Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What can I tow?

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What can I tow?

Hello, first time post...I just purchased a 2022 Chevy 3500 SRW with a GVWR of 12950 and max 5th wheel 21,100lbs for the purposes of towing a 5th wheel toy hauler (with no toys, garage is for dogs). What can I tow? I will be taking it from Virginia to Texas to live in for a couple of years. Its for a family of 3 with 4 dogs (medium to large).

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would suggest running to GD lot and look at the weight plates. I found that pretty easy. Then you will see the inside as well.
    Randy and Kris

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why did you go with all that truck and leave off the training wheels?
    2021 Reflection 367BHS
    2009 Dodge 3500 4x4 Longbed MegaCab
    Electrical Engineer/Musician/Rancher
    Habbitial facebook jail inmate and soon to be banned from here

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by asirico22 View Post
    Hello, first time post...I just purchased a 2022 Chevy 3500 SRW with a GVWR of 12950 and max 5th wheel 21,100lbs for the purposes of towing a 5th wheel toy hauler (with no toys, garage is for dogs). What can I tow? I will be taking it from Virginia to Texas to live in for a couple of years. Its for a family of 3 with 4 dogs (medium to large).
    What does your payload sticker on your door jamb say?
    Max tow weights are meaningless

On another note
    Are structural issues happening with fifth wheel toy haulers because they have so much weight on the pin when there isn’t a counter weight in the garage?
    I had a friend with a huge Jayco toy hauler that they full time in that didn’t have “toys”. The front developed cracks and it had to go back to the factory for major repairs
    I don’t know this to be factual but logic makes me believe it is possible if the pin weight isn’t reduced
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First thing you need to do is look at the tire sticker inside the door of your truck and find out how much weight you can put in it. Then deduct your weight, anyone else that is riding in the truck, dogs, firewood, hitch, etc. That will give you your true allowable pin weight.

Then browse the GD website and see what falls under that weight for "average" pin weight.

It's a start.....
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First thing is to find out the actual payload of your truck. Not talking about the brochure, but what is printed on the label located on the "B" pillar. Next best is going to a CAT scale and put the truck on it, then you will know the actual weight of the truck. Knowing the actual payload will help with your decisions.

When you are figuring out the pin weights on the trailer, use 20-22% of the GVWR of the trailer. What is printed in the brochures is a marketing number that is unrealistic.

Without getting into the dually/single rear wheel debate, my truck only has a 11,800 GVWR, and been cross country in all weather with my trailer currently at 15K lbs and no driving issue's.
    Last edited by Wileykid; 08-24-2022 at 09:40 AM.
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Read through this thread in our reference library:

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...ing-Capability

... and get all the numbers for both the truck and any fifth wheel you're looking at and plug them in here:

https://changingears.com/weight-calc...ht-calculator/

Remember that published empty weights for RVs are meaningless - it all goes off the GVWR/loaded weight. Use 23% of the trailer's GVWR to estimate a loaded pin weight (the calculator above will do that for you). With fifth wheels, it's all about payload - not towing capacity.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the replies. The numbers that i put in are from the door sticker. 21,100 5th, and 12,950 GVWR. I didn't get the dually (training wheels lol) because i was told they were not needed for a camper since most dry weights are 15,000lbs +/- 1000. So if my door sticker says 5th wheel 21,100, then I should be able to tow a GD Momentum M, correct? Besides increased weight capacity and weight distribution, what am I really losing with having a SRW?

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum, glad to have you aboard. Your truck is pretty capable, I'd look at the models that would meet the needs of you and your family and then make sure your truck can tow it.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the replies. The numbers that i put in are from the door sticker. 21,100 5th, and 12,950 GVWR. I didn't get the dually (training wheels lol) because i was told they were not needed for a camper since most dry weights are 15,000lbs +/- 1000. So if my door sticker says 5th wheel 21,100, then I should be able to tow a GD Momentum M, correct? Besides increased weight capacity and weight distribution, what am I really losing with having a SRW?
    You are losing payload
    The most important figure

Extra tires on the ground increase payload

What is your payload?
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast