User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hard to close door

I've tried just about everything, to adjust our door on the 260RD. You have to slam it hard from inside, but you can close it from the outside by pushing it in. The door looks curved with the most noticeable part right where the door lock mechanism is. We're getting to the point of not even wanting to shut the door. I've adjusted the striker, I've adjusted the screen door, and lubed everything. Still have to slam it shut.
    Tom & Kim
    2022 Reflection 260RB
    2021 Ram 2500 CTD - Six Burnin Four Turning!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My guess is most people experience the same thing. I lube ours and it feels like to closes easier for about a day but then I notice it takes more force to slam it shut to solidly latch. Often when we don't use enough force and go to lock the deadbolt later, that's when we realize it wasn't fully latched. An additional tug gets it properly shut. However, of the various motorhomes and travel trailers we have had over the years, I consider our current one on par with the better of the previous units we've owned. From the outside it doesn't feel like as much force is needed but as you said then we're pushing on it rather than pulling.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbug View Post
    My guess is most people experience the same thing. I lube ours and it feels like to closes easier for about a day but then I notice it takes more force to slam it shut to solidly latch. Often when we don't use enough force and go to lock the deadbolt later, that's when we realize it wasn't fully latched. An additional tug gets it properly shut. However, of the various motorhomes and travel trailers we have had over the years, I consider our current one on par with the better of the previous units we've owned. From the outside it doesn't feel like as much force is needed but as you said then we're pushing on it rather than pulling.
    I think the latch plate needs more travel. I need a round file. Or I could drill new holes closer to the door opening. Or maybe, that's just how it's going to be. It's annoying at the very least.
    Tom & Kim
    2022 Reflection 260RB

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Snipechief View Post
    I think the latch plate needs more travel. I need a round file. Or I could drill new holes closer to the door opening. Or maybe, that's just how it's going to be. It's annoying at the very least.
    Yep, that's an option too. Just make sure you are still getting a good seal all around the door if you loosen it a bit.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can try and reverse the strike plate. That solved our hard to close door.
    Randy and Kris

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did that. Didn't work, and made it worse. Idk.
    Tom & Kim
    2022 Reflection 260RB

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Snipechief View Post
    I've tried just about everything, to adjust our door on the 260RD. You have to slam it hard from inside, but you can close it from the outside by pushing it in. The door looks curved with the most noticeable part right where the door lock mechanism is. We're getting to the point of not even wanting to shut the door. I've adjusted the striker, I've adjusted the screen door, and lubed everything. Still have to slam it shut.
    Remove the latch. How does it close now? That will at least tell you that the latch is the problem. The way they are shaped you really can't just hammer it closer to the door jamb. I see what you want the round file for. Take the latch out if the door closed with it removed and pound it straight. Then figure out where you are going to drill the ONE new hole to put it back on (you can still use one of the old holes).
    (Ordered 7/13/20) 2021 Solitude 310GK, FBP, DP, HP, Toppers, Solar, MORryde 7K IS w/Disc Brakes
    Built 9/9/20; To Paint 9/11/20 (5-6 weeks); Done Paint 10/1/20; MORryde axle upgrade 10/5/20; Done at MORryde and paid for 10/8/20; Arrived at Dealer 10/20/20; picked up 11/7/20

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pengle View Post
    Remove the latch. How does it close now? That will at least tell you that the latch is the problem. The way they are shaped you really can't just hammer it closer to the door jamb. I see what you want the round file for. Take the latch out if the door closed with it removed and pound it straight. Then figure out where you are going to drill the ONE new hole to put it back on (you can still use one of the old holes).
    Thank you, that's a good idea.
    Tom & Kim
    2022 Reflection 260RB

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was frustrated with this same problem. Eventually I found it was the camber. Fix is to bend the door frame. It took a lot of force to get mine into a good place. Before it took a lot of force to operate, the kids couldn't open or close it. Now it works like a dream.

Here is a video on how: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyLUOXT9EKI
    Last edited by JustinK; 08-22-2022 at 01:08 AM.
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R / 2021 Ford F-350 DRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinK View Post
    I was frustrated with this same problem. Eventually I found it was the camber. Fix is to bend the door frame. It took a lot of force to get mine into a good place. Before it took a lot of force to operate, the kids couldn't open or close it. Now it works like a dream.

Here is a video on how: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyLUOXT9EKI
    That's interesting. Will have to take a closer look at mine. Thanks for sharing.
    Chad

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast