User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbsah View Post
    That’s what I’m leaning towards also.
    One thing I would suggest for you to do if you are going to let them do the instal. If you have the time, and know how, run a new 12VDC circuit from the battery, back to and into the compartment area behind the fridge. The OEM 12V circuit back there will very likely not be large enough gauge wire and if they have to do it, I think they charge around $200 for that part of the install, above and beyond the labor price for the actual fridge install. I did mine myself and ran 8ga, 2 conductor cable back there. It fed off of my 12VDC buss and I also put an inline manual reset breaker in it to be able to kill that circuit if needed. They will certainly do it for you, but it just costs extra $$$ for them to do the work....if you can do it yourself.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    1. You probably are in the minority with one that works well....I'm serious. 2. If you would have had to fight with yours like I've fought with mine for THREE long years, you'd have done something different too. This was the perfect answer for my situation.
    We must be in the minority as well... We stole our 2016 Solitude 379FL in early 2017 from a private owner (It had been used only two weekends). It came with the NorCold 18 Cu Ft. side-by-side.

1. We concede that the flapper was crap and required that I re-hang the doors and actually grind down the flapper so it would fit between the upper and lower parts of the refrigerator. It works correctly now without having to manually pull the flapper closed.

2. We have been truly blessed with NOT having all of the problems with our unit Solitude that everyone else seems to be having. Knowing what I know about Ammonia Absorption refrigerators one of the first things I did was to add a thermostat bypass switch for the condenser fans so that they run ANY time the unit is calling for cold (which enables us to run a number or two lower on the setting than without the switch).

The only remaining pet peeve we have with our NorCold fridge is ice cream...and we really like ice cream! Ours keeps it cold but its more mushy than we would prefer. However, OUR NorCold is economical on propane and will run almost 48 hours that way before it complains about low power (Two batteries allow it to last 4 days).

Like I said, we have been truly blessed!
    Frank and Char + Maya, Newport, Michigan. 2016 Solitude 379FL/2006 F250 6.0 diesel w/dually conversion. 4th rain-sense roof vent, two ceiling fans, Kodiak disc brakes, Carlisle G 14-ply tires, Water Miser x2, final dump valve, water header tank, fridge cond fan switch, outside range exhaust, elec hot water anode, filtered drinking water, triple battery box,

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fez111 View Post

The only remaining pet peeve we have with our NorCold fridge is ice cream...and we really like ice cream! Ours keeps it cold but its more mushy than we would prefer.
    We found if you put ice cream in the lower left hand corner, near the back of the freezer, it kept frozen.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fez111 View Post
    We must be in the minority as well... We stole our 2016 Solitude 379FL in early 2017 from a private owner (It had been used only two weekends). It came with the NorCold 18 Cu Ft. side-by-side.

1. We concede that the flapper was crap and required that I re-hang the doors and actually grind down the flapper so it would fit between the upper and lower parts of the refrigerator. It works correctly now without having to manually pull the flapper closed.

2. We have been truly blessed with NOT having all of the problems with our unit Solitude that everyone else seems to be having. Knowing what I know about Ammonia Absorption refrigerators one of the first things I did was to add a thermostat bypass switch for the condenser fans so that they run ANY time the unit is calling for cold (which enables us to run a number or two lower on the setting than without the switch).

The only remaining pet peeve we have with our NorCold fridge is ice cream...and we really like ice cream! Ours keeps it cold but its more mushy than we would prefer. However, OUR NorCold is economical on propane and will run almost 48 hours that way before it complains about low power (Two batteries allow it to last 4 days).

Like I said, we have been truly blessed!
    If mine would have worked as well as the one that you have, I would have been OK with it for sure. The flapper was the first thing I worked on, and like you, I actually ground off some of the bottom of the flapper with some #80 grit sandpaper until it operated like it was supposed to. I also added a Titan twin fan with it's own temperature probe for control of the fans. 5 speeds on those and they were 120 or 140mm in size...mounted to the inside of the upper vent and moved much more air across the heat exchanger, but it really didn't help the fridge temperatures very much. I also tried the "muddypaws" mod to the thermistor and again...a little, but not much improvement. Enter the JC Refrigeration mod with twin 12V compressors and BOOM! It works very well. In fact, on our last camping trip a few weeks ago we each had a pint of Ice Cream for the trip and the pint sized containers were small enough to put in the freezer door storage area.....not even close to the rear of the freezer compartment. The Ice Cream was not mushy at all and you really had to push hard to even spoon it out.....and it was stored in the DOOR.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Norcold went out last September. Got a replacement cooling unit in December. Fans failed before our first trip this year. We’ve gone an entire season having to use a household fan to blow air up into the back of the trailer to keep the fridge at the proper temp. I have had enough. I read though this thread, but I’m a bit confused. We have a four door Norcold model 1210. What exactly should I be asking for if I want to have this mod done and who would I ask to do it? Thanks!
    Mike & Linda
    303RLS
    2013 F250 Turbo Diesel Crew Cab

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
    My Norcold went out last September. Got a replacement cooling unit in December. Fans failed before our first trip this year. We’ve gone an entire season having to use a household fan to blow air up into the back of the trailer to keep the fridge at the proper temp. I have had enough. I read though this thread, but I’m a bit confused. We have a four door Norcold model 1210. What exactly should I be asking for if I want to have this mod done and who would I ask to do it? Thanks!
    Hi Mike.....your Norcold 1210 is on the list at JC Refrigeration's available products for conversion. You can get it converted to the 12VDC compressor mod like I did or you can get a conversion to make it into a 120VAC compressor type fridge.

My thinking on this.........I went with a 12VDC because it can run off of the trailer battery or batteries when traveling. The 120VAC fridge can also run off of the batteries when traveling IF you have an inverter that can be used to feed the 120VAC to the fridge. If you don't already have an inverter, then you would need to buy and install one for it. In my case, I have no inverter and didn't want to go through the added expense of buying and installing one, so I went with the 12VDC conversion. In either scenario, you will likely need to upgrade your battery or batteries if you have only a single battery that is the lead acid type.

You can check out the JC Refrigeration website here, for the 12VDC twin compressor system for your 1210...https://jc-refrigeration.com/product...lacement-unit/

And here is the conversion to the 120VAC compressor conversion for your 1210.....https://jc-refrigeration.com/product...cement-unit-2/

You can purchase either one of them and pay for the unit and shipping, then install it yourself...OR...you can schedule an appt. with them and they can install it at their shop/store in Shipshewana, Indiana. A typical install by them is about $400, but you don't pay for the shipping obviously. If they have to run a new 12V circuit back to the fridge area, which they probably will on the 12VDC compressor mod, there is an extra charge for that also. If you go with the 120VAC unit and don't already have an Inverter, they can do that install at the same time as the fridge conversion.

your best bet is to call them and get some info about your options and get an estimate on cost if needed, and they will be happy to work with you. Read as much info as you can on their website.....maybe watch the install videos if you are thinking about going that direction. Hope this helps.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can ask JC Refrigeration for a 12v conversion. You'll either need to take your rig there, or have them send you the conversion kit, in which case you would either install it yourself or hire a local RV tech to do it.
    2021 Momentum 395MS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alkbch View Post
    You can ask JC Refrigeration for a 12v conversion. You'll either need to take your rig there, or have them send you the conversion kit, in which case you would either install it yourself or hire a local RV tech to do it.
    Thank you! I appreciate the response!
    Mike & Linda
    303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    Hi Mike.....your Norcold 1210 is on the list at JC Refrigeration's available products for conversion. You can get it converted to the 12VDC compressor mod like I did or you can get a conversion to make it into a 120VAC compressor type fridge.

My thinking on this.........I went with a 12VDC because it can run off of the trailer battery or batteries when traveling. The 120VAC fridge can also run off of the batteries when traveling IF you have an inverter that can be used to feed the 120VAC to the fridge. If you don't already have an inverter, then you would need to buy and install one for it. In my case, I have no inverter and didn't want to go through the added expense of buying and installing one, so I went with the 12VDC conversion. In either scenario, you will likely need to upgrade your battery or batteries if you have only a single battery that is the lead acid type.

You can check out the JC Refrigeration website here, for the 12VDC twin compressor system for your 1210...https://jc-refrigeration.com/product...lacement-unit/

And here is the conversion to the 120VAC compressor conversion for your 1210.....https://jc-refrigeration.com/product...cement-unit-2/

You can purchase either one of them and pay for the unit and shipping, then install it yourself...OR...you can schedule an appt. with them and they can install it at their shop/store in Shipshewana, Indiana. A typical install by them is about $400, but you don't pay for the shipping obviously. If they have to run a new 12V circuit back to the fridge area, which they probably will on the 12VDC compressor mod, there is an extra charge for that also. If you go with the 120VAC unit and don't already have an Inverter, they can do that install at the same time as the fridge conversion.

your best bet is to call them and get some info about your options and get an estimate on cost if needed, and they will be happy to work with you. Read as much info as you can on their website.....maybe watch the install videos if you are thinking about going that direction. Hope this helps.
    Thank you so much. I’m in MN, but we head through Indiana each summer. Im going to give them a call. Thanks again!
    Mike & Linda
    303RLS

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you so much. I’m in MN, but we head through Indiana each summer. Im going to give them a call. Thanks again!
    Glad to help Mike....and just for clarity, I am just a satisfied customer of the JC refrigeration mod....I got no compensation, discounts, free anything when I had them do it. Good luck, it was a game changer for me.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast