User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2017 Slide out stuck after being in storage for 2.5 years (pictures / fix)

I meant to say this is a 2017 Imagine 2600RB. I just wanted to share this story and some pictures. Some background, I last used my camper in January 2020, emptied it out and put it in storage in February. My use case is basically I go to festivals and Burns, all of which are cancelled for basically next 2 years after I put in storage. I'm getting ready now for the 4K mile journey to and from Burning Man with some sight seeing on the side, and go to clean RV and check all the things, replace the battery etc a couple weeks before leaving. Get to where I'm going, slide out won't come out. I reset the slide out control, put it on shore power, etc. No dice.

There is an error code on the slide controller, I look it up. 1 green blink, with 8 red blinks = loss of communication or short to slide motor1. Great, OK, which is slide motor1 is the next question? On my 2600RB it was the motor by the bedroom. Basically was able to figure this out with help of someone listening to see which motor was engaging.

Long story short, the place I pay to store puts it in an open lot. It's a dealership, there are very limited storage option around where I live in Austin. Real-estate is basically insane here now. Long story short: water got into the motor. The motors on this year are unsealed, ostensibly to aid in cooling, but who cares about cooling when you run them for like 30-seconds max at a time? People aren't typically just taking the slide out in and out over and over. Newer slide motors are sealed, and so that's what I replaced it with. Note it was challenging to get to the motor by the bedroom while the slide was in, I had to remove the side window on the slide out to crawl through. With another person I was able to get the slide to budge enough to get to where the slide motor was. The trick was basically getting enough room to remove it.

Old:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	old_slide1.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	98.8 KB 
ID:	42632

Name:	old_slide2.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	42633

New:

Name:	new_slide1.jpg 
Size:	93.8 KB 
ID:	42634

Anyway, I hope this helps someone else. Newer slide motors are sealed. My RV may have not been storage level when they moved it for storage, and water eventually worked through the seals.
    Last edited by JR the Burner; 08-20-2022 at 10:53 AM.
    2015 JayCo Jay Flight Swift 238RB (totaled, bent frame 2" in 2017)
    2017 Grand Design Imagine 2600RB w/ MORryde CRE3000
    2005 Dodge Durango Limited 5.7L 4x4 - Monroe Load Adjusting Rear Struts, Bilstein 4600 front struts, Andersen hitch, AirLift 1000 Rear

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JR the Burner View Post
    I meant to say this is a 2017 Imagine 2600RB. I just wanted to share this story and some pictures. Some background, I last used my camper in January 2020, emptied it out and put it in storage in February. My use case is basically I go to festivals and Burns, all of which are cancelled for basically next 2 years after I put in storage. I'm getting ready now for the 4K mile journey to and from Burning Man with some sight seeing on the side, and go to clean RV and check all the things, replace the battery etc a couple weeks before leaving. Get to where I'm going, slide out won't come out. I reset the slide out control, put it on shore power, etc. No dice.

There is an error code on the slide controller, I look it up. 1 green blink, with 8 red blinks = loss of communication or short to slide motor1. Great, OK, which is slide motor1 is the next question? On my 2600RB it was the motor by the bedroom. Basically was able to figure this out with help of someone listening to see which motor was engaging.

Long story short, the place I pay to store puts it in an open lot. It's a dealership, there are very limited storage option around where I live in Austin. Real-estate is basically insane here now. Long story short: water got into the motor. The motors on this year are unsealed, ostensibly to aid in cooling, but who cares about cooling when you run them for like 30-seconds max at a time? People aren't typically just taking the slide out in and out over and over. Newer slide motors are sealed, and so that's what I replaced it with. Note it was challenging to get to the motor by the bedroom while the slide was in, I had to remove the side window on the slide out to crawl through. With another person I was able to get the slide to budge enough to get to where the slide motor was. The trick was basically getting enough room to remove it.

Old:

Name:	old_slide1.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	98.8 KB 
ID:	42632

Name:	old_slide2.jpg 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	42633

New:

Name:	new_slide1.jpg 
Size:	93.8 KB 
ID:	42634

Anyway, I hope this helps someone else. Newer slide motors are sealed. My RV may have not been storage level when they moved it for storage, and water eventually worked through the seals.
    Thanks for posting this, it may well save someone time and trouble. So glad you were able to fix this in time to enjoy your camping plans.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S