> Control module
    Dimmer power out -> lights (wire disconnected from Control)
    Dimmer neg -> Control Neg post (bottom left of box)

NOTE: there are mounting screws for the TV that protruded into this space. To prevent any damage to the Compass Connect module, I used some thick insulating foam tape to create cushion for the module.

Name:	PXL_20210820_034250135.jpg 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	42614

Please ignore the wiring rats nest. I would typically organize and dress these wires but working in this space was challenging so I just did the best I could.

I then painted the access panel and placed it over the access hole.

Name:	PXL_20210820_034155680_resized.jpg 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	42624

(This one effin' picture continues to rotate no matter what I do to correct. It's absolutely maddening but leaving as-is for the moment.)

All in all, I'm very happy to have reclaimed some storage space and have the ability to dim the lights. We do get a little whine from the Compass Connect module when we dim the living lights. This does not happen with the awning lights. I might try to troubleshoot at some point, but it's hardly noticeable with the TV or A/C running.

The motion light was installed to help with seeing inside the deep cubby. It was also installed to cover the hole in the ceiling. I pulled new +/- wiring through the ceiling, through the space behind the TV, and down through a hole I drilled behind the radio. I was able to tap the radio + and - for power for the light.

Parts:

Plumbing access panel: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Oatey-Sprin...-in/1001312704

Dimmers: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Motion Light: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Last edited by jproctor9; 08-19-2022 at 10:03 PM.
    James and Dawn