User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy Shade came off roller

Hi folks!

Not on here usually unless we have a problem to research. We have a 2021 260RD and have (unfortunately) only gotten to camp a handful of times since getting it in Nov/2020 so it's had very little wear & tear.

I went in to clean it up for an upcoming trip - yay! - and realized that the long shade (almost 6 feet?) behind the sofa was laying on the floor. We'd been keeping the blinds closed against the sun and that side faces east only getting sun after 9:30 or so and then only until 11:30ish - though it does heat up since we don't have a cover. It appears that the "fabric" was only flimsily attached to the roller with a very thin line of either glue or a two-sided tape (and it wasn't very sticky - no residue on the fabric). We had it extended just to the bottom of the window frame so it should have had enough fabric on the roller to hold it in place. I have contacted the dealer (Lazy Days) and they have put in a recall check with GD. I really don't want to have to do 3 x 2-hour drives back and forth to Knoxville for something this seemingly simple.

Has anyone else had this problem? Since we are out of warranty, is it a known/recall item? Will it be something we can easily repair ourselves if it isn't a GD issue?

Thanks for any suggestions or remedies!

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally would just put up a curtain
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it is fabric on a cardboard roller you could use brush on contact cement. You only get one shot with that stuff so have a guideline drawn. But it works well.
    Randy and Kris

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Likely commom with those shades. I have a friend who has a 341rds and the shade fell off the roller the first week. He taped it back on and went about his day, you have to take the valance off to fix it.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Randy - I may have to do that. Would that work if the roller is metal (it appears to be)? This is one of those soft close type - rolls up with a little tug. Will I have to "reset" anything?

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good question on metal. I did a copper bar counter top on plywood with some industrial contact cement and it worked. Not sure. The tape may get you there as well. A good duct tape?

Good luck
    Randy and Kris

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Search YouTube for slow rise window shade repair. You'll find lots of helpful videos there even for the specific problem you have.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At the recent Colorado GD owners rally there was a company by the name of ShadeSmith specializing in roller shades. Bet he can steer you in the right direction. Scott Smith 714-345-6144 www.shadesmithCA.com.
    2021 Reflection 31MB
    2022 Cougar Half Ton 29RLI
    2023 RAM Laramie 2500 Crew Cab CTD 4X4
    Demco Slider Hitch, MorRyde Pin Box

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all the good suggestions! One more question on this...

Is there not any way to (at best) remove the roller from the ends - plastic that seems different on each end - of the unit or (at least) remove the roller unit without taking off the valance? It has 3 metal brackets mounted to the valance top/ceiling with a "tab" on each that protrudes.

Quote Originally Posted by mtns4mama View Post
    Hi folks!

Not on here usually unless we have a problem to research. We have a 2021 260RD and have (unfortunately) only gotten to camp a handful of times since getting it in Nov/2020 so it's had very little wear & tear.

I went in to clean it up for an upcoming trip - yay! - and realized that the long shade (almost 6 feet?) behind the sofa was laying on the floor. We'd been keeping the blinds closed against the sun and that side faces east only getting sun after 9:30 or so and then only until 11:30ish - though it does heat up since we don't have a cover. It appears that the "fabric" was only flimsily attached to the roller with a very thin line of either glue or a two-sided tape (and it wasn't very sticky - no residue on the fabric). We had it extended just to the bottom of the window frame so it should have had enough fabric on the roller to hold it in place. I have contacted the dealer (Lazy Days) and they have put in a recall check with GD. I really don't want to have to do 3 x 2-hour drives back and forth to Knoxville for something this seemingly simple.

Has anyone else had this problem? Since we are out of warranty, is it a known/recall item? Will it be something we can easily repair ourselves if it isn't a GD issue?

Thanks for any suggestions or remedies!

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes you can press those tabs but they are tough. I removed the valance and worked the shade. Was afraid I might loosen those brackets and then the shade wouldn’t be tight. The screws are a #2 square drive and you’ll need a fairly long extension. Not to hard.
    Randy and Kris