User Tag List

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My experience: Campground wiring and Progressive Industries EMS

Finally have time to sit down and share my experience last month with campground electric and my EMS. Hopefully it helps someone someday. I learned a lot from this experience. I have a Progressive Industries hardwired EMS (50 amp not sure of model) that has worked flawlessly (so I thought) since I installed new in April 2020.

We booked a whole month at a local campground to be able to get the Grandkids out camping with us and some R&R. Everything went as expected while hooking up on day one (Thursday). Campground had all new electric put in over the winter (as evidenced by the shoddy construction grade grading). No errors initially on EMS. Early Friday afternoon, the power shut off. I thought it was a power outage. When it kicked back on I heard the beep which led me to investigate and realize it was the EMS. Low voltage Line 1. Didn't think much of it, it was my first experience with any electrical issues. Voltage readings were around 110-112. A few hours later it kicked off again. I immediately got up and checked the EMS and it was reading 105 volts on L1 and 125 on L2. Now I know there's a problem. So I get out my meter and go check the pedestal. I checked the pedestal first, then female end of my cord with it plugged in, this way I knew my cord was good. I was getting 120 on L1 and 130 on L2. Didn't think much of it (even though I should have). Contacted maintenance and they came out. Maintenance checked the connections in the pedestal and didn't seem to have an answer. The problem of low voltage continued all weekend. I figured I could run my front A/C off Line 2. My fridge was on auto, I switched to gas, along with my HWT. My hope was I would be able to keep the rig cool with the one smaller A/C. Well, it kept shutting off. This time is was Line 2. It went back and forth between L1 and L2 basically the whole month. Maintenance was hinting like it was my EMS initially. I took my meter home to check it on my house to make sure my meter was good. Reading of 121 at home so I thought it was good. Back to the rig. I had the wife confirm the readings on the remote display. They were off. By a lot (So I thought). 10 volts. Now I take off the cover of my EMS to check the readings there, since I wasn't happy with what I got at the end of the cord. Readings still off. A little side note...access for calibrating was a pain. Six little screws holding the top on in a very tight space with limited access and a quagmire of wire, plumbing, HVAC...ugh. Drop one screw and it could bounce right down into the underbelly.

I contacted Progressive and they were helpful. They emailed me directions on how to calibrate the unit. Calibrate the unit? Didn't even know that was an option. I calibrated the unit. Now I start getting high voltage shutdowns. Not as often but they were happening.

Fast forward a week. New neighbor. He had an EMS and was having the same problems. Low voltage. I let him use my meter and the readings were off by around 5 volts from the readings he was getting on his EMS. Hmmm. Maybe his EMS needs calibrating too. He was local as well and came back with his own meter and confirmed his meter readings were the same as his EMS readings. My meter is (was) a 25 year old Craftsman meter. Served me well over the years so I thought. I decide to spend a few bucks and buy a new Klein meter. Took all new readings and ended up calibrating again. My new meter was reading 5 volts lower than the old one. Ultimately, the EMS did need calibration, but not as much adjustment as I first gave it. Now the low voltage shutdowns started again. Back to running refer and HWT on propane.

Eventually the campground admitted they were having problems with their new installation. At one point early on, they had a temporary wire run in conduit across the road. They said a wire had broke. They had electricians coming to fix it on Monday. The electricians did show up, but never got it fixed. Campground also filled my propane before I left. They were very friendly and apologetic, but it's July. Should have been fixed sooner. They said they would credit me a week for my trouble. That was 3 weeks and a phone call ago. Still no credit.

Hoping this helps someone understand their EMS system better, or even gets someone to go out and get one. Everyone around me with the exception of a few had no clue they were running on low voltage.
    Jeff & Sherry
    2020 Imagine 2670MK
    2019 F150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4,
    HDPP, Max Tow, 6.5, ProPride

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have been at this a good bit now and have seen some real good pedestals and then some horrible ones. For the most part the voltages have been acceptable but it is the condition of the receptacles. In Austin at Sun we had a 30 amp receptacle totally burned out. Showed the park maintenance and they were ho-hum. We just used the 50-30 we carry. Biggest point to take away is have that DVM with you. It is such a useful tool to troubleshoot and verify your equipment or show the park their deficiency. Thanks for the post.
    Randy and Kris

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is common with some older parks. If they havent upgraded their electrical system for higher loads, the low voltages will occur. Just changing out the wiring isnt enough. All these campers with multiple ACs is much more load than old parks were designed to handle. Another good reason to have an EMS. Run your AC on low voltage for long enough and it can damage the compressor.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McDugals View Post
    Finally have time to sit down and share my experience........
    Hoping this helps someone understand their EMS system better, or even gets someone to go out and get one. Everyone around me with the exception of a few had no clue they were running on low voltage.
    Check out this thread and look at my posts (#21 &27). Given the issues that campground is having I think I'd make this check too (for a reverse bootleg ground). You EMS won't find that problem.
    Last edited by traveldawg; 09-13-2022 at 09:50 AM.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @TravelDog
    Link to the thread didn't come through. Can you please share again?
    Jeff & Sherry
    2020 Imagine 2670MK
    2019 F150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4,
    HDPP, Max Tow, 6.5, ProPride

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McDugals View Post
    @TravelDog
    Link to the thread didn't come through. Can you please share again?
    @McDugals
    Sorry 'bout that. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I fixed it.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods